Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,968,088 times

Advertisements

As of today, despite the move, the relocated Winnipeg team will still play in the Southeast division. However, I know a beter way to balance the divisions.

First, leave the Northeast and Atlantic Divisions alone.

-Move Nashville to the Southeast division. It's a true southern city, would have a good rivalry with the Hurricanes, and shorter travel times.

-Move Dallas to the Central division. It remains an all-American division, making all teams in either Midwestern or south central states.
-Move Vancouver to the Pacific division. Dallas is, like 1300 miles from the Pacific, and Vancouver/San Jose as we learned from the Western Conference Final is a good rivalry.
-Move Winnipeg to the Northwest Division. Minnesota would make a great divisional rival here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM

8,432 posts, read 7,450,345 times
My take on realignment:

Atlantic (unchanged)
New Jersey
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Philadelphia
Pittsburg

Northeast (unchanged)
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto

Southeast
Carolina
Florida
Nashville (geographically closest Western Division team to Atlanta)
Tampa Bay
Washington

Central
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Minnesota (geographically closest team to rest of Central Division teams)
St Louis

Northwest
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Vancouver
Winnipeg (geographically nearest the other Northwest Division teams)

Pacific
Anaheim
Dallas
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose

Old 06-02-2011, 01:47 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,940,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
My take on realignment:

Atlantic (unchanged)
New Jersey
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Philadelphia
Pittsburg

Northeast (unchanged)
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto

Southeast
Carolina
Florida
Nashville (geographically closest Western Division team to Atlanta)
Tampa Bay
Washington

Central
Chicago
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
St Louis

Northwest
Calgary
Edmonton
Minnesota
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Pacific
Anaheim
Colorado
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Just changed a few things from your re-alignment....

I can see yours working, but I just have the feeling that THIS is going to happen.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:47 PM

I don't really see the reason for the move of Dallas into the Central Division. Is there some rumor afloat that I'm not hearing? Or is it more about getting Colorado away from the Northwest Division and in to the Pacific?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,945,500 times
Some good suggestions here..

The real problem is where, exactly, to place the Dallas Stars, who don't really fit anywhere..especially geographically..

In light of the addition of Winnipeg, and the location of Vancouver not too far from Calgary and Edmonton, I would lean towards leaving Dallas right where it is--in the Pacific, with apologies to geography teachers everywhere..

Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,940,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I don't really see the reason for the move of Dallas into the Central Division. Is there some rumor afloat that I'm not hearing? Or is it more about getting Colorado away from the Northwest Division and in to the Pacific?
That just seems to be the majority sugguestion. Many in Dallas do complain about the Stars having to go to the West coast for divisional games and it would seem that with Nashville going to the Southeast (let's face it, that's give in) Dallas would move to it's own time zone.

Then again, I'm sure many Minnesotans would HATE to go Northwest. It's more north than west, just like Dallas is more south than west. Really, those two teams may have to go over to the drawing board.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,965,551 times
I think djmilf has the right idea. Canadian teams love to play each other and it brings Minnesota (my bias) back to the Norris division. It would probably help Columbus as well.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,356,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
-Move Nashville to the Southeast division. It's a true southern city, would have a good rivalry with the Hurricanes, and shorter travel times.
False, false, false, false, false, false, false.
Air travel distance between Nashville and:

Southeast teams:

Carolina - 451.6
Washington - 567.5
Tampa - 622.2
Florida - 789.7

total: 2,431.0

Central teams:

St. Louis - 254.0
Columbus - 334.1
Chicago - 398.7
Detroit - 470.8

total: 1,457.6

That's a difference of 973.4 miles or a 67% increase in divisional travel.

While I agree that Nashville is a true Southern city, since going into the tough Central, we have developed rivalries and remained competitive...that is where we WANT to be. Not the Southeast.

Not to mention that the entire Eastern Conference plays in Eastern Time....we are in Central. That will completely screw us on away game TV coverage. Columbus and Detroit, on the other hand, are east of us and already in Eastern Time...not to mention closer that both of those are closer to all of the Eastern Conference teams, sans Tampa and Florida (and Nashville is marginally closer than Detroit to Raleigh).

I feel like there is this big misconception that "Nashville is a Southern city, ergo they make perfect sense to plug into Atlanta's hole." Sure, Nashville is closer to Tampa and Florida than Columbus is...but did you know Columbus is closer to not only Washington, but Raleigh as well?

We already looked at Nashville's travel map, let's look at Columbus's:

Columbus to:
Washington - 328.1
Carolina - 371.0
Tampa - 832.5
Florida - 967.7

total - 2,499.3

Remember Nashville's total was 2,431.0, a difference of just 68.3 miles, and take into account that Columbus not only closer to the remaining 10 Eastern Conference teams, but is also in the same time zone in all of them.

I have several thoughts as far as potential moves the NHL could make. They could get rid of the silly geographic conferences, and go back to the old Clarence Campbell and Prince of Wales Conferences, and forget about geographic location (mix in teams from all over, kind of like baseball or football, and have the divisions be geographic).

Or you could go for the quicker fix. Since Eastern Conference folks get their panties in a bunch any time you talk about shaking up the rivalries, I won't touch the vaunted *rolls eyes* Atlantic or Northeast divisions...

