Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,711,352 times

Advertisements

Just in time for the July 4th weekend, the Marist Poll has asked Americans in which year the United States declared its independence. And, the result is many Americans need to brush up on their American history.

Only 58% of residents know that the United States declared its independence in 1776. 26% are unsure, and 16% mentioned another date.

7/1: Independence Day — Seventeen Seventy When? | Home of the Marist Poll: Pebbles and Pundits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 03:37 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,254,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Just in time for the July 4th weekend, the Marist Poll has asked Americans in which year the United States declared its independence. And, the result is many Americans need to brush up on their American history.

Only 58% of residents know that the United States declared its independence in 1776. 26% are unsure, and 16% mentioned another date.

7/1: Independence Day — Seventeen Seventy When? | Home of the Marist Poll: Pebbles and Pundits
"There are age differences on this question. Younger Americans are the least likely to know the correct answer. Only 31% of adults younger than 30 say that 1776 is the year in which the United States broke away from Great Britain."

The above aspect of the poll results just further influences me to believe that by 1980 America had become USA II, a nation only tenuously attached to the original United States, and rapidly being re-peopled by a race of mental midgets staring fixedly at a small screen, and whose only vital life sign is their ability to punch the keypads of an array of electronic gadgets.

Deliver us, oh Lord, from anyone born after 1970.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,220,443 times
Most people who can remember 1976, can nail it. We need to start having big sis-boom-bah centennials every quarter of a century, to refresh people's history. I can't believe that was a half a lifetime ago.

If you ask most older Americans to pick from a list of memorable events that they recall from 1976, most are likely to say the perfect ten on the parallel bars by a cute 14 year old girl from Romania.

I suppose, though, it is unfair for older people, who can remember historical events, to pass judgment on younger people for failing to learn them through pure academic scholarship.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-09-2011 at 09:39 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
....I suppose, though, it is unfair for older people, who can remember historical events, to pass judgment on younger people for failing to learn them through pure academic scholarship.
But I don't think that is the case. After all, most towns and cities have Independence Day celebrations year after year. These are widely reported on television. So, it appears to me that there are plenty of opportunities to at least learn the year outside of the academic environment.

My feeling is if you are thirty or under, and it ain't entertainment you ain't interested.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,684,226 times
A couple of years ago, one of the local news stations here in New York City set up a map of the United States at Rockefeller Center (where you might find people from practically anywhere in the country, let alone the world, walking around). They asked passersby to indicate their home states. One man declared himself a proud resident of Illinois...then proceeded to jab his finger confidently at Minnesota.

Could anyone possibly be surprised that Americans aren't up to speed on the history of Independence Day?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
But I don't think that is the case. After all, most towns and cities have Independence Day celebrations year after year. These are widely reported on television. So, it appears to me that there are plenty of opportunities to at least learn the year outside of the academic environment.

That's like expecting people to know a great deal about the life and times of St. Valentine, or the evolution of the labor movement, or the natural history of the groundhog, because, after all, we have celebrations of those days every year.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
That's like expecting people to know a great deal about the life and times of St. Valentine, or the evolution of the labor movement, or the natural history of the groundhog, because, after all, we have celebrations of those days every year.
I disagree. Celebrating the founding of the nation is not like Groundhog Day or Valentine's Day by any stretch.

I think my point was well taken, one is taught history in school and year after year Independence day celebrations are held. Millions of us call ourselves Americans as a result of the actions associated with Independence Day.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,055,366 times
Isn't that one of the questions on the citizenship test? What's the point of having the test if citizens aren't even required to know this information?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I disagree. Celebrating the founding of the nation is not like Groundhog Day or Valentine's Day by any stretch.

You may not want it to be, but it is a fact. The observance of the holidays are similarly distanced from the concept of the day's origin.

Do you really think that American adults hear anything at all on July 4, either through the media, or word of mouth, that enhances their historical knowledge of the circumstances under which the nation was formed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Isn't that one of the questions on the citizenship test? What's the point of having the test if citizens aren't even required to know this information?
How many lawyers could pass the bar exam tomorrow morning? Could you pass the drivers license exam right now?

If citizens were "required" to know this information, what would be the penalty for not knowing? Denial of citizenship rights? How much do YOU know about the Constitution?

Old 07-16-2011, 12:35 PM

608 posts, read 1,349,529 times
Quote:
You may not want it to be, but it is a fact. The observance of the holidays are similarly distanced from the concept of the day's origin.

Do you really think that American adults hear anything at all on July 4, either through the media, or word of mouth, that enhances their historical knowledge of the circumstances under which the nation was formed?

How many lawyers could pass the bar exam tomorrow morning? Could you pass the drivers license exam right now?

If citizens were "required" to know this information, what would be the penalty for not knowing? Denial of citizenship rights? How much do YOU know about the Constitution?
I could pass the bar and I am not a lawyer. I could pass my state driver exam, and since I teach it I know a LOT about our constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History