Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,260 times

Advertisements

I have been recently reading up on the Mongol Invasion of Europe. I actually never knew Mongols went near Germany. Mostly heard of them taking over Asia and Russia. From what I read seems like Mongols attacked Eastern Europe for bit and then headed back because Genghis Khan died.

Seemed like they never actually wanted to conqueror Europe, is that right? From info on Wikipedia, looks like they did few attack and pretty much left after that. Do think mongols could have actually gone all the to Central Europe? Mongols are interesting to me since they had just 1-2 hundred year of being all power and then after that turned into a powerless country, like it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 02:38 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,765 times
I'd say they basically stopped in the Slavic territories of Eastern Europe. Hungary probably marks their farthest ventures west. If in Germany proper, I'd say it was probably for only a brief time, as there's really no genetic evidence of Mongol admixture in Germans.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:40 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
I think the Mongols are part of the Big 3 Asiatic tribes to invade Europe starting with the Huns in the 400's A.D to 460's A.D. and the also the Avars from around 550's A.D. to around 800's A.D. All 3 of these came very close to conquering Europe during their times.

I believe the Mongols had the largest land mass Empire ever if i'm correct on that as it was mainly todays Northern and Western China along with most of Russia, Ukraine and Eastern Europe.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:58 PM

594 posts, read 1,778,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I think the Mongols are part of the Big 3 Asiatic tribes to invade Europe starting with the Huns in the 400's A.D to 460's A.D. and the also the Avars from around 550's A.D. to around 800's A.D. All 3 of these came very close to conquering Europe during their times.

I believe the Mongols had the largest land mass Empire ever if i'm correct on that as it was mainly todays Northern and Western China along with most of Russia, Ukraine and Eastern Europe.
6/3,

I , too, always thought the Mongols had the largest contiguous land mass empire, but the Soviet Union was a contender for largest. The following link has an interesting line-up of empires:

www.web.raex.com/obsidian/earthrul.html (broken link)

Last edited by John Walmsley; 09-12-2008 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: tried to correct link

Old 09-12-2008, 05:18 PM

594 posts, read 1,778,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
6/3,

I , too, always thought the Mongols had the largest contiguous land mass empire, but the Soviet Union was a contender for largest. The following link has an interesting line-up of empires:

www.web.raex.com/obsidian/earthrul.html (broken link)
Sorry that link didn't seem to work, but I was able to access the article by entering the following title on the search line:

To Rule the Earth ...

Old 09-13-2008, 10:10 AM

63 posts, read 213,269 times
It is said that "one can conquer an empire on a horseback, but one cannot rule an empire on a horseback". I think its their lack of organization of civil matters that causes it, and a change of culture of the choosing of the Khan. The Khan used to be appointed by all Mongol tribes, but since the change to hereditary system, there has been quite a sum of unrest...

Old 09-13-2008, 10:22 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
For the record: I have a friend of mine who is of ethnic Hungarian heritage and definitely has Asian facial features (high cheekbones, slanted eyes with the epicanthic folds, etc.)--------------never mind she is counted as an Anglo White here in Arizona. She gets mistaken for American Indian, Filipina, etc. all the time.

And the irony is I too am of 1/2 Hungarian lineage yet I am Nordic White in appearance.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
There is a strong correlation between the Mongols and proto Turks

Xiongnu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-11-2008, 03:50 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I have been recently reading up on the Mongol Invasion of Europe. I actually never knew Mongols went near Germany. Mostly heard of them taking over Asia and Russia. From what I read seems like Mongols attacked Eastern Europe for bit and then headed back because Genghis Khan died.

Seemed like they never actually wanted to conqueror Europe, is that right? From info on Wikipedia, looks like they did few attack and pretty much left after that. Do think mongols could have actually gone all the to Central Europe? Mongols are interesting to me since they had just 1-2 hundred year of being all power and then after that turned into a powerless country, like it is today.
I think 1 in 20 males in the world today is a direct descendent of that Khan guy whether their last name is Khan or not. Meaning, this is especially true if someone's last name is Khan.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:31 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
Gotta respect the mongols, waste not, want not. (they ate the afterbirth from their livestock)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History