Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 10:34 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,689,486 times

Advertisements

According to U.S. researchers, the medical phenomenon known as the “silent” heart attacks is likely far more prevalent – and dangerous – than experts had previously suspected.

According to current estimates, some 200,000 Americans per year experience these painless heart attacks – known in medical terminology as unrecognized myocardial infarctions – often without even realizing it.

‘Silent’ Heart Attacks Are Very Common - Health News - redOrbit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,033,922 times
Interesting article.

Quote:
Even more disturbing, the group’s follow-up study of these patients showed that after two years, patients who had suffered from a non-Q-wave heart attack were at a 17 times higher risk of dying from heart problems than patients without heart damage.
Very alarming.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:51 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,590,674 times
Yes, very alarming! That explains why a person can go get a physical one day and be deemed in perfect shape and drop dead the next of a heart attack the next day.

I had a son that had been having problems for 2 years, starting at the age of 15. Every test in the book had been run on him, not once but twice and he continued to have problems. Since they could find NOTHING on any of the tests, his doctor told me he was just doing it for attention.. I knew he wasn't! He dropped dead at the age of 17 and a cause of death was never found. I always felt like something in his heart was miss firing and if it wasn't happening, they couldn't see it.. It killed him.

Fast forwarders a few years and I had a great nephew (that was in his teens)start having the same problem. They would take him to the ER and by the time they took him to the back.. it had passed. Until one time he had gotten so weak that he couldn't walk and he told his Mom he was dying and he knew it! They took him to ER and threw a fit and demanded they take him to the back and check him immediately.. They did and found his heart WAS misfiring! It was a simple fix, they just had to go in and kill some nerve and it hasn't bothered him since. Sad to say that today, that nephew is 22 and has a aggressive, fast growing tumor on his brain stem that chemo and radiation hasn't touched.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,187,835 times
OMG! I am so sorry to learn of your loss Laura. Very sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Yes, very alarming! That explains why a person can go get a physical one day and be deemed in perfect shape and drop dead the next of a heart attack the next day.

I had a son that had been having problems for 2 years, starting at the age of 15. Every test in the book had been run on him, not once but twice and he continued to have problems. Since they could find NOTHING on any of the tests, his doctor told me he was just doing it for attention.. I knew he wasn't! He dropped dead at the age of 17 and a cause of death was never found. I always felt like something in his heart was miss firing and if it wasn't happening, they couldn't see it.. It killed him.

Fast forwarders a few years and I had a great nephew (that was in his teens)start having the same problem. They would take him to the ER and by the time they took him to the back.. it had passed. Until one time he had gotten so weak that he couldn't walk and he told his Mom he was dying and he knew it! They took him to ER and threw a fit and demanded they take him to the back and check him immediately.. They did and found his heart WAS misfiring! It was a simple fix, they just had to go in and kill some nerve and it hasn't bothered him since. Sad to say that today, that nephew is 22 and has a aggressive, fast growing tumor on his brain stem that chemo and radiation hasn't touched.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,187,835 times
the article didn't seem very thorough though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
According to U.S. researchers, the medical phenomenon known as the “silent” heart attacks is likely far more prevalent – and dangerous – than experts had previously suspected.

According to current estimates, some 200,000 Americans per year experience these painless heart attacks – known in medical terminology as unrecognized myocardial infarctions – often without even realizing it.

‘Silent’ Heart Attacks Are Very Common - Health News - redOrbit

Old 04-20-2009, 09:32 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,590,674 times
Quote:
OMG! I am so sorry to learn of your loss Laura. Very sorry.
I posted those two stories in the hopes that it may save another teens life. It DOES happen and can happen to anybody! Pay attention when you child is not feeling well and get insistent with the doctors and don't let them brush you off!

That second round of tests they ran on my son, was done to prove to me there was nothing wrong with my son. The coroner contacted that doctor for his records when they could find no cause of death and I am wondering how she felt when she found out she HAD missed something and he had died as a result of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness