Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM

406 posts, read 581,245 times

Advertisements

Details haven't been worked out. It's on ESPN right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,936,213 times
Mike Richards too, to the LA Kings..

Unbelievable..

Old 06-23-2011, 03:13 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,240,657 times
Yeah - cap issues were going to pop up ...... especially if you want to sign a goalie to a $6M-$7M per season deal (and they'll lose their exclusive negotiating rights to him fairly soon, so they needed to act)

Old 06-23-2011, 03:37 PM

looks like the bryz contract is 9 years 51M ... about 5 and a half per

Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 PM

406 posts, read 581,245 times
Bryz is going to bomb. I can see it coming.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 PM

honestly, after watching him a lot here in phoenix and living in philly I think he may have some troubles

He wasn't exactly media friendly out here and would bristle a bit when he was struggling or any criticism went his way

The flyers fan base is a pretty knowledgeable one - but very, very demanding ..... demanding of performance, demanding of time, demanding of style of play ....... if you go through struggles, you better at least do it with an attitude and a sneer

Will be interesting to see how he reacts when he hits rough patches in the season, which happen to all players. The fans are going to be tough, especially if carter and richards are performing and their replacements aren't.

The flip to that is if he wins he can be king of the city and that fanbase has been goalie starved for so long

Old 06-23-2011, 06:34 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,345,466 times
Kind of shocked by both trades and the signing of Bryz.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 AM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Too stunned for words ...

Carter alone wouldn't have shocked me; but both is a lot to swallow.

Not feeling too hopeful about the new goalie, either.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 PM

88 posts, read 132,888 times
Obviously issues in the locker room. This is Prongers' team. Richie was never really "captain" material.

Richards trade:

Flyers get a future all-star in Brayden Schenn (you wouldn't believe how many teams have tried to pry this kid from LA), Wayne Simmonds (should fit well here in Philly with his crash-and-bang-with some skill game), and a second round pick.

Carter trade:

Flyers get Jakub Voracek and a First and Third round pick. Voracek is a big winger with skill, just didn't have the opportunity to use it much in Columbus. He's young, too. 21?

Flyers basically re-stocked their early picks they gave up, they're most likely going to make another major move. I'd guess that they ship the #8 pick and Kris Versteeg to Florida for the #3 pick... that'd make me stupid-happy.

As for Bryz.... personally, I think they're bailing on Bobrovsky way too soon. That said, Bryz wont be here 9 years. It's only to reduce the yearly cap hit, but it's a front-loaded deal. Honestly, I'd be surprised to see him play 6, unless he backstops us to a cup.

Looking at the trades a day later after I've given it some thought, I think the Flyers made out well. They cleared a ton of cap room that they needed to sign Bryz and other position players, they stocked picks for the draft, and picked up some young offensive talent.

Carter, I would have traded for a bag of pucks. Gutless, but talented. Richards though, as overrated as he was at times, was a guy who once in a while would carry the team on his back and grit them to a victory. Although, he's given the Flyers brass plenty of reasons to question his heart in his tenure. I assumed he'd actually retire in the Orange and Black, but sometimes it doesn't work out.

Kudos to Paul Holmgren to having the balls to make the hard decision. Let's hope it pans out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey