Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 PM

689 posts, read 2,058,524 times

Advertisements

I'm a volunteer in the Collections Department at the Naval Undersea Museum in Keyport, Washington. We recently received a donation that includes photos taken aboard Japanese submarine I-401 when it was captured by an American crew in August, 1945. Also with the donation is a small reddish wooden box with leather handle. Inside are three 3X3" heavy paper/light cardboard pieces with color drawings of geishas - head and shoulders only.

They were sent by the son of the man who found them on the submarine. He has no info about what they are. We've guessed they might be something like pinup pictures or a version of trading cards but honestly, we have no clue!!

City-Data folks seem to know something about everything, so I hope you can help me find out what these are. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
I'm a volunteer in the Collections Department at the Naval Undersea Museum in Keyport, Washington. We recently received a donation that includes photos taken aboard Japanese submarine I-401 when it was captured by an American crew in August, 1945. Also with the donation is a small reddish wooden box with leather handle. Inside are three 3X3" heavy paper/light cardboard pieces with color drawings of geishas - head and shoulders only.

They were sent by the son of the man who found them on the submarine. He has no info about what they are. We've guessed they might be something like pinup pictures or a version of trading cards but honestly, we have no clue!!

City-Data folks seem to know something about everything, so I hope you can help me find out what these are. Thanks!

So post the pictures............

Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,106 times
Speaking of *** submarines, how did they compare to the typical Gato class?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
IJN coastal RO class were very primitive compared to the Gatos.(The USN DE England sank five of them within a few days interval) IJN fleet I-boats would be comparable to early Gatos in terms of performance but they did not age well as USN ASW improved. Too noisy compared to later USN fleet boats-improved Gatas as in the Balao class. I-boats could not dive as deep or quickly and fire control appears to have been pencil/slide rule as in early war boats. Silhouettes were too high even after the seaplane hanger was removed. Designed for a different type of war and not able to be adapted as other vessels were able to.

Still they torpedoed the Saratoga at least twice, sank the Yorktown, Wasp, Hornet, Liscombe Bay, Indianapolis. Sank more merchantmen than all of the Italian Navy submarines.

I-400 all the negatives of the I-boats but worse due to their size.

IJN did produce the Ha(? going from memory) boat which would be comparable the German coastal electro-boats. Extensive battery for speed or endurance underwater.

All this and more in Submarines of WW2 by Erminio Bagnasco. Great book which covers all the navies of WW2 and a bit of WW1 and interwar. http://www.amazon.com/Submarines-Wor...1562894&sr=8-2

To the OP, I recommend posting at the two most knowledgable sites regarding WW2 naval vessels:

www.steelnavy.com no registering is required as it is an open board.

Or
www.combinedfleet.com whose message board is here: http://propnturret.com/tully/

I believe you have to register for the latter.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-12-2012 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 AM

689 posts, read 2,058,524 times
Here's what I found out about the cards.

They cards were done by Nakahara Junichi .
A short bio:
He lived from 1913-1983. His father died early and he was raised by his mother and two older sisters. He loved making western dolls (French dolls) (thus, big eyes, instead of traditional oriental eyes). In 1928, he entered Japanese Art College and studied Western Art. In 1932 at the age of 19, he held a French-style doll show, which made him famous. He drew/painted cover pictures for SHOJO NO TOMO (Young Girls magazines), post cards, playing cards, posters, greeting cards, etc.

When WWII broke out, his arts (with big western eyes) were considered anti-patriotic and disappered from the stores. But sailor's family members put "Nakahara girl" in his IMON BUKURO (care bag) and sent him off to the war. After the war, in 1946, magagine SOLEIYU ( sunflower) featured Nakahara's arts> and became the biggest seller, giving the war-torn nation a hope. Some of work is show here:

junichi nakahara | Tumblr

Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Interesting find... so they were basically more subtle Japanese style pinup girls?

I really wish the Navy didn't sink I-400 and I-401 after the war... they would have made incredible museum-ships today.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 PM

423 posts, read 629,215 times
Wow, those are really ahead of their time.

How about contacting a university's Asian Studies department or one of the country's larger art museums, because those would be an interesting addition and something worth sharing, especially when we consider how popular manga has been over the past couple decades. Would give people another way of seeing Japan of the 1930s and 40s, too, especially given the contrast between the wartime sub and the big-eyed drawings that became symbolic of a resurrected Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History