Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times

Advertisements

I was reading a bit over the weekend about how Great Britain was sending numerous convicts over here to the Colonies starting back in the early 1600's as this didn't cease until the Revolutionary War.

So does anyone know where these prison camps were? Were they the Indentured Servants? Were they working the tobacco and indigo fields in Virginia and the Carolina's before the advent of African slaves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
They weren't necessarily in camps. In fact, I don't know there ever were any at all. (I'm sure someone who knows more will correct me.)

They were assigned to designated individual masters or overlords for their personal use, but I'm unclear as to how that assignment was made. I assume it was because of family, business or government influence.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
This is my understanding remembering my history: that under "Transport" or more formally, penal transportation, the convicts were assigned for a specific number of years to an individual, afterwhich they were freed and able to either remain in the colonies or return at their expense to Britian. The cost to come to America was a cost paid by the prisioner, the person he or she was assigned to, or the shipowner.

An aside to this is that at first, Va. and Md. had no death certificates. On a rare occassion someone restoring an ancient farrmhouse today may find human bones dumped by the house or in the basement with ancient trash - someone transported, an indentured servant or slave. The owners tended to just throw the body away with no record. Death certificates changed this.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Legend has it that convicts were sent to Georgia. The ones who could not behave themselves moved to Florida.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
They were indentured servants as described in newhandle's post. The greatest legend in this regard is the State of Georgia. The colony of Georgia was founded as a solution to overcrowding of British debtors prisons. Of course, emigration to the colony was completely voluntary. The planters and land owners agreed to take the persons on and after a period of time they were freed. The eventual end to this system in Georgia was the spread of slavery to replace what was essentially indentured servitude. Slavery was outlawed in Georgia until the 1750's. At that time the success of the South Carolina planters and the high death rate among European indentured servants in Georgias climate led to the adaptation of slavery. In a few short years, slavery had completely replaced indentured servitude on the South Carolina model.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
NJGOAT, thanks for the informative posting and to the others also

Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Legend has it that convicts were sent to Georgia. The ones who could not behave themselves moved to Florida.
Interesting. I can clearly remember being taught in school that Georgia was colonized with numbers of convicted persons.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Interesting. I can clearly remember being taught in school that Georgia was colonized with numbers of convicted persons.
I was taught that, too. And after the Revolution, when they couldn't ship their convicts to Georgia, well what do you know--Australia was pretty handy!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
According to this article that appears to have been published in 1896, as many as 50,000 prisoners were transported to the colonies during the period in question. It would also appear that they were sent to all of the colonies not just Georgia.

Butler, British Convicts Shipped to American Colonies

Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Indentenured servents and convict labor was going on until the revolution. When the British could not send their excess population here, the convict colony of Australia was founded instead as a new location. The system was established with the expectation of sending away minor criminals and there was no other provision for them.

One of my favorite questions is what event in American history had the greatest effect on the history of Australia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History