Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,390,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
As much as I would love one in Milwaukee and I would trade all our other minor league teams for one I just don't think we can support one with all the other sports going on in Milwaukee. If we were number one in AHL attendance then maybe but I don't know if cheap Milwaukeans would fit the bill for a hockey ticket plus you have the Blackhawks territory literally 21 miles away.

In Milwaukee Area for sports we have:

Milwaukee Wave
Milwaukee Admirals
Milwaukee Bucks
Milwaukee Brewers
Marquette Golden Eagles
UWM Panthers
Milwaukee Mustangs
Green Bay Packers
Milwaukee Blast
Milwaukee Bavarians
Wisconsin Badgers

These are all teams that compete for the Milwaukee area sports dollar ans sports fan time.
I've been to Milwaukee. With all due respect, the city was a dump. This was a good decade or so though, so maybe things have changed. Still...never think they could support an NHL franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 AM

8,292 posts, read 23,129,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I've been to Milwaukee. With all due respect, the city was a dump. This was a good decade or so though, so maybe things have changed. Still...never think they could support an NHL franchise.
Yeah maybe you should give it a second look, Milwaukee is not a "dump" anymore. You probably wouldn't even recognize it if you came back. Milwaukee was depressing in the 90's. My advice is take the Chicago Tribune, Sun-Times, Ny Times, La Times and many other papers advice and visit Milwaukee. MKE has made great strides in the past decade. We are in agreement that MKE could support a NHL team.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:43 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,994,268 times
And now the race to get the Coyotes out of Phoenix is down to two cities: Quebec City and Seattle! Who'll be the winner in the end, and why?! Thanks.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:28 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,997,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
And now the race to get the Coyotes out of Phoenix is down to two cities: Quebec City and Seattle! Who'll be the winner in the end, and why?! Thanks.
There's also word Jeremy Roenick may get involved with a group to keep the franchise in Glendale.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,539,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Both would be good choices... Though I'd love to have Seattle get a team just because of the proximity to where I live now. Quebec would have passionate fans, but it's such a small market. Although the metro is about the same size as Winnipeg and they're drawing crowds. And the Canadian economy is much stronger than it was in the 80s and early 90s.

But the US Pacific Northwest should have a hockey team--the Vancouver fanbase isn't very big south of BC and the WHL draws very well in Seattle and Portland.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,597,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Both would be good choices... Though I'd love to have Seattle get a team just because of the proximity to where I live now. Quebec would have passionate fans, but it's such a small market. Although the metro is about the same size as Winnipeg and they're drawing crowds. And the Canadian economy is much stronger than it was in the 80s and early 90s.

But the US Pacific Northwest should have a hockey team--the Vancouver fanbase isn't very big south of BC and the WHL draws very well in Seattle and Portland.

If Seattle isn't just blowing smoke...it should have both NBA and NHL with the PRIVATE FINANCING OF A SEATTLE ARENA... Seattle's NBA dreams may come at Sacramento's expense | NBA.com .........

Old 02-15-2012, 01:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Toss up between Kansas City and Quebec City with the edge going to KC as it already has an NHL size arena, Quebec City? the passion is there but the powers that be have to convince the Quebec tax payers to foot the bill for a new arena, its not going well at the moment...

Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,390,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Yeah maybe you should give it a second look, Milwaukee is not a "dump" anymore. You probably wouldn't even recognize it if you came back. Milwaukee was depressing in the 90's. My advice is take the Chicago Tribune, Sun-Times, Ny Times, La Times and many other papers advice and visit Milwaukee. MKE has made great strides in the past decade. We are in agreement that MKE could support a NHL team.
No, not in agreement on that. There is no way you could support an NHL franchise in your current state, IMO.

Get rid of those dreadful Bucks and you could definitely support an NHL franchise. I had this conversation just the other day with a WI native who is playing college hockey here, in Minnesota. He said exactly what I just said: Get rid of the Bucks and get an NHL franchise.

Also, you do have the Admirals still, don't you? Maybe an AHL franchise is a better fit to begin with in your market.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,997,048 times
A potential group is forming in Phoenix. At this point until someone from QC, KC or Seattle actually enters the mix I'm going to assume a deal will be reached to keep the Yotes in Phoenix.

Movement on Phoenix Coyotes ownership is coming, one way or another

Old 02-19-2012, 03:18 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,994,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
A potential group is forming in Phoenix. At this point until someone from QC, KC or Seattle actually enters the mix I'm going to assume a deal will be reached to keep the Yotes in Phoenix.

Movement on Phoenix Coyotes ownership is coming, one way or another

Not very convinced, considering Bettman's record in attracting buyers to getting the Coyotes and keeping them in Phoenix. Every single attempt (out of numerous ones) has failed so far and I don't believe the Roenick attempt would be any different. Even if this rumored buyer/ownership group succeeds in getting a deal down, they'll be getting buyer's remorse sooner than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey