Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Woodward and Bernstein remind me of the uncle in Napoleon Dynamite.
Explain, please, for those of us not familiar with the movie.

I will note that in the years immediately following Watergate a lot WAS written about the motive being Nixon's hatred of the Kennedys. And because of the target of the break-in: DNC headquarters. The head of the Democratic party was Larry O'Brien a close friend of JFK's. There was a school of thought that O'Brien's office had papers and information Nixon wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,555,949 times
Quote:
Woodward and Bernstein remind me of the uncle in Napoleon Dynamite.
Such is being stuck in the hairdo of your times.

Reagan had '50s do. Kept going into the '80s.

Big Hair in Texas gets locked decades behind, as well. Just makes me smile when I see it.

Just be glad you did not once have a Mullet you feel obliged to keep wearing -- or maybe worse -- once a member of a Hair Band.

<shudders>

Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,555,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Every president is a crook who lies, cheats and steals. A few get caught. Fewer yet get held to account for it.
Whose ghost compelled Reagan to lie about Iran/Contra? Whose ghost forced Bush to lie about WMD? Turn on your TV, You'll hear a presidential candidate lie within the next 30 minutes. Who is compelling them to lie?
Ever read People of the Lie? Interesting study of this condition.

Quote:

You, the gullible voter, by rewarding with your vote the one who lies most convincingly.

From what I see, it is the non-voting, but higher ranking "citizen" -- corporations -- they are the funders.

Corporations are people, too, now -- at least that is what I have heard from one of the Corporate Candidates.

At this point many of the Real People have stopped voting for either of the lying Corporate market-share "choices."

Quote:
By the way, whose post were you responding to?
texdav's - balbiliying abuot Kenendy bieng teh cuase fo Nioxn's baad beahavor.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:42 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,292,443 times
It proves we learned no lessons and do far worse forty years later. There is little honor in our Congress in any corner. Everyone own a piece of America except We The People.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:02 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,182,764 times
The Left clings to Watergate and Nixon like the old Communists in Russia cling to Stalin. It is amazing. Nixon got us out of the mess JFK and LBJ created in the Vietnam War, created the OSHA, EPA, saved Israel from defeat in the 73 war and opened the door to China. The Left hated Nixon since the 1950's when he went after the Communists in this country like Alger Hess. A sidenote, Berstein's dad was blacklisted and I think he had a grudge against Nixon for years because of it.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,540,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The Left clings to Watergate and Nixon like the old Communists in Russia cling to Stalin. It is amazing. Nixon got us out of the mess JFK and LBJ created in the Vietnam War, created the OSHA, EPA, saved Israel from defeat in the 73 war and opened the door to China. The Left hated Nixon since the 1950's when he went after the Communists in this country like Alger Hess. A sidenote, Berstein's dad was blacklisted and I think he had a grudge against Nixon for years because of it.
Yeah, what's a little breaking-and-entering into the offices of your political opponents... No big deal right

And Nixon did get the USA out out of Vietnam--after he bombed the hell out of Cambodia and extended the war--which actually ended up creating the domino effect in Southeast Asia with the Khmer Rouge taking power that the Vietnam War was originally supposed to prevent.

Oh, and your analogy makes no sense: "The Left clings to Watergate and Nixon like the old Communists in Russia cling to Stalin."

Last edited by Deezus; 06-20-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,590,259 times
Politics in the USA is dirty, lowdown, lying, cheating, stealing, murdering and anything else you can think of that is bad, dishournable and self serving.

That's what is just so stupid about these clowns who claim to be Christians running for office. I don't think it's even a possibility that any Christian could win any election in the USA and be true to to his or her convictions.

I have a huge admiration for the American people. What they have been able to accomplish dispite the horrendously bad governance they get. The system has always been bad and it's getting worse by the year. It's begining to decend into the realm of near total disfunction. This presents a very real danger both to the USA and the rest of the world.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Explain, please, for those of us not familiar with the movie.

I will note that in the years immediately following Watergate a lot WAS written about the motive being Nixon's hatred of the Kennedys. And because of the target of the break-in: DNC headquarters. The head of the Democratic party was Larry O'Brien a close friend of JFK's. There was a school of thought that O'Brien's office had papers and information Nixon wanted.
The uncle keeps reliving the "big game"from when he was in high school.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Quote:
The uncle keeps reliving the "big game"from when he was in high school.

Explain please?

This makes it sound like you think Woodward and Bernstein are just two old guys reliving their glory days.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-22-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 04:34 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,182,764 times
Obama makes Nixon look like a Saint. JFK was way more corrupt than Nixon too and let us not forget about LBJ. It is amazing how the media still hates Nixon after all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History