Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 11:31 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

FOXNews.com - Boy, 12, Dies From Excessive Deodorant Use - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

A coroner in Britain has determined that a 12-year-old boy died after using too much spray deodorant in a confined space, according to a report from abc.net.au.

Daniel Hurley collapsed in a January after spraying on Lynx deodorant in the bathroom of his Derbyshire home.

An inquest was told last week that a "volatile" agent in the deodorant upset the boy's heart rhythm.

He was hospitalized after the incident and died five days later from a cardiac arrhythmia, also known as abnormal heart rhythms, according to the report.

The boy’s father, Robert Hurley, told the inquest that Daniel was fit and healthy. He also took pride in his appearance, using hair gels and deodorants, which he often sprayed all over his clothes.

The coroner said it was combination of the deodorant and the fact that it was sprayed in a confined space that caused the adverse effect on the boy's heart.

His death followed an incident several weeks earlier when he had collapsed in the bathroom but quickly recovered, according to the report.

Click here to read more on this story from abc.net.au.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,498 times
Read that. Isn't that awful?!?

So sad.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
I stopped using deodorant.

I use that alcohol hand gel. You put it under your arms and the alcohol kills the bacterial. Works like a charm. That's what Julia Roberts uses, too. Me and Julia.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:58 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I stopped using deodorant.

I use that alcohol hand gel. You put it under your arms and the alcohol kills the bacterial. Works like a charm. That's what Julia Roberts uses, too. Me and Julia.
Not a bad idea, but I think I'm addicted to my Secret Clear Gel in Brazilian Cherry too much to change now.

Would this "Lynx Deodorant" be in an aerosol spray can and maybe he also had a preexisting heart condition for this to occur?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post

Would this "Lynx Deodorant" be in an aerosol spray can and maybe he also had a preexisting heart condition for this to occur?
yeah, the first article is a bit misleading, but it links to a mre accurate article. the deodorant itself did not kill the boy, it was the fumes from the aerosol deodorant he was using inside of a closed bathroom. haven't heard anything about a preexisting heart condition though.

I never use aerosol deodorants anyways, but you don't want to be spraying that stuff liberally in a closed room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness