Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
It seems to me that many talk about how many of the confederates were scottish or of scotch/irish descent.
A lot were. But so were a lot of Union soldiers. However, I think there were more Germans in the Union army by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 03:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
There were a couple of heavily Irish regiments (meaning "real" Irish, Celtic Catholics, not Presbyterian Germanic Scots from Ulster).....
Oooof.....My father's ancestors are no doubt doubled over in fits of laughter, but I can already hear my mother's spinning in their graves like windmills!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,670 times
All these immigrants fighting for the North now I know why the South lost the war. Not that I'm for slavery. I just hate losing period.

Kind of like when you play baseball or football ect. I know this makes me a sore loser.

This war happened many a years ago and I still hear comments of Dam Yankee, Dam Rebel.

I get a big kick out of it because Florida wasn't really in the American Civil war. It affected Florida in the Northern part of Florida. Florida was one of the few southern states saved the ravages of the civil war. However Florida did play a part in the war.

Florida was part of it but slavery was more in Northern Florida vs Southern Florida. Slaves ran from the owner to Florida to be free. We had alot of blacks in Florida but most of them were brought in by the Spanish and were not slaves. Slavery was more in North Florida vs South Florida. Those of them that did own slaves in Florida had very strict rules no whipping of slaves no saleing of family members ect. To become free in Florida all you had to do was get baptised.

Last edited by Starlady01; 09-23-2009 at 04:20 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,199 times
Well North Florida is considered by many to be just southern georgia....i go to st augustine all the time and love it...the general area of a lot of north florida has a very rural/country feel, compared to where as a lot of southern florida is very built up and more urban. And even politically there is a big difference as well...in the end north, and even central florida is quite a bit different then south florida...of course you have jacksonville in the north and some rural areas in the south, but generally speaking there is still a big difference.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:08 AM

571 posts, read 1,318,163 times
There was a blockade in effect for the Southern ports so I don't think there was much immigration to the States in rebellion during the 1861-1865 time frame.
It is interesting though that immigration to the U.S. did continue during the war. Those people must have had a lot of faith in the country. Think for a minuite - would people immigrate to say Bosnia or Serbia during their troubles?

Old 10-04-2009, 02:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
Florida was one of the few southern states saved the ravages of the civil war.
To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld... There weren't any good targets in Florida!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
Those people must have had a lot of faith in the country.
Well, think about it also.... Regardless of the outcome, the North/Union wasn't going anywhere. So what's the risk in going to New York? You're either part of the United States with southern states included, or without...

Old 10-05-2009, 07:27 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
I don't have any statistics but the rosters of both sides were full of immigrants in the civil war, some of their higher ranks used to serve in the military of Europe. The south had it's Irish brigades and German brigades. Irishman Patrick Cleburne was an excellent divisional commander (anglo-Irish actually, for those stuck on details). The north had a whole army corps almost full of German's. Fritz Sigel's corp - most spoke no more english than "we fight mit Sigel". Language was actually a problem in the northern ranks with some of these immigrants. At Malvern Hill the union couldn't stop their own artillery batteries from firing because they all spoke German, they needed a translater first.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,199 times
I read some where that there were more scotsman then irishmen that foughts for the confederacy.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
There was probably some Irish Brigades fighting in the north (New york's 69th regiment?, the Irish were anti-slavery while in Ireland (part of their Anti British sentiment) but once in the states they became anti -abolitionist, they saw the emancipation of the slave a direct competitor and a source of cheap labor. They still fought for the union. when they immigrated here in 1845 after the famine they were afraid to settle too far south for fear that they could be enslaved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History