Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 10:10 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,306,309 times

Advertisements

Not every SS unit was elite, in fact most of them weren't.

In the beginning they were all elite but as the war dragged on they had to accept many soldiers without giving them the intense training that the original elite soldiers got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:16 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,306,309 times
While I agree that Hitler’s decision to invade the Soviet Union was driven by ideology, obtaining natural resources was a key factor as well

Hitlers decision to attack Russia was because he knew of the mass murders that were comitted by the Soviets and he knew that if they over ran Germany they would kill millions of Germans. He spoke about that many times before the invasion. And also the Soviets had openly stated that they wanted to over run Germany and bring the Germans into the Marxist orbit. After all communism is expansionist by its basic philosophy. But I agree that along with that Hitler had other things in mind also. But it can be stated that one of the main reasons for Hitlers rise in the first place was because of the communist threat.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:26 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,469,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post

I am not a Nazi, have never been one, never handed out Nazi material or went to pro Nazi demonstration. I am a self learned objective historian.
I didn't call you one, and you know it, so those are all straw men. I just pointed out that your every post related to the subject favors them or glorifies them.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:05 PM

26,798 posts, read 22,587,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The average German unit was just that, average. They certainly had their elite troops, but not every unit in the Wehrmacht was the equivalent of the 116th Panzer Division, the "Windhunds".

There was at least one other force that trained their troops to an even greater extent than the Germans, armed them with what are arguably the best weapon systems in the war and exercised an even greater degree of fire control and combined arms integration; the United States. Early in the conflict, the Germans had the edge since many of their troops were veterans and they were always on the defensive against the US, but as the American troops gained experience they were easily the equal of the German soldiers and their equipment and integrated fire support gave them an immense edge.

Just further evidence that wars are decided on logistics and resources. Something the US and Britain had in spades. It doesn't matter how good individual German units were, they were simply overwhelmed.

Even "supermen" have their weaknesses and all the training and indoctrination in the world weren't going to overcome the inherent weaknesses of the German war machine, resources and logistics.
NJ, there is something common between Russians and Germans, in spite of the fact that at the same time their national characters are quite opposite to each other. This "something common" is the depth of their beliefs and convictions; it's the inseparable part of their national characters to not to take anything lightly. They are very different in that sense from Anglo-Saxons (and French) as I've noticed.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
VW's were great cars, probably the best for the price range. Trabant was a Soviet design.

German engineering and efficiency is unmatched in the world.
What "Soviet design?"

Old 12-17-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
NJ, there is something common between Russians and Germans, in spite of the fact that at the same time their national characters are quite opposite to each other. This "something common" is the depth of their beliefs and convictions; it's the inseparable part of their national characters to not to take anything lightly. They are very different in that sense from Anglo-Saxons (and French) as I've noticed.
PS. Ahh... Siberians by the way)))
«

(scroll down a bit pls - this is the video made during the protest against the rigged elections in Novosibirsk)

Old 12-18-2011, 03:38 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
I don't know where you get that idea. There were many russians fighting on the side of the Germans. Veslovs troops for instance. The Germans were out to put an end to communism, not the Russian people.
The Nazi ideology was pretty clear on the Slavic people's role in the Thousand-year Reich, and it was slavery. They might have been willing to at least temporarily reward whatever quislings would join, but the Russian people were Untermenschen, to be used as needed and disposed with when in the way. Or as one of their chief ideologues put it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich Himmler
Whether nations live in prosperity or starve to death interests me only in so far as we need them as slaves for our culture: otherwise it is of no interest to me. Whether ten thousand Russian females fall down from exhaustion while digging an anti-tank ditch interests me only in so far as the anti-tank ditch for Germany is finished. We shall never be tough and heartless where it is not necessary, that is clear. We, Germans, who are the only people in the world who have a decent attitude towards animals, will also assume a decent attitude towards these human animals. But it is a crime against our blood to worry about them and give them ideals, thus causing our sons and grandsons to have a more difficult time with them. When somebody comes up to me and says: 'I cannot dig the anti-tank ditch with women and children, it is inhuman, for it would kill them,' then I have to say: 'You are the murderer of your own blood, because if the anti-tank ditch is not dug German soldiers will die, and they are the sons of German mothers. They are our own blood...

Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Get real, it was German scientists kidnapped after the war that build the A bomb and put a man on the moon.
Ehm - the A-bomb was built during the war. And not by Germans.

Quote:
Nothing more sad than a hater without a clue.
I guess we can agree on that.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 PM

47 posts, read 87,091 times
Quote:
There was at least one other force that trained their troops to an even greater extent than the Germans, armed them with what are arguably the best weapon systems in the war and exercised an even greater degree of fire control and combined arms integration; the United States. Early in the conflict, the Germans had the edge since many of their troops were veterans and they were always on the defensive against the US, but as the American troops gained experience they were easily the equal of the German soldiers and their equipment and integrated fire support gave them an immense edge.

Blah. The U.S. troopes never fought the eastern front German troops. Many of the troops that americans fought were teenagers. The 12th SS division was comprised of Hitler youth.

Apparently you never heard of the Battle of the Bulge where the U.S. Army fought against elite S.S. Panzer Divisions. Get your facts straight.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

Americans do fall behind though in mustache waxing, heel clicking, sharp uniforms and blind obedience.
I agree with this assessment lol.
The nation of poets, great musicians and thinkers that Germans are, the nation of scientists and indeed great engineers at the same time has rather dark side to it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History