Option 1: Simple moves
Winnipeg --> Northwest
Vancouver --> Pacific
Dallas --> Central
Columbus --> "Southeast"

-Pacific
--Anaheim
--Los Angeles
--Phoenix
--San Jose
--Vancouver

-Northwest
--Calgary
--Colorado
--Edmonton
--Minnesota
--Winnipeg

-Central
--Chicago
--Dallas
--Detroit
--Nashville
--St. Louis

-"Southeast"
--Carolina
--Columbus
--Florida
--Tampa
--Washington

However, the Canucks might whine about not having any Canadian buddies in their division...so they may resist the move to the Pacific.

In that case, move Colorado to the Pacific instead (much, much closer than Dallas) and keep the rest the same. Unfortunately, Minnesota would be stuck in a division where the other four are all syrup-sucking iceholes.

Also, there's the potential issue of the Central being so strong, that it always gets 3-4 teams in the playoffs.

Option 2: Complete mayhem

Clarence Campbell Conference

-West
--Calgary
--Colorado
--Edmonton
--San Jose
--Vancouver

-Central
--Buffalo
--Chicago
--Detroit
--Toronto
--Winnipeg

-East
--Carolina
--Columbus
--New Jersey
--Philadelphia
--Pittsburgh

Prince of Wales Conference

-North
--Boston
--Montreal
--New York Islanders
--New York Rangers
--Ottawa

-South
--Florida
--Nashville
--St. Louis
--Tampa
--Washington

-West
--Anaheim
--Dallas
--Los Angeles
--Minnesota
--Phoenix

This is just a rough idea...and one that would balance the time zones throughout the conferences. I tried to also balance the power and not overload divisions with too much or too little strength. Obviously, there are still some issues...no matter how you dice it, since there are so many teams in EST and so few in PST or MST, some divisions are going to be more geographically close together (and in the same time zone) while others will stretch for a thousand miles or so, and cross 3 time zones. That is just unavoidable at this time with the team (and population) balance.

-There are 16 Eastern Time Zone teams, 6 Central, 3 Mountain, (Phoenix), and 4 Pacific. I divided the time zones equally throughout the conferences, though I later moved Colorado, so one conference does have the majority of the Mountain Time Zone teams.

-I tried to equally distribute the power to the conferences, with each side having 8 of this season's playoff teams. I didn't take seeding into consideration, but for the most part, each side has its fair share of powerhouses, contenders, and bottom feeders.

-I wanted to make sure that the Canadian teams were not isolated, so I paired them up together in 3 different divisions (Vancouver-Calgary-Edmonton, Toronto-Winnipeg, Montreal-Ottawa). While there is no more Toronto-Montreal division, I did put them in the same division as Detroit and Chicago to renew their Original 6 rivalry.

-Speaking of Original 6, they are divided equally in 2 divisions and in two separate conferences, to give each side sort of a zen-like balance. In the Central Campbell, you have Chicago-Detroit-Toronto, and in the North Wales, you have Boston-Montreal-New York. I figure, if anything, it would make for great TV.

-It was tough to try to be geographically friendly to the western divisions of both conferences, due to their relative isolation. Taking into consideration the above factors, it proved especially difficult in the Wales West, where Minnesota trades their long haul with Vancouver for an equally grueling trip to Los Angeles and Anaheim. However, with Dallas in the division, there is somewhat of a natural rival (Dallas done stole their team 18 years ago) and finally a team competing in the same time zone. The rest of the division is 4/5 of the current Pacific, so that and the Campbell West are the least changed among the divisions, with only one new team. The rest of the divisions are mostly 2 and 3 team parts of current divisions forged together.

-I could have switched Dallas and Colorado to change this, but decided against it for geographic purposes.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:19 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,791,973 times
To me, moving Nashville to the Southeast division in the Eastern Conference makes the most sense, and definitely more sense than moving Columbus would if you're going to dwell on travel distances within the division. Yeah, Nashville's travel distances would increase, but they'd still be nothing compared to most teams in the Western Conference, and not enough to really affect the team too much.

As for the time difference, middle Tennessee belongs in the Eastern time zone anyway, along with Alabama and the Florida panhandle. The western edge of the Eastern time zone should be as close to 90 degrees west longitude as possible, but as it is now, it arbitrarily swings east of 85 degrees west longitude between Kentucky and the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Truth be told, I'd rather see Detroit move to the Eastern Conference. As Detroit is already in the Eastern Time Zone, it would mean that there's fewer west cost trips during the regular season and no playoff games outside of the Eastern Time Zone until the Stanley Cup Finals. Trust me, a west coast playoff game that starts at 10:30 PM EDT and ends at 1:00 AM (assuming no overtime) makes for a tough day at work the next day.

The unsubstantiated rumor in local sports media is that when the NHL moved Detroit and Toronto into the Western Conference in 1992 the league promised that these two teams would be allowed to move to the Eastern Conference as the number of western teams expanded. Toronto finally got to move east in 1998. Columbus was added as another Eastern Time Zone club in 2000.

So now there's a chance for a Western Conference team to move east and Detroit is possibly next in line for such a move. However, moving Detroit into the Eastern Conference either drops it directly into the Southeastern Division or moves it into the Atlantic Division and knocks another team into the Southeastern Division. On the one hand, I don't see Detroit as belonging to the Southeast and on the other hand I just don't see Gary Bettman rearranging the Atlantic conference and possibly ticking off the fans of at least one major market just to placate the Detroit club.

One western team has to move east and the least disruptive move for the eastern markets is simply to move Nashville or Columbus into the hole left by the departing Atlanta club in the Southeast Division. And IMO Nashville fits into that slot a lot better than a team from Ohio named the Blue Jackets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey