Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 08:55 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

I was put on a low dose of Lisinopril 5mg last year for slightly high blood Pressure. I was told to take the pill in the early evening. I noticed immediately I started getting up all night long, from every hour to every 2 hours to urinate. I had asked the Doctor when I was put on the pill if it would have this type of effect on me. I got a very quick No it won't cause that issue. I called the Doctor's office and was told to make another appt. I had the appt and my Doctor is a young woman recently out of Med school here in Florida. I told her what was happening since I started on the pill, and I asked her again. Is this how the pill works frequent urination after taking it. Her eyes went sidewards and she said No Lisinopril doesn't have that effect on patients. Well obviously it does because this problem started the night I started on this pill. I use to take the pill around 8pm now I've moved it up to 5pm with no water after 8pm, and even doing that is not helping. I hate to say it but sometimes you feel like you have no choice, but to live with the effects medicine has on our bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 09:28 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
Just ask for a new med if it keeps up. They have dozens.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:49 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,383,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I was put on a low dose of Lisinopril 5mg last year for slightly high blood Pressure. I was told to take the pill in the early evening. I noticed immediately I started getting up all night long, from every hour to every 2 hours to urinate. I had asked the Doctor when I was put on the pill if it would have this type of effect on me. I got a very quick No it won't cause that issue. I called the Doctor's office and was told to make another appt. I had the appt and my Doctor is a young woman recently out of Med school here in Florida. I told her what was happening since I started on the pill, and I asked her again. Is this how the pill works frequent urination after taking it. Her eyes went sidewards and she said No Lisinopril doesn't have that effect on patients. Well obviously it does because this problem started the night I started on this pill. I use to take the pill around 8pm now I've moved it up to 5pm with no water after 8pm, and even doing that is not helping. I hate to say it but sometimes you feel like you have no choice, but to live with the effects medicine has on our bodies.
Switch to taking it in the morning,
and a tip if you're male, get a 'medical' plastic urinal (or two) & some wipes, to keep bedside to avoid having to get out of bed at night
(I found it much easier to fall back to sleep when I didn't have to rise out of bed and walk across the room). YMMV

Old 03-03-2023, 01:41 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've been trying an experiment. Tried the newly prescribed HCTZ for a few days. Even when taking it early in the AM, it kept me up at night with frequent urination. Lack of sleep adds to my HBP...

So I've stopped the HCTZ and continued to take my Ramipril 2x/day. And have added more magnesium, potassium and calcium-rich foods to my diet and with some supplementation.

And consuming low sodium...really reading the labels now. I just discovered that the "pepper/lemon" spice I'd been using had listed as its first ingredient salt! Isn't that false advertising? I think it should have been labeled as Salt/pepper/lemon.

And I continue with my daily exercise (gym for resistance machines & light weight lifting), yoga, and cycling.

So far the results have been reasonable BP (130's over 70's)--and glory be! Finally good sleep.

So for me, some BP meds plus some lifestyle modifications through diet/exercise seem to work. Everyone's different, but we've got to find what works for us and our quality of life, yes??

Meds and lifestyle ( diet, exercise, stress control as I'm able) do the trick, for the most part, for me. I could swear the regular exercise works as well as the medication ( though at this point I wouldn't dare cut out the medication, but I'm taking it for more than blood pressure) to keep the blood pressure under control.

I can understand not wanting to get up every couple hours at night to pee, so understand not wanting to continue a diuretic. I generally get up once in the wee hours ( around 4-5 PM) which I attribute to my old-ladyness and/or the chlorthalidone ( which has a longer half life than HCTZ), but I use that opportunity to take an iron supplement tablet with vitamin C ( on an empty stomach, several hours before other meds, to maximize the absorption of the iron) as I have been instructed to do. I'm then able to get back to sleep for another couple hours, so it isn't a problem for me.

I took losartan HCZT for a number of years, until my cardiologist changed the prescription to stop the HCTZ ( said I had no need for a diuretic). I took this medication in the morning with my other meds, and noticed that I'd take extra trips to the bathroom for a few hours after I took it, after that it seemed to taper off, and I generally didn't get up at night. I get the impression that after you've taken a diuretic for a while, it seems to reach a sort of steady state with getting rid of extra fluid so it's not as noticeable after a while. Might not be the case with the stronger or higher doses of diuretics, but I have no personal experience with those.

It might be, then, that if you continued to take the HCTZ for some time, ( or took it in the AM), over time you wouldn't be making all those nocturnal trips to the john. In any case, it'd be a good idea to talk this over with your prescribing physician, and make adjustments from there. It's hard to tell exactly which or what combination of blood pressure medications would best control your blood pressure, often it's trial and error to come up with the best medication, or combination of meds, for you.

Old 03-03-2023, 02:37 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Meds and lifestyle ( diet, exercise, stress control as I'm able) do the trick, for the most part, for me. I could swear the regular exercise works as well as the medication ( though at this point I wouldn't dare cut out the medication, but I'm taking it for more than blood pressure) to keep the blood pressure under control.

I can understand not wanting to get up every couple hours at night to pee, so understand not wanting to continue a diuretic. I generally get up once in the wee hours ( around 4-5 PM) which I attribute to my old-ladyness and/or the chlorthalidone ( which has a longer half life than HCTZ), but I use that opportunity to take an iron supplement tablet with vitamin C ( on an empty stomach, several hours before other meds, to maximize the absorption of the iron) as I have been instructed to do. I'm then able to get back to sleep for another couple hours, so it isn't a problem for me.

I took losartan HCZT for a number of years, until my cardiologist changed the prescription to stop the HCTZ ( said I had no need for a diuretic). I took this medication in the morning with my other meds, and noticed that I'd take extra trips to the bathroom for a few hours after I took it, after that it seemed to taper off, and I generally didn't get up at night. I get the impression that after you've taken a diuretic for a while, it seems to reach a sort of steady state with getting rid of extra fluid so it's not as noticeable after a while. Might not be the case with the stronger or higher doses of diuretics, but I have no personal experience with those.

It might be, then, that if you continued to take the HCTZ for some time, ( or took it in the AM), over time you wouldn't be making all those nocturnal trips to the john. In any case, it'd be a good idea to talk this over with your prescribing physician, and make adjustments from there. It's hard to tell exactly which or what combination of blood pressure medications would best control your blood pressure, often it's trial and error to come up with the best medication, or combination of meds, for you.
Many thanks for your thoughtful post...I'll be seeing my Doc next week and will discuss with her. So far the single med, an ACE, seems to be doing the trick in OK BP, so maybe no need for the newly prescribed HCTZ...fingers crossed.

(the HCTZ was prescribed after just one measurement at the Doc's--while at home for the past 10 days, it's been ok.)

Old 03-03-2023, 03:56 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,548,200 times
I’ve had HBP for probably 40 years. One HCTZ and 50 mg atenolol keep it under control. I drink 60 - 80 ounces of water each day.

Tried an ACE inhibitor once. Got the dreaded “kennel cough.”

The nice thing about the old stuff is it’s dirt cheap. I can get a 90 day supply of both for less than $5.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:00 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Many thanks for your thoughtful post...I'll be seeing my Doc next week and will discuss with her. So far the single med, an ACE, seems to be doing the trick in OK BP, so maybe no need for the newly prescribed HCTZ...fingers crossed.

(the HCTZ was prescribed after just one measurement at the Doc's--while at home for the past 10 days, it's been ok.)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:

That's my experience with HCTZ...I take it in the morning and while I may have 6-7 trips to the bathroom per day, it doesn't really interfere and if anything, I feel like I'm "cleansed" and the fluids help flush out excess sodium and stuff.

of all the meds I've taken, HCTZ/Losartan has been the combo with the least side effects and I can live my life.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:44 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
I've been trying an experiment. Tried the newly prescribed HCTZ for a few days. Even when taking it early in the AM, it kept me up at night with frequent urination. Lack of sleep adds to my HBP...

?

Travellassie has it figured out correctly-- when you first start a diuretic, you "diurese"- you eliminate extra water until you hit a new baseline of hydration. After that, you probably don't urinate any more per day than you did before...Lasix is different. It gives you that rush after taking each dose, then re-accumulate a lot of that salt and water over the rest of the day, so each day you get the rush. Hctz or chlorthaliidone have a more even effect throughout the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I find this post most interesting...I was recently put on Losartan Potassium for high blood pressure. I had tried a couple of other vasodilators, but both made my migraine/aura much worse. Should I just have been started on a diuretic first??? I would much prefer that approach (I think). Frequent urination could be a pain, but seems maybe fewer side effects? Should I ask my doc to take me off the Losartan and start me on a diuretic instead? My BP still seems to fluctuate quite a bit...sometimes high, sometimes low, sometimes right on target. Any advice?
"Should" implies a strict rule. As I outined above, logic says a diuretic first makes the most sense. Changing meds that are working well is a tough call unless there are undesirable side effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I was put on a low dose of Lisinopril 5mg last year for slightly high blood Pressure. I was told to take the pill in the early evening. I noticed immediately I started getting up all night long, from every hour to every 2 hours to urinate. I had asked the Doctor when I was put on the pill if it would have this type of effect on me. I got a very quick No it won't cause that issue. ..
A couple points-- theoretically, BP pills may have a better effect when taken in the evening, but from the practical standpoint, it doesn't really make any difference. Everybody brushes their teeth first thing in the AM, and have an empty stomach then (often better for taking pills) so easier to remember to take your pills-- less chance you'll forget.

ACEs & ARBs shouldn't have a diuretic effect-- but if they cause edema, when you lay down at night, more blood flows to the kidneys, so maybe you are making more urine then. Ever notice how after a nap, you usually have to go to the BR?

Quote:

I can understand not wanting to get up every couple hours at night to pee, so understand not wanting to continue a diuretic. I generally get up once in the wee hours ( around 4-5 PM) which I attribute to my old-, it seems to reach a sort of steady state with getting rid of extra fluid so it's not as noticeable after a while. Might not be the case with the stronger or higher doses of diuretics, but I have no personal experience with those.

Exactly. Well said.

Urinating at night-- of course if you don't usually do it, and then it starts when you start a new med, good chance it's the med...But-- many of us old codgers don't sleep like we did when we were younger. We tend to wake up between our sleep cycles. We roll over and try to go back to sleep, but notice that maybe we ought take a trip to the BR.... We wake up, and then have to go. We don't wake up because we have to go. it's not like we'd wet ourselves if we're too sleepy to get up. ... You girls post-hysterectomy may not agree with that scenario (and you'd be right), but you're usually so disagreeable anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness