Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,838,515 times

Advertisements

Sharks will win next year!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,231,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Vancouver's shame....Not losing the game, but those idiots who call themselves fans rioting in the streets...Freaking trouble making thugs is all they are.
Correct those are not fans. Real Hockey fans, regardless of like/dislike watched the game, cheered, yelled, cursed, and pump their arms in either frustration or victory (for me the later). Then I watched the cup go up...and away. I folded up my Sweater...and will now sit idle for the next couple of hot months awaiting the start of another season.

I have been a Boston fan since a little boy. I grew up in the city playing street hockey...yes, in the street. My memories are faded now...but I do remember watching the games on TV38, I remember Orr, but I do not remember them lifting the cup way back then--I was only 5. Last night was a great nite for me...I only wish my Mom was around to see it--she was the Bruins greatest fan. I also am thinking of Mrs Westbrook, the old lady who lived upstairs in our double-decker house. A widow...and a die hard Canadians fan from Montreal...she taught me about hockey...and about winning and being a respectful fan of the game. She used to say...Hockey is like a religion...don't act like an a**hole when you are in the church. (BTW- she was often talking about Boston fans...LOL).

Can't wait till next year! Go BRUINS Go!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,967,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Correct those are not fans. Real Hockey fans, regardless of like/dislike watched the game, cheered, yelled, cursed, and pump their arms in either frustration or victory (for me the later). Then I watched the cup go up...and away. I folded up my Sweater...and will now sit idle for the next couple of hot months awaiting the start of another season.

I have been a Boston fan since a little boy. I grew up in the city playing street hockey...yes, in the street. My memories are faded now...but I do remember watching the games on TV38, I remember Orr, but I do not remember them lifting the cup way back then--I was only 5. Last night was a great nite for me...I only wish my Mom was around to see it--she was the Bruins greatest fan. I also am thinking of Mrs Westbrook, the old lady who lived upstairs in our double-decker house. A widow...and a die hard Canadians fan from Montreal...she taught me about hockey...and about winning and being a respectful fan of the game. She used to say...Hockey is like a religion...don't act like an a**hole when you are in the church. (BTW- she was often talking about Boston fans...LOL).

Can't wait till next year! Go BRUINS Go!
Its about respecting the game. I was dissappointed with the Vancouver fans who booed during the cup presentation. Hockey is the only sport where you end the series with a handshake. Thats a character building experience the NBA could learn from.

Last edited by Oildog; 06-16-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM

12 posts, read 13,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Its about respecting the game. I was dissappointed with the Vancouver fans who booed during the cup presentation. Hockey is the only sport where you end the series with a handshake. Thats a character building experience the NBA could learn from.
The boos weren't directed at the Bruins. That was all for that bum Bettman and he gets the same reaction everywhere he goes. After he got out of the picture the fans were cheering while the Bruins players celebrated with the cup.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM

My recall, foggy as it may be is they cheered for Lucic and another guy who was from that area. But in the beginning they booed the Bruins...after booing Bettman. A number of folks around me noted that.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,231,791 times
Yea...I think LUCIC and CAMPBELL are local guys. They gave Tim Thomas a nice ovation...hey, I can't blame them...they just lost the Stanley Cup after having the best season in the NHL. Tough loss as well.

But I just can't understand wanting to smash a window and burn down the city because of it.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 PM

12 posts, read 13,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
My recall, foggy as it may be is they cheered for Lucic and another guy who was from that area. But in the beginning they booed the Bruins...after booing Bettman. A number of folks around me noted that.
There may have been some idiots still booing but for the most part it stopped once Chara started his celebration. At least that's what I remember. Maybe my ears were playing tricks on me. There will always be emotions when the home team loses a major game like this. Most people will get over it fairly quick but there is always some that don't. I can imagine there would have been some of the same had Vancouver won in Boston.

Of course they cheered a little louder for the local boys but that is normal everywhere you go.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Yea...I think LUCIC and CAMPBELL are local guys. They gave Tim Thomas a nice ovation...hey, I can't blame them...they just lost the Stanley Cup after having the best season in the NHL. Tough loss as well.

But I just can't understand wanting to smash a window and burn down the city because of it.
I think the rioters are semi-pro anarchists that show up for 'celebratory events' with the intent of causing trouble. I mean reports were they showed up with gloves, masks, and sticks...really in June?

Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,648,689 times

YouTube - ‪Vancouver riot 2011. A SHORT FILM by Reid Gower.‬‏

Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,370,102 times
Great series; was hoping for a more suspenseful game 7, but never materialized. Congrats to Boston. I think Vancouver has a good core, and can be back next year, with some key changes.

On the flip side to the riots, does anyone have any videos in Boston? Anything similar to the scenes in Chicago last year, where some team members were partying and parading the cup downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey