Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:03 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,425 times

Advertisements

I've seen it before a lot. Someone's born in 1980 so they know nothing about the 80s, and their memory starts in 1990. Born in 1990, and they can't remember before MySpace came out. I'm sure in 2018, those born in 2000 will be told they can't remember 2009.

I think those born very early in a decade, like in the 0 or 1 year, can say that decade is a part of their time. I was born in 1990 and I can remember more than half the 90s, and the end of the 90s is a period very clear on my mind. It's not like I was born in 1995 or something.

If I were born a month earlier, in December 1989 instead of January 1990, people would give me more 90s credit. I see the real boundary as more like 1991.

90S FOREVER!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
no matter what you say, you sound very young and immature. being born does not do anything but give you a heart that beats and eyes that see.

when you grow up you will see that decades, or time eras, are seen in comparison and contrast to previous eras. your understanding of the 90's (if you were born in the 90's) is very limited because you have not seen what the 80's were like. and on top of that, your popular memories will also be limited. you dont start remembering till after you are 5 years old or in first grade. which whould be around 95 or 96. thats only half a decade.
even if you were born in 89, you would still not be old enough to remeber what was happening in the 90's. you would not know if the movie you are seeing is a remake. if the song you love is a cover. your history is very limited.

thats why you dont know much.

now stop complaining.

just wait and be patient and you will know about life.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:02 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
A child's view or experience of a decade is going to be very different from an adults or even a teens view/experience of it. It's not that people think you know nothing about it, they're just aware that your perspective will be very different so when it comes to adult or teen matters of that decade, your memory will be very limited.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
no matter what you say, you sound very young and immature. being born does not do anything but give you a heart that beats and eyes that see.

when you grow up you will see that decades, or time eras, are seen in comparison and contrast to previous eras. your understanding of the 90's (if you were born in the 90's) is very limited because you have not seen what the 80's were like. and on top of that, your popular memories will also be limited. you dont start remembering till after you are 5 years old or in first grade. which whould be around 95 or 96. thats only half a decade.
even if you were born in 89, you would still not be old enough to remeber what was happening in the 90's. you would not know if the movie you are seeing is a remake. if the song you love is a cover. your history is very limited.

thats why you dont know much.

now stop complaining.

just wait and be patient and you will know about life.

This wouldn't make being born in 1989, or even 1987 better though, right? You're saying you have to remember the 80s?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,933,822 times
The 1st half in your decade of existence will be meaningless (5 yrs). Makes no difference what year your born as the 1st year you are nursing/bottle fed and the next two yrs are spent being potty trained (terrible two's). At 4-5 yrs of age things start to change. You should start to develop some thought processes and will remember these things in the future. That is just about it. Raised five so do have a little experience. You are very young and the word imature referred too in a early post says it well. Relax, you have more important things in life to worry about. Steve

Old 09-24-2008, 05:41 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
This wouldn't make being born in 1989, or even 1987 better though, right? You're saying you have to remember the 80s?
why are you stuck on better or worse. thats childish.

you are completely missing the point.

o deary.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,132,178 times
Sometimes a big event can happen before your 10 years old, that you cant really get a handel on. But the reactions of it by older people around you can drive you crazy, because you know it must be important. and you want to learn more. For some, it might be 9-11 or the Monica Lewinski thing, or JFK assassination, or in my case, Watergate.

When I got older I just kept soaking in as much as I could get on it. Because I was there, to see the president resign with my family, as he gave his final address, wondering WHY, and needing to know more than "because he was a crook"

What a spectacular way to learn about how the government works, The President, Attorney General, Congress, CIA, FBI, by looking at how the watergate break-in hatched, unfolded, and was covered up, how it was prosecuted, the scapegoats and saturday night massacre, with tapes to back everything up. Thats why people tend to forgive Nixon. They know darn well he could of destroyed those tapes at any time before Cox requested them. And it would of saved his presidentcy. But he didn't.

Somewhere, theres 9-11 experts out there that were 8 years old when it happened, and know every little detail about it, far beyond what most adults remember of it. Especially if they lost someone close, and lived in NYC. An 8 year old can know more than you might think, being there matters.

Last edited by mofford; 09-24-2008 at 10:11 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,263,662 times
From 1-10, a child's world is extremely self-centered and his/her experience is very limited. From 10-20, the child should grow out of the self-centered view and start understanding how the larger world works along with beginning to shape his or her path thru life. There's a reason children are minors and are not given full citizenship rights and responsibilities. Of course you can remember a large part of your first decade, but only thru your narrow child's eyes. But then again, there are many who are perpetually the emotional age of 2-3.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
I was born in 1962, and could read when I was four. I was reading the newspaper by the time I was six and watched the nightly news without fail every evening. Let me tell you, 1968 was not a good time to gain awareness of the world. I remember the Tet Offensive, the murders of MLK and RFK, the Democratic convention, Nixon winning the White House, and Apollo 8 circling the moon. I would want to discuss these things at the dinner table with my poor parents. I'm not saying that I was an expert on the decade, but I sure had awareness. In fact, I think I knew more about what was going on than my first-grade teacher. Mrs. Purcell was a dingbat.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Born in 1971 here and consider myself a "Child of the 80s".... Was I semi-cognizant during the 70s??? Yeah, I remember hearing the BeeGees on the radio and that Jimmy Carter was President, but as far as having a relative feel for the decade???

No, not really..... It's not an insult guy, just reality... My decade that I truly feel I 'Grew up in' is the 80s.....

I mean seriously, a big music icon of the 90s was Kurt Cobain. What do you "remember" about him or Nirvana??? Not much..... He was dead before you were in Kindergarten.

Just an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.