Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:17 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,118,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
A lot of people collect comic books or Star Wars/Trek items and they are called "losers."
But it's "cool" when that person collects vinyl records or anything to do with the latest music.
It's also "cool" if that person collects sports-related items for teams they never played on and will never play for, but if that person likes fantasy items such as elves, fairies, trolls, ogres, wizards, knights, etc., that person is a "loser."
Why is that?
Because they are insecure. Only people who are trying too hard to be cool would make fun of someone’s personal interests. If you care that much about being cool & actually have to try harder; your priorities are screwy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Perhaps the real problem is that we live in a society where people think it's okay to criticize and mock other people with different interests from them. When I was in high school, guys who played musical instruments instead of playing on sports teams were bullied.
Yup, I was a “Bookworm” & a “Band Buddy”. Then I stayed a Band Buddy but turned into a Stoner.

I would have been much cooler if I would have stayed a Bookworm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 03:33 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,420,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I would have been much cooler if I would have stayed a Bookworm.
Ha, ha I'm still a bookworm.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,783,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Perhaps the real problem is that we live in a society where people think it's okay to criticize and mock other people with different interests from them. When I was in high school, guys who played musical instruments instead of playing on sports teams were bullied.
I played in the high school band, but I was never bullied. I don't know if being 6'2" tall when I turned 12 and weighed 190 pounds of muscles when I entered high school, had anything to do with it or not.

In my senior year, I decided to go out for basketball. I was good and would have made the first string but for one little problem. The week before the season started, I went to a big public dance. The daughter of the coach, was there with a girl friend and the other girl had the car. The other girl had a boyfriend who was a way at college, came home and went to the dance and they wanted to leave. The coaches daughter asked me if I could give her a ride home. I did and we were sitting in front of her house just talking when her father got home a day early from a conference, and as he walked by my car slapped it and got our attention and said, "I see you have quit the team". That ended my sports career. The fact we were supposed to go to bed by 10 as team members, and the other fact it was 3 a.m. when he came home may have had a little to do with it.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:51 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,398,947 times
hobbies or collections?

I never understand anyone who has a "Collection" of their favorite item. Is collecting a hobby?

I don't consider anyone a loser if they have a "Collection" of a certain item. I just don't understand the "clutter" aspect of it. The "Why" of it?

Old 01-02-2018, 06:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,402,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I played in the high school band, but I was never bullied. I don't know if being 6'2" tall when I turned 12 and weighed 190 pounds of muscles when I entered high school, had anything to do with it or not.
Possibly being larger can prevent a lot of bullying, although some tall people certainly get bullied.

Knew several guys who played the cello, the organ and violin. Bullied like crazy. I lived in an area where football players are worshipped and people don't listen to classical music that much. Just narrow minded attitudes about what men should do or be interested in.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:55 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,485,897 times
I think it's as simple as this. People who have few pleasures in this life will mock those who do.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,402,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I think it's as simple as this. People who have few pleasures in this life will mock those who do.
I used to have a friend who mocked people who sought out higher education, learned other languages or did anything intellectually stimulating. She was just a dumb party girl who wanted to hang out in bars. She mocked me for taking a French class to learn the language. She also mocked her friend who collected vintage dolls. She just had no real interests outside of shopping and bar-hopping and couldn't understand why anyone else did.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:45 PM

497 posts, read 485,685 times
It comes down to people that have nothing better to do than judge others. Certain hobbies may not interest me, but it really doesn't matter that others enjoy it. A "loser" is someone who constantly feels the need to disapprove of others choices, especially when it has no impact on them whatsoever.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:18 PM

231 posts, read 251,486 times
A buddy once told me that when you point a finger at somebody, the other 3 fingers are pointing back at you. From the times I've seen people labeling others as losers, it was usually because they wanted to somehow prove whatever point they were trying to make. Kind of a spurious argument that never seemed to prove anything.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:24 PM

10,916 posts, read 7,427,734 times
who cares what somebody else thinks is cool? You have to pursue your own interests, and do what you love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation