Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 03:25 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times

Advertisements

You know I started that out as a joke but the more you guys pushed I thought hey I know alot of vets from the American Legion and put that question to them.I believe veterans more than pimple faced dumbdowned fools like you...have any of you served.?
O.K. riddle me this why after 9 weeks of basic that my son grew taller than me had more muscle mass if some kind of additive wasn't involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 03:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. All those servicemen returning from the war. Also, a surge in confidence about the economy and life in general, after the war was won, or stopped, at least. I don't think anyone really "won", in view of the horrific losses. But even couples who were married before or during the war and weren't involved in military service waited until after the war to start having kids. Not all of course, but many.
My parents were married before the war. But he was transfered several times, everyone pulling up stakes and his last prewar post in Panama. When the drums started beating around the world, mom went back to stay with her family. Ironically, she went home on a Japanese crusing ship. But Dad and she didn't want children who had to uproot every few years, or not be with the whole family for periods of time. My mom's dad met another woman when just before her teens. She got to see him not come home and her mom's anger, and then when he quit helping with bills and her mom and the kids lost almost everything but the house. I think Mom's vision of marriage wasn't he same as many. But when Dad came home, and they had security of him having a job, then they were ready to be parents.

My aunt and uncle were married, my uncle doing 'necessary' home side work as he'd had 'allergies' when he saw the draft folks. My cousins are a couple of years older and one just a year younger. But despite the war, they had security and a home.

I think for the families, which were frequent, which had dad or an older brother who might have married in uniform and in uncertain terms, to have children in such a terrifyingly uncertain world did not feel right. Did men not want to leave their wives pregnant and with babies when they might not have had a lot of support?

The end of the fourties and this horrible war, with the way it rewrote the boundries and the balance of power, and the way it reached into society worldwide and changed it is a divide between the fading old world before and the brave new one ahead, and its those times just inbetween which can be the most dangerious of all. It can be said that us baby boomers were a generation who were literally born into a brand new world with many options on how it turned. I have to think that the fact that there were so many families with so many young kids who were born with the hope of a good place was one of the modifying influences which might have kept the cold war from catching flame.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:55 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Just talked to a bunch of ex-marines from the Marine Corp league at the locale bar they said yes they put saltpeter in their food during basic training
Uh huh.

Was this before or after you got duped into mistaking a satirical article from 2013 - an article that had paintings from the Revolutionary War showing troops with massive erections and General Washington looking appalled at this development - as fact?

Did you serve in the military? There are a lot of great men and women in the ranks. I met some of the finest people I've ever know there. But the ranks also have more than their share of complete idiots. In AIT, I once pulled guard duty with a guy who was absolutely convinced that the bunker where we spent a long and chilly night on sentry duty was 'where they kept the nuclear weapons'. 1) It wasn't, and 2) The Army doesn't use recruits in training to guard the nukes, and 3) I'm pretty sure that there would bo no logical reason for the Army to store nukes at a base used for BT and housing the Army's Chemical School, Military Police School. But he was convinced. I know it's politically incorrect not to idolize veterans and accept their word as solemn truth, but I don't play those games.

Here's an actual source on the validity of the notion.
Quote:
Saltpeter (potassium nitrate), which is the main ingredient in gunpowder and fireworks, is thought to decrease sex drive, but there is no scientific evidence for this.
Human Reproductive Biology, Jones & Lopez
https://books.google.com/books?id=pf...page&q&f=false

A college biology textbook, or 'a bunch of ex-marines'?

Quote:
... how is it Hollywood is so wrong and fictonal but when it comes to the DNC they are so right?
I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about, except that apparently there's some current film that you're sure is spot on, therefore you think it stands to reason that a film made by completely different people a third of a century ago couldn't possibly be wrong. Do you really want to go with that?

And what's up with the DNC? I assume that stands for Democratic National Committee or Convention. Because, of course someone with your userID finds it almost impossible to engage in a discussion without somehow politicizing it. Well, here's some food for thought. You know what I call "dumbed down"? Someone who gets his history about Admiral Yamamoto and military dining policy, as well as the medicinal efficacy or lack thereof of potassium nitrate, from movies. That's pretty darn dumbed down.

Quote:
By the way Lee Marvin was a Recon Marine in the Pacific I really don't think he would say something that really wasn't true or accurate film or no film...
And... why? Because you think that every recon Marine is going to be a stickler for details in a made-up story decades later when he's an actor? Or because an infantry Marine is somehow going to have any flippin' idea at all what they're doing in the mess hall? That makes sense to you? Marvin apparently didn't have a problem with Israeli-modified Shermans standing in for German Tigers. Or playing a sergeant at the age of 54, which was really too old, even in light of the manpower necessities of World War II. And yet you imagine that he's going to throw down his script and refuse to speak the lines over a comment about saltpeter?

To sum up, you're wrong. That's what you get from educating yourself from television and from mistaking Onion-esque articles for reality. You should either admit it, or just quietly slink away and stop embarrassing yourself. But YMMV.

Quote:
O.K. riddle me this why after 9 weeks of basic that my son grew taller than me had more muscle mass if some kind of additive wasn't involved?
Now you think potassium nitrate builds muscles?

First, your son didn't grow notably taller. No one does in nine weeks. No, potassium nitrate doesn't cause massively-accelerated bone growth. Second, why did he gain muscle mass? Gee. Why could that be? I'm sure it had nothing to do with PT at 4:30 every morning and ten thousand or so push-ups. Naah... it must've been an anaphrodisiac! Because you think that suppressing sexual desire makes big muscles?

Keep them coming. This is amusing.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:27 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quote:
Hey if you think they are lying come to Portsmouth Ohio and tell them that to their faces...
I've done it before. Had 2 .50s pointed at them, but that's neither here nor there. Point is, they didn't know what they were talking about, or they were pulling your leg, or they were just being idiots.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:17 AM

It has been used to preserve food since the Middle Ages ...ever here of salted meat? Corn beef ?
In West African culture it is used today in stews,soups,porridges Kunun Kanwa
Also used in toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
So don't tell me that it isn't used in food it still is even used today ...

Old 07-29-2016, 05:41 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
The baby boom was astronomical in its size and duration. It produced 80 million babies within a 20 year time. The birth rate and raw number of births doubled between the mid 1930s and the late 1950s. 1957 produced more births than any other year in American history and we had almost half the population.

Another interesting thing was after WWII ended, the general trend was for Americans to get married and start families at younger ages than they had in the past. The percentage of Americans who remained childless and unmarried dropped to record lows. The teenage marriage and birth rate skyrocketed. The teen birth rate peaked at 96.3 in 1957, meaning that nearly one out of every ten teenage girl then was pregnant. 50% of all women were married by 20. Men married around 22 verses 26 in 1890. One out of every four women in their early 20s in 1960 had given birth, a higher rate than any other time in history. Furthermore, there was also a general trend towards larger families in the post war era. More and more families were having four, five, and even six children and fewer having just one or two.

Then as we entered the 1960s, and the Baby Boomers came of age, the birth rate dropped just as fast as they rose. By the 1970s the patterns seen before the 1950s of smaller families and later parenthood and marriage came rushing back but stronger than ever. The trend continues unabated to this day. The Baby boomers have had a massive effect on American society and will continue to do so for many decades.

Was the baby boom of the post war years a reaction to the depression and WWII? A catching up? Did the hardships and changing world cause Americans to crave family and home more so than in the past?

Do you think another baby boom could happen again? I don't think it could, just because of birth control and we live in a different world. Hypothetically speaking, if we had a repeat of the last baby boom, then there would be close to 10 million births within 20 years.
In economic terms we call it pent up demand.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I've done it before. Had 2 .50s pointed at them, but that's neither here nor there. Point is, they didn't know what they were talking about, or they were pulling your leg, or they were just being idiots.
Right you really told a bunch of Marines they are liars and are still walking ... doubtful at best.
My neighbor was a combat marine said saltpeter was in the food maybe as what I said earlier to keep food from spoiling.
I said before I was making light about horny veterans returning home you people turned this into a political hate fest.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Uh huh.

Was this before or after you got duped into mistaking a satirical article from 2013 - an article that had paintings from the Revolutionary War showing troops with massive erections and General Washington looking appalled at this development - as fact?

Did you serve in the military? There are a lot of great men and women in the ranks. I met some of the finest people I've ever know there. But the ranks also have more than their share of complete idiots. In AIT, I once pulled guard duty with a guy who was absolutely convinced that the bunker where we spent a long and chilly night on sentry duty was 'where they kept the nuclear weapons'. 1) It wasn't, and 2) The Army doesn't use recruits in training to guard the nukes, and 3) I'm pretty sure that there would bo no logical reason for the Army to store nukes at a base used for BT and housing the Army's Chemical School, Military Police School. But he was convinced. I know it's politically incorrect not to idolize veterans and accept their word as solemn truth, but I don't play those games.

Here's an actual source on the validity of the notion.

Human Reproductive Biology, Jones & Lopez
https://books.google.com/books?id=pf...page&q&f=false

A college biology textbook, or 'a bunch of ex-marines'?

I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about, except that apparently there's some current film that you're sure is spot on, therefore you think it stands to reason that a film made by completely different people a third of a century ago couldn't possibly be wrong. Do you really want to go with that?

And what's up with the DNC? I assume that stands for Democratic National Committee or Convention. Because, of course someone with your userID finds it almost impossible to engage in a discussion without somehow politicizing it. Well, here's some food for thought. You know what I call "dumbed down"? Someone who gets his history about Admiral Yamamoto and military dining policy, as well as the medicinal efficacy or lack thereof of potassium nitrate, from movies. That's pretty darn dumbed down.

And... why? Because you think that every recon Marine is going to be a stickler for details in a made-up story decades later when he's an actor? Or because an infantry Marine is somehow going to have any flippin' idea at all what they're doing in the mess hall? That makes sense to you? Marvin apparently didn't have a problem with Israeli-modified Shermans standing in for German Tigers. Or playing a sergeant at the age of 54, which was really too old, even in light of the manpower necessities of World War II. And yet you imagine that he's going to throw down his script and refuse to speak the lines over a comment about saltpeter?

To sum up, you're wrong. That's what you get from educating yourself from television and from mistaking Onion-esque articles for reality. You should either admit it, or just quietly slink away and stop embarrassing yourself. But YMMV.

Now you think potassium nitrate builds muscles?

First, your son didn't grow notably taller. No one does in nine weeks. No, potassium nitrate doesn't cause massively-accelerated bone growth. Second, why did he gain muscle mass? Gee. Why could that be? I'm sure it had nothing to do with PT at 4:30 every morning and ten thousand or so push-ups. Naah... it must've been an anaphrodisiac! Because you think that suppressing sexual desire makes big muscles?

Keep them coming. This is amusing.
You must of missed the part about salted meats meat preservatives part?
I played sports all my life advance P.E. lifted weights worked on the Railroad my friend who was a nerd played in the school band went into the Navy weighed maybe 120 lbs soaking wet 5 foot nothing after basic he came home taller than me,heavier with muscles and you say it was just P.E. get real.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:46 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quote:
You must of missed the part about salted meats meat preservatives part?
I played sports all my life advance P.E. lifted weights worked on the Railroad my friend who was a nerd played in the school band went into the Navy weighed maybe 120 lbs soaking wet 5 foot nothing after basic he came home taller than me,heavier with muscles and you say it was just P.E. get real.
Let's ignore the science and go with urban legends, shall we?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:17 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
Let's see~~~~
The return of millions of men to what turned out to be more or less one of the most prosperous times in the US????
I guess you had to be there. I was, born in 1946.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History