Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 11:17 AM

128 posts, read 116,931 times

Advertisements

Thanks. What do you think about the possible options for places that the Vikings visited in Canada/the US like I put in my thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 11:41 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakovskii View Post
Thanks. What do you think about the possible options for places that the Vikings visited in Canada/the US like I put in my thread?
I would love to answer but I am not sure I follow the question.

Old 07-24-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I would love to answer but I am not sure I follow the question.
I made a thread asking about this here, namely, Which places in southeast Canada and the US did the Vikings visit?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hist...anada-did.html

Old 07-24-2023, 12:08 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
The Black Plague never reached the Nordic Greenlanders and did not make it to Iceland until 1400, when it wiped out half the population. Smallpox was likely more common. The saga mentions that a sailor on Lief Ericson's first visit to Vinland had a disease that he picked up in Spain that, as described, has been recognized as smallpox. He was driven out of the Greenlanders camp and disappeared into history. Whether he contaminated the native population is unknown.

In European populations it was widespread but actual transmission required close contact. It may have been more virulent once it arrived among the Indian tribal populations. To my knowledge there is no historical narrative or folklore of a major identified smallpox epidemic in the Americas before Cortés arrived in Mexico. Later, between 1617-1619, 90% of the Massachusetts Bay Indians died of smallpox. As a deadly disease, it spread rapidly in the Americas with 60% to 90% of the Inca population wiped out before Pizarro even arrived in Peru.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Smallpox was likely more common. The saga mentions that a sailor on Lief Ericson's first visit to Vinland had a disease that he picked up in Spain that, as described, has been recognized as smallpox. He was driven out of the Greenlanders camp and disappeared into history. Whether he contaminated the native population is unknown.
It's cool that you are familiar with the Sagas. It reminds me of the hypothesis that the Maine coon cat is descended from cats brought by the Vikings because it's related to the Norse cat. I also heard that this cat was brought by English settlers.

Quote:
Maine Coon cats originate in Wiscasset, Maine in the United States. Their lineage is surrounded by mystery and myths.
One of the more likely Maine Coon historical myths relates to the Vikings.
Vikings were known for sailing the seas and kept ship cats on board their vessels to ensure the mice population was kept at bay.
The premise of this myth is that the Maine Coon descends from the Norwegian Skogkatt, thought to have been brought over by the Vikings.
The Norwegian Skogkatt and its counterparts, the Swedish Rugkatt, and the Danish Racekatte have various similar physical traits to the Maine Coon.
All of these cat breeds have evolved in climates considered to be harsh and challenging, and many argue that Maine Coons might descend from one of these cat breeds.
Folk legend talks of boats mooring up on land, and ship cats being let off the vessels onto dry land.
https://www.mainecooncentral.com/whe...riginate-from/

Old 07-26-2023, 03:38 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
As others mentioned Vinland was most likely a bit further south than Newfoundland as grapes do not grow on Newfoundland. Here is the distribution of the native Fox Grape (wild form of the Concord grape)

As you can see the highest concentrations are in New England and the Mid Atlantic region

Furthermore at the L’Anse aux Meadows site, there were plant seeds such as the butternut found that would indicate they at least traded with people much further south to obtain them.

Butternuts

Most likely L’Anse aux Meadows was not their main settlement on North America, but rather just a trading post.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
If the Vikings did go further south, they likely wiped out Natives before Columbus. The Vikings would have had diseases prior to the Black Death.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
As others mentioned Vinland was most likely a bit further south than Newfoundland as grapes do not grow on Newfoundland.
Furthermore at the L’Anse aux Meadows site, there were plant seeds such as the butternut found that would indicate they at least traded with people much further south to obtain them.
Greg,
The Sagas don't seem clear as to whether either the top of Newfoundland or the first cape (ie. Cape Kjalarnes) that the Vikings reached when they sailed south of Newfoundland would be considered Vinland.

On one hand, "Vinland" means Vine/Grape-Land according to the Sagas, because they found grapes there. In the Saga of the Greenlanders, they say that they get to Cape Kjalarnes and sail west, and make camp, find grapes, and they call the land Vinland. This seems to imply that Leif's camp was west of L'Anse aux Meadows, as L'Anse aux Meadows on the top of Newfoundland's northernmost peninsula. This story might also mean that the whole "land" might be called Vinland, including Cape Kjalarnes. I made a thread laying out this geography in the Greenlanders' Saga here, and would be interested in your opinion: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hist...anada-did.html

But in Eric's Saga, they say that they sail east of that cape, find grapes, and then later they sail back up to that same cape and plan to sail westward in order to find Vinland. This would seem to mean that Vinland was the part of the coast west of Cape Kjalarnes with the Grapes. I am attaching my own map of what this layout would look like, based on Eric's Saga, which might not be the same as the one in the Greenlanders' Saga.

On the other hand, if we want to use the range of wild grapes to decide where Vinland was, I should add that I repeatedly read online that in 1000 AD, wild grapes grew on Newfoundland. I recall that one place online even claimed that they grew on L'Anse aux Meadows, but I don't know if that was factual or not.
Attached Thumbnails
What would have happened if the Vikings discovered more of the Americas further south from Vinland?-eric-red-vinland-map-names.png  

Old 07-27-2023, 06:45 AM

676 posts, read 407,837 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jntqVK0YLQ

Thought this documentary might intrigue you all. I haven't time myself to watch all of it right now, but it's about Lief Eriksson and how he could have changed the world.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:54 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakovskii View Post
Greg,
The Sagas don't seem clear as to whether either the top of Newfoundland or the first cape (ie. Cape Kjalarnes) that the Vikings reached when they sailed south of Newfoundland would be considered Vinland.

On one hand, "Vinland" means Vine/Grape-Land according to the Sagas, because they found grapes there. In the Saga of the Greenlanders, they say that they get to Cape Kjalarnes and sail west, and make camp, find grapes, and they call the land Vinland. This seems to imply that Leif's camp was west of L'Anse aux Meadows, as L'Anse aux Meadows on the top of Newfoundland's northernmost peninsula. This story might also mean that the whole "land" might be called Vinland, including Cape Kjalarnes. I made a thread laying out this geography in the Greenlanders' Saga here, and would be interested in your opinion: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hist...anada-did.html

But in Eric's Saga, they say that they sail east of that cape, find grapes, and then later they sail back up to that same cape and plan to sail westward in order to find Vinland. This would seem to mean that Vinland was the part of the coast west of Cape Kjalarnes with the Grapes. I am attaching my own map of what this layout would look like, based on Eric's Saga, which might not be the same as the one in the Greenlanders' Saga.

On the other hand, if we want to use the range of wild grapes to decide where Vinland was, I should add that I repeatedly read online that in 1000 AD, wild grapes grew on Newfoundland. I recall that one place online even claimed that they grew on L'Anse aux Meadows, but I don't know if that was factual or not.
Well now days people do grow grapes in Newfoundland, but only in the warmest southern areas, L'Anse aux Meadows is at the most northern tip where trees can barely grow let alone grapes (which require large sturdy trees to climb as they have 50ft long canes that can crush a tree under its weight). And yes there was the medieval warm period but it wasn’t significantly warmer than today (we have fully recovered from the little ice age). So it’s possible that that “Vinland” was southern Newfoundland, and thus their main settlement would’ve been there, but if you are going to name a place after grapes, it must mean that they were easy to find, not some fringe case needle in the haystack, so I’m more inclined to guess at the most conservative Nova Scotia, but possibly New England with it’s higher prevalence there.

As far as the west east thing, well Newfoundland is pretty far east, all of North America is to the west of it, the most eastern point of Nova Scotia is to the west of Newfoundland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History