Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:54 AM

515 posts, read 1,557,786 times

Advertisements

I believe very strongly in "follow your gut." I also think that everyone gets these little "premonitions," or whatever you want to call them, from time to time.

I have a hysterectomy scheduled on Monday morning (8/3), and something just doesn't feel right about it. I can't put my finger on it, but I think something is going to go wrong. My teenage daughter actually feels impending doom about the whole thing. DH has felt for months, long before I scheduled my surgery, that something terrible was going to happen in August. Due to my school schedule, this is really the only time before about Christmas that I'll be able to have it done. I've waited 7 years. I've just never had this feeling before. It is really unnerving.

If you were in my place, what would you do?

~D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
If everyone has that feeling, DON'T do it!!

My brother was scheduled for surgery and I had that bad feeling about it, the feeling of doom and I told my sister. I just couldn't go to the hospital the day of the surgery, that feeling was TO strong. I didn't want to go there and have anyone see me so upset... He died during that surgery.

FOLLOW your gut feeling!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
It's not worth the bad worry even if nothing goes wrong. Maybe it's not you that will have problems, suppose something happens to one of your family members and you spend the rest of your life thinking _if only I had been there!"

It's also prossilbe that all this is b/c your family is not used to operations and just worried about it w/o being able to articulate what's bothering them.

Bottom line: it's your body, do what you think is best.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Follow your gut feeling and delay the surgery. Speak to your doctor about this and see if there is another option for you.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:00 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
I believe very strongly in "follow your gut." I also think that everyone gets these little "premonitions," or whatever you want to call them, from time to time.

I have a hysterectomy scheduled on Monday morning (8/3), and something just doesn't feel right about it. I can't put my finger on it, but I think something is going to go wrong. My teenage daughter actually feels impending doom about the whole thing. DH has felt for months, long before I scheduled my surgery, that something terrible was going to happen in August. Due to my school schedule, this is really the only time before about Christmas that I'll be able to have it done. I've waited 7 years. I've just never had this feeling before. It is really unnerving.

If you were in my place, what would you do?

~D
Are you 2nd guessing doing a surgery so invasive to begin with?
I've had abdominal surgery and can tell you that some people have no problems while others have a lot of pain.. I was one that had lots of pain. I don't know if it matters, my left gut was opened to get into my back; when they do C-sections they go towards the right.

If you are 2nd guessing whether this is the exact surgery you need, do get another opinion. I don't know your diagnosis but from what I've read, some hysterectomies aren't necessary.

FWIW, if you reschedule, I would rather see you do it in June to give yourself the whole summer to recover just in case.

But yes, I've 2nd guessed and should have listened to my gut with my 1st back fusion.
I should have done more research and am sorry I did not.
Once you have surgery, you can't reverse it.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Not to be morbid - but maybe the feeling has something to do with what the surgeon will find, rather than the procedure itself. Do speak with your provider!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
reschedule it. Its the same "DOOM" feeling people have reported before boarding a plane. They reschedule their flight and live to tell about it.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:40 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,943 times
I would probably say to reschedule it, too. How serious is the condition that warrants the hysterectomy, and are you and your doctor confident that is what you need? I would talk to your doctor about your feelings.

You may never know why you and your family got that feeling. It may not even be directly related to the procedure, but it is worth trusting. I knew someone that was going in for a colonoscopy and just didn't feel right about it and voiced it to a few people. She went in had it done. After she came home she ended up very sick and died in less than a week. It turns out they punctured her colon. That kind of stuff really scares me, because this is a test that you are supposed to be doing to protect your health, and she lost her life because she had the test....

Old 07-30-2009, 04:58 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
Go with your gut. Cancel it and reschedule in the future.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,437 times
If you have doubts, by all means, don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness