Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 AM

956 posts, read 3,002,675 times

Advertisements

I have a Ka-Bar USMC, and I like it very much. It can slice, chop, pierce, dig, pry, and hammer with its pummel. However, the deep belly along with its drop-point geometry gives the tip an upward curve, not really ideal for stabbing an enemy. So, are these really "fighting knives"? I'm not saying that U.S. Marines haven't been dispatching their enemies with these things since the 1920's or whenever Ka-Bar first started making them, but are they really meant for that sort of thing? I think the blade geometry needs to really be more of a clip-point or have a shallower belly in order for the Ka-Bar USMC to really be more of a fighting knife, but on the other hand I've never used it as a combat weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 08:23 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
I don't think any knife is the ideal combat weapon, but the Ka-Bar is as good as any in that size range and purpose. There are better fixed blade knives for woodcraft, survival, etc, but for the price the Ka-Bar is a good choice.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
It's a great knife for a fist-hold, downward stabbing strike. You could stab someone in the top of the head with a K-bar that way.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Wink Ode to Fairbairn-Sykes!

The Marine Corp was also looking for a knife that provided additional functions. My Gerber Mk I (a sort of Fairbairn-Sykes {google it!} type of double-edged dagger in L-6 tool steel.) was designed specifically as a fighting and defensive knife, hence is double-edged to cut on any thrust, swipe or parry. And to penetrate all the way into the vitals. The strong sharp point concentrates pressure to easily penetrate armor vests, even helmets, etc. The K-Bar is more useful on a straight-out thrust or a downward slash. Or for opening a beer bottle or stew can!

I think they also assumed our boys would be limited in the amount of actual hand-to-hand knife fighting. The more clandestine boys did, in fact, get an issued true fighting dagger. Ouch!

check out:

The Fairbairn Sykes Commando Knife

Good huntin! But Peace, man!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
The Marine Corp was also looking for a knife that provided additional functions. My Gerber Mk I (a sort of Fairbairn-Sykes {google it!} type of double-edged dagger in L-6 tool steel.) was designed specifically as a fighting and defensive knife, hence is double-edged to cut on any thrust, swipe or parry. And to penetrate all the way into the vitals. The strong sharp point concentrates pressure to easily penetrate armor vests, even helmets, etc. The K-Bar is more useful on a straight-out thrust or a downward slash. Or for opening a beer bottle or stew can!

I think they also assumed our boys would be limited in the amount of actual hand-to-hand knife fighting. The more clandestine boys did, in fact, get an issued true fighting dagger. Ouch!

check out:

The Fairbairn Sykes Commando Knife

Good huntin! But Peace, man!
Yeah, I know the story of the Fairburn (I'm a collector).

Another knife I really like which I think is a good fighter is the Becker BK-7:

becker bk-7 - Google Image Search

It's very easy to hold, too. Not long ago I handled one at a gun show and it conforms very well to the human hand (notice the thumb ramp) and has a good balance.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,697,470 times
Default Bk-7

That BK-7 looks nice, how is the blade quality? Does it hold up like the kabar? And whats a decent price for the BK-7?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Yeah, I know the story of the Fairburn (I'm a collector).

Another knife I really like which I think is a good fighter is the Becker BK-7:

becker bk-7 - Google Image Search

It's very easy to hold, too. Not long ago I handled one at a gun show and it conforms very well to the human hand (notice the thumb ramp) and has a good balance.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:01 PM

The blade quality is excellent. I can't remember its type, but I think it's better than 1042 or whatever the Ka-Bar uses.

A good price for the BK-7 is around $50 I believe.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
i like my benchmade:

http://www.americanheritagesports.com/Images/bm175.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-03-2008, 04:35 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
My latest addition as my primary woodcraft knife. BRKT Bravo-1.
Attached Thumbnails
Is the Ka-Bar USMC Really a "Fighting Knife"?-bravo-1.jpg  

Old 12-03-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i like my benchmade:
Great piece -- expensive but worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation