Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times

Advertisements

How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to power | World news | The Guardian

I am not one to feel the sins of the Father or in this case the sins of the Grandfather should be visited upon the son but I thought this an interesting story to share. I frankly didn't know anything about the Grandfather of our present President and thought this interesting.

Very sad if its true.

I couldn't feel good about having money made by an association of this kind.

* The Third Reich and the Bush family (Prescott Bush - a fundraiser for the Nazi Party).

There are alot of links with information about this. I just googled "George Bush" and "Nazi Germany".

Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
This is quite an old story that's getting rehashed, as it should since few people saw it the first time around.

Ex-president, GHWBush, has his ties with the Carlyle Group;it also sells arms.

It's their family business.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Be careful with those sites, it will hard to get a non-biased opinion for obvious reasons.

I see it doesn't mention that George Bush Sr was a fighter pilot in the Pacific theather of WW2, flew over 50 missions in a squadron that had a 50% casualty rate, was shot down, earned the distinguished flying cross and 3 other air medals.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:12 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Good Grief, what crap.

Hitler rose to power on the backs of the German and Austrian peoples' desire to end chaos. The only thing the US had to do with him was his assisting with his downfall. Yet another pathetic attempt to classify the Bush dynasty as Superhumans with powers beyond those of ordinary men.

As for the Carlyle Group, they are a legitimate investment group. They do not sell arms. They invest in companies that do. The last time I looked, there was nothing illegal about manufacturing or selling arms or investing in companies that do so. If your personal morals prevent you from that kind of investing, fine. Best check your mutual funds and pensions as the military-industrial complex is bigger than the Carlyle Group.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to power | World news | The Guardian

I am not one to feel the sins of the Father or in this case the sins of the Grandfather should be visited upon the son but I thought this an interesting story to share. I frankly didn't know anything about the Grandfather of our present President and thought this interesting.

Very sad if its true.

I couldn't feel good about having money made by an association of this kind.

* The Third Reich and the Bush family (Prescott Bush - a fundraiser for the Nazi Party).

There are alot of links with information about this. I just googled "George Bush" and "Nazi Germany".
Oh, I think you're being disingenuous. If you're bringing it up, then you're visiting the sins of the grandfathers on that of the grandsons.

I'm no fan of the Bushes, but turnabout is fair play. Let's turn our attention to another political clan: The Kennedys. Joseph Kennedy was an ardent fan of the Nazis and Hitler. As ambassador to the Court of St. James, he did his level best to sabotage cooperation between the United States and Britain and was removed from his post when he flatly declared that "Democracy is finished." What's more, Joe Kennedy viewed Hitler as the solution to the problem of world jewry. While he probably didn't countenance shoving Jews into gas ovens, he gave Hitler credibility.

Add his smuggling of booze during prohibition and his alliance with Joseph McCarthy, and you really have a scion of a political family who didn't just have questionable holdings, but actively supported and abetted some really awfully terrible people.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Be careful with those sites, it will hard to get a non-biased opinion for obvious reasons.

I see it doesn't mention that George Bush Sr was a fighter pilot in the Pacific theather of WW2, flew over 50 missions in a squadron that had a 50% casualty rate, was shot down, earned the distinguished flying cross and 3 other air medals.
AND I'm sure the President himself would NEVER try to influence the media in any way to stop a story being published.

As far as his Father war time service, that doesn't do much for me at all. His son George W didn't do anything AND no matter how much war time service a person has, if you made money off a relationship with Nazi Germany then nothing you do makes you redeemable in my opinion.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
AND I'm sure the President himself would NEVER try to influence the media in any way to stop a story being published.

As far as his Father war time service, that doesn't do much for me at all. His son George W didn't do anything AND no matter how much war time service a person has, if you made money off a relationship with Nazi Germany then nothing you do makes you redeemable in my opinion.
Well, heck, you might as well say the same about the Ford Motor Company, which made under the table deals with the Nazis to keep their assets from being completely nationalized.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
As far as his Father war time service, that doesn't do much for me at all. His son George W didn't do anything AND no matter how much war time service a person has, if you made money off a relationship with Nazi Germany then nothing you do makes you redeemable in my opinion
Oh wait just a minute now. Be very careful and get out your history books.

Hitler was in power from 1933 to 1945.

WWII did not begin until 9/1/1939, so that was 6 years where EVERYBODY was maintaining diplomatic relations and trading with Germany, as much trade as nations did considering the trade restrictions of the time and the Great Depression.

The UK, Canada, and France went to war with Germany as of 9/1/39, so they get the 6 years credited. The USSR went to war with Germany of 6/22/41 and the US went to war with Germany as of 12/8/41, so we both get an additional two years of credit. Even so, considering the Smoot-Hawley bill and other protectionist measures, trade between the US and Nazi Germany was not exactly significant.

Then there are countries like Sweden, Spain, Switzerland, and Portugal who never broke relations with Nazi Germany and traded with them throughout the war. Where is your condemnation for those nations?

Or how about nations like Vichy France, Finland, Croatia, Romania, Italy and Japan who were allied with Hitler?

You are somewhat correct about Joseph Kennedy. Add Charles Lindbergh and the ex King of England to those who thought Fascism the wave of the future. Did their interest make a difference? Hardly.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, I think you're being disingenuous. If you're bringing it up, then you're visiting the sins of the grandfathers on that of the grandsons.

I'm no fan of the Bushes, but turnabout is fair play. Let's turn our attention to another political clan: The Kennedys. Joseph Kennedy was an ardent fan of the Nazis and Hitler. As ambassador to the Court of St. James, he did his level best to sabotage cooperation between the United States and Britain and was removed from his post when he flatly declared that "Democracy is finished." What's more, Joe Kennedy viewed Hitler as the solution to the problem of world jewry. While he probably didn't countenance shoving Jews into gas ovens, he gave Hitler credibility.

Add his smuggling of booze during prohibition and his alliance with Joseph McCarthy, and you really have a scion of a political family who didn't just have questionable holdings, but actively supported and abetted some really awfully terrible people.
OH, I totally agree with you there, I don't care for the Kennedys either.
The only reason I think of this as it applies to George W is if this is indeed true, his current fame and position can be traced back to that. Knowing what went on in Nazi Germany and all the countries with the concentration camps, could you live off of money that came from an association with Hitler? I couldn't. I just couldn't.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Let's see.......... I've heard that hurricane Katrina formed due to President Bush, I've heard that the oil prices are all due to President Bush, I've heard that rise in cancer rates are completely the Bush's fault... and now Nazi Germany is all the Bush's fault?

Have you ever considered mental therapy? Just when I think I've heard it all, something like this comes along. There is no end to the pure hatred spawned by some people. No end at all. In fact, I'd go so far to say that it's people like this that are the reason the country is screwed up right now.

So please, turn the light off when you leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History