Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Perhaps the most commonly used African word in the English language (and probably the word used in more countries than any other) is "okay," or "O.K," which became popular in the 1830s in America. Clues to its African roots were found in the 19th century black-spoken English of Jamaica and Surinam, as well as the Gullah speech of South Carolina, all of which have numerous forms of the word. Two prime examples from Mande and Wolof cultural groups for the use of similar words are o ke, "that's it" or "all right," in Mande language, and waw kay, which means "all correct," in Wolof culture. The use of the expression "O.K." is first recorded in the speech of black Americans around 1776, but it was probably used much earlier in the 1700s.

Slavery in America

Quote:
1. Tote — English, and especially Southern English, includes this very useful verb, which includes the hybrid expression “totebag.” The word seems to have come from West Africa, including the Gullah language, which still exists in the islands off the South Carolina coast.

2. Gumbo — An African word for okra, which also comes from the Igbo word nkruman. The plant itself is also from Africa. A version of the word, quingombó, exists in Caribbean Spanish.

8. Jive — from the Wolof word jev.

9. Banana — from the Wolof language.

English words have African roots (http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=bccbfd7340717bed - broken link)
I found this interesting. I guess with so many west Africans being brought to the Americas they were bound to have some degree of influence on the english and other languages spoken in their particular countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:38 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
I have heard a million other explanations for "OK". Not saying yours is false. Just Saying.

I believe Jazz and Banjo are words with African roots.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:49 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
From the Oxford dictionaries:

Quote:
The only other theory with at least a degree of plausibility is that the term originated among Black slaves of West African origin, and represents a word meaning 'all right, yes indeed' in various West African languages. Unfortunately, historical evidence enabling the origin of this expression to be finally and firmly established may be hard to unearth.

What is the origin of the word 'OK'? : Oxford Dictionaries Online

Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I would say that Oxford's take on the subject amounts to Occam's Razor. I would go with it until evidence came along contradicting it.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Man, I don't know any.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
According to the link below, most are food words for foods originating in Africa (okra, goober, jambalaya, etc.) as well as some music words (jazz, banjo, bongo, etc.).

List of English words of African origin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:

Origin: initials of a facetious folk phonetic spelling, e.g., oll or orl korrect representing all correct, first attested in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1839, then used in 1840 by Democrat partisans of Martin Van Buren during his election campaign, who allegedly named their organization, the O.K. Club, in allusion to the initials of Old Kinderhook, Van Buren's nickname, derived from his birthplace Kinderhook, New York

----------------------------

Word Origin & History

OK

1839, only survivor of a slang fad in Boston and New York c.1838-9 for abbreviations of common phrases with deliberate, jocular misspellings (cf. K.G. for "no go," as if spelled "know go"); in this case, "oll korrect." Further popularized by use as an election slogan by the O.K. Club, New York boosters of Democratic president Martin Van Buren's 1840 re-election bid, in allusion to his nickname Old Kinderhook, from his birth in the N.Y. village of Kinderhook. Van Buren lost, the word stuck, in part because it filled a need for a quick way to write an approval on a document, bill, etc. The noun is first attested 1841; the verb 1888. Spelled out as okeh, 1919, by Woodrow Wilson, on assumption that it represented Choctaw okeh "it is so" (a theory which lacks historical documentation);

Ok | Define Ok at Dictionary.com
It's not that hard folks.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,198 times
This Isn't English but i noticed growing up a lot of the African foods my dad cooked had American Cajun names...

Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I did an entire paper, for a college linguistics class, on "tote". Also studied the Gullah language.

If you're interested in this sort of thing read "The Water is Wide" by Pat Conroy. (Also an excellent movie with Jon Voight.) The book is about the descendents of the Gullah speaking slaves who live in South Carolina. (Or did until taxed out of their homes. The area is a major resort now. Hilton Head Island.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History