Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:09 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I wasn't paying much attention when watergate was happening, I tried to come in later but it had gotten so complicated that it was hard for me to grasp.
I finally watched the actual Frost/Nixon interview last night and Pres Nixon really moved my heart. I don't know if he was lying to Frost, telling the truth or a little bit of both but for me last night, he truly moved me.

To the ones who followed it from the beginning, what are your thoughts?
If your heart was moved during the Nixon interview, it was angina. See your doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 12:49 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
Nixon had always taken agressive approaches to overcoming his opponents.When his administration took that philosphy beyond legal limits, the country was faced with the lawbreaking activities of the executive who was responsible for carrying out the laws of the land.after a long investigation, the federal system, under the guidelines of the Consitution, followed the process for expelling the chief executive for high crimes and misdemeaners.Nixon resigned The system worked. Nixon's refusal to make his secret Oval Office audiotapes public entangled him in a web that ultimtely brought him down.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:53 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
Nixon had always taken agressive approaches to overcoming his opponents.When his administration took that philosphy beyond legal limits, the country was faced with the lawbreaking activities of the executive who was responsible for carrying out the laws of the land.after a long investigation, the federal system, under the guidelines of the Consitution, followed the process for expelling the chief executive for high crimes and misdemeaners.Nixon resigned The system worked. Nixon's refusal to make his secret Oval Office audiotapes public entangled him in a web that ultimtely brought him down.
He did make them public. That's the evidence that used to bring impeachment, and force him to resign.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:04 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Other presidents could have suffered the same consequences. I'm not saying Nixon was right, just that he wasn't the only one doing it. The idea that Nixon was this major exception to the rule is a delusion some people are still walking around with, all these years later, even after all sorts of revelations about presidents like LBJ have become known.
Nixon was the biggest crook this country ever elected president. Whining won't change that.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
He did make them public. That's the evidence that used to bring impeachment, and force him to resign.
The courts made them public, Nixon was a crook until the end.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
If you think LBJ and JFK didn't engage in some of that sort of activity, you're quite naive.
"Some sort of that activity..."

As another poster quite correctly pointed out on another thread in this forum, the is the History Forum as such posters are expected to discuss facts not mere opinion and when they do so they should be prepared to substantiate their argument. "Some sort of that activity, doesn't even rise to casual conversation much less anything approaching a serious historical discussion.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:14 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
The courts made them public, Nixon was a crook until the end.
I know he was a crook, just wondering if the country was 100% against him as far as sympathy was concerned. Did anybody feel compassion in any way after the last Frost interview in 1977? Did they continue to hate him? Did those who were imprisoned hate him? Did they blame him?

Old 06-05-2010, 01:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
I know he was a crook, just wondering if the country was 100% against him as far as sympathy was concerned. Did anybody feel compassion in any way after the last Frost interview in 1977? Did they continue to hate him? Did those who were imprisoned hate him? Did they blame him?
No one is 100% against anyone in this country, hell there are people who still think that Charles Manson is a hero. As for Nixon, the Frost interviews did nothing to rehabilitate Nixon's image. I would rather believe that it cemented it in the minds of most of the American public.

By the way, which interview did you watch, the actual interviews or the Ron Howard mochumentary?

Old 06-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I'm sure his wife and daughter felt sympathy. For the rest of the country -- not so much.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:48 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Some sort of that activity..."

As another poster quite correctly pointed out on another thread in this forum, the is the History Forum as such posters are expected to discuss facts not mere opinion and when they do so they should be prepared to substantiate their argument. "Some sort of that activity, doesn't even rise to casual conversation much less anything approaching a serious historical discussion.
OK, you're right. Nixon and only Nixon did anything illegal. No other president did any of the things that Nixon did. LBJ in particular was an absolute Boy Scout.

There, happy now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History