Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,992 times

Advertisements

I am on the trial stimulator at this very moment. I have the exact symptoms you described and have been dealing with it for 2 years. The stimulation level can be controlled with a remote. So far its working great. The only downside is because I just started the trial, I am adjusting the level all the time. Even if I just change a little direction in my chair. It is not so overwhelming that you will not feel pain if you hurt yourself. I feel little things like when my foot itches or I bump my knee. Just make sure you do not turn the level up higher than what is needed because it will send a lot of electricity thru your hip and legs and that feels really weird and painfull, kind of like touching a electric fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,949 times
Default terrible numbness post op

I had lumbar Laminectomy S1 L4-5 and discectomy 12 days ago. I awoke from surgery numb foot and weak leg. seemed to be getting a bit better. Doctors said this would take time to go away. I did not have before surgery. Now burning and tingling in both legs and a bit in my face. Is this an emergency ? What could have gone wrong? Is this normal. My Doctors office is out of town and it is a week end.

Last edited by Stephanie Demsar; 05-21-2011 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 05-21-2011, 09:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Call your surgeon. He should have a service to field all calls when the office is closed, in case there's an emergency. Tell the service you -think- it's an emergency, tell them you're 12-days post-op and experiencing burning sensation in your face and want a call from the doctor asap.

They should page the doctor, who should call you right away and let you know if it's something to expect or not.

I opted out of surgery for my S1-L5 disk disentegration, so I don't know if that's a normal response to surgery or not. If it were me, I wouldn't care if it was normal though. I'd still call the doctor for immediate reassurance. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,827 times
I have been dealing with severe pain down my right leg for over two years. I have had every test, MRI's, CT scans, bone scans, you name it. I have had four steriod injections. My doctors says I have a severe case of sciatica. Now he wants to do a spinal cord stimulator. He says it is the cure-all and that I will fee wonderful afterwards. My primary care physician, who I had to see prior to getting the stimulator put in (requirement from my insurance company) says NOT to do it! She says they are terrible, they don't help, only in rare cases, and the limitations are vast. She also said she has seen a lot of infections after implant. Help!! I don't know what to do now. I am in horrible pain, and after 2 1/2 years, I am almost at the end of my rope. I am not cracked up on taking pain meds the rest of my life. Right now, I take a very, very minimal amount, and only at night when the pain is the worst. All my MRIs and CT scans say I have degeneritive disc disease, and 3 bulging discs.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 15,906 times
Post neurostimulator information

Hello,
Many of the symptoms you've described I have had at one time or another. How many surgeries has he had to possibly repair any injuries or problems? Make sure you have a good neurosurgeon you LIKE and has experience w/ these implants.
There is a "TRIAL STIMULATOR" that your Dr can work w/ you to try. It is outside your body. Kinda of awkward at first. I wore mine for about 10 days and the pain relief was astounding! I had my neurostimulator implant surgically done aabout 4 weeks later.
The pain relief is immediate. I had nerve pain lower back, hips, down right. Led/foot. Also have drop foot. Yet one thing to remember it is not a cure all. For me it has taken about 60-65% of the nerve pain away. I have several programs I can choose fromthat help w/ pain in various areas that may change or be woorse some days. Being able to adjust and control the amount of stimulation is wonderful! Talk to the Medtronic rep ahead of surgery so you fully understand how it will work for you.
There is still some pain as well as good days and bad.
I would recommend to anyone who has exhausted all other options.
I can still feel my toes and when I bump into something, so breaking something and not feeling it....for me that doesn't happen. I would think it would be the nerve damage that may or may not cause something like that not the stimulator.
Dorothy

Old 10-09-2011, 04:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,773 times
This is Steve i have had the implant for 3 weeks this monday, At first yes it is uncomfy but you have to give it a chance to heal in you the right way, i was thinking this was a bad idea , but the stimulator is turned down to a comfy level, and is working great. I have had one back Laminectomy 10 yrs ago...then 3 other disc goo bad, so i know what cronic pain is for the last 7 yrs..To all with implants give it a chance........ dont go too high with the intensity,

Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 14,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am looking for some information on Neurostimulation / Spinal Cord Stimulation. My girlfriend's father’s doctor has said this may be the solution to his back pain. He can not walk 50 yards without having to take a break. But yet, they can not tell him what the pain is caused by. So I guess I am wondering how they would know if it would help? His pain is in his hips and down his legs (left leg first, then down the right). I