Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post
Any chance that a Winnipeg team would not take the Jets name back? Or take the name of Manitoba?

What about Quebec and the Nordiques?
There is no clear answer as to whether a new NHL team in Winnipeg would be called the Jets. Some people say it would be the Jets, others say the potential ownership group would transfer the name of its current AHL team, the Manitoba Moose. In order to capitalize on existing notoriety and marketing, merchandising, etc.

In Winnipeg there is a lot of talk about the return of the Jets, but also a lot about the return of the NHL.

In Quebec City the talk is all about the return of the Nordiques, and no one seriously thinks that a new NHL team there wouldn't be called the Nordiques.

The prospective owner of a new Quebec City NHL team took part in a bike tour last summer wearing a Nordiques jersey...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM

127 posts, read 192,666 times
It's good to know the Nordiques and Whalers are a shoe in if Quebec or Hartford get their team back. The Whalers jersey was a personal favorite. I confess that I thought the Nords logo was an igloo when I was a kid, but it was a unique color scheme.

Hopefully, it would be the Jets part II. The second rendition never seems as good (see the MN Wild or Charlotte Bobcats). The Jets jersey was simple but sharp.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,004 times
krudmonk- how many SC's have your CAPS won? thought so. Devils win. The NHL Should move the Panthers to Seattle and the Islanders should go to Quebec. Hartford has the Whale. The Blue Jackets may not be viable after 3 yrs but if someone put a hockey arena in the suburbs of GA, there would be at least 14K people attending games on a regular basis as long as they incent them with free parking like the minor league team has done. The Coyotes may go to KC but watch out for Nevada making a bid. One question- Would Indiana be a good place for a hockey team? Heck of a rivalry it would create between, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis and Indy. Kind of like NY/Phila/NJ

Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,270,145 times
Quebec

Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,824,569 times
What about Houston?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:50 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,994,416 times
After Winnipeg, Quebec City and Seattle! Just watch over the next 10 years!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 AM

467 posts, read 1,190,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
After Winnipeg, Quebec City and Seattle! Just watch over the next 10 years!
Well, I give that new team 5 years in Winnipeg and then it's bust...time to move on again! Why? There are around 700,000 people there...ok, 1.2 with the urban included. Not enought people to make it work. The guy who's buying the team will realize this in his 3 year.

Then it's off to Seattle, where it should have gone in the first place! As for Houston, back in the late 70's they tried to switch over from a WHA team to an NHL team. But, they couldn't even muster up 5000 season tickets. Now, 35 years later, they can probably pull it off with 4.5 million people.

However, I think a Seattle location would be better and it would make things a whole lot easier on the Vancouver Canucks. Then they might win a game! Why do you think all of those Canadian teams are down here? That's right...they pay 50% in taxes!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,343,933 times
[quote=Head coach;19614250]Well, I give that new team 5 years in Winnipeg and then it's bust...time to move on again! Why? There are around 700,000 people there...ok, 1.2 with the urban included. Not enought people to make it work. The guy who's buying the team will realize this in his 3 year.

Then it's off to Seattle, where it should have gone in the first place! As for Houston, back in the late 70's they tried to switch over from a WHA team to an NHL team. But, they couldn't even muster up 5000 season tickets. Now, 35 years later, they can probably pull it off with 4.5 million people.

However, I think a Seattle location would be better and it would make things a whole lot easier on the Vancouver Canucks. Then they might win a game! Why do you think all of those Canadian teams are down here? That's right...they pay 50% in taxes![/quote]
I disgree it was before the salary cap and at the time the canadian doller was only worth 70 cents on the US doller. now that the canadian doller is on par with the US and the cap is in place evens the teams out in terms of talent.

but if seattle gets a team I would head down to catch a few games and would support them after the canucks of course.

another team in the PNW will not have any problems filling an arena but of course bettman won't admit his little sunbelt expansion project was a failure and it makes sense to send the coyotes to a good home in seattle. then give quebec a team again and I would even say portland should also get a team and then with calgary and edmonton you have the northwest division

Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,305,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What about Houston?
Not a chance unless Les Alexander wants a team. There's no way a team can get by without a decent arena deal, and with Les and the Rockets in the Toyota Center, that won't be happening.

Seattle won't get a team without an arena, and they happily kissed away a team they already had in the Supersonics instead of building a new building. Until that happens, the Great Northwet can keep dreaming.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,976,611 times
I hear Kansas City is looking for a team. I'm not sure if they have enough fan base for an NHL team though.

The northwest U.S., for whatever reason, seems to dislike sports. Portland has one pro team in the Trail Blazers. Seattle has only the Mariners and the Seahawks. I doubt either city would support an NHL team, particularly with Vancouver just a few hours north of Seattle.

Winnipeg is definitely getting their's. With the new salary cap in place, and more parity between the U.S. and Canadian dollar, I don't see how they couldn't be successful. Keep in mind that a typical NHL area only seats between 15-20k people at full capacity. A metro area with 1.2 million is plenty for a team. Edmonton and Calgary aren't that far off in terms of population and they do just fine. Remember, Winnipeg is a Canadian city, where hockey is the only sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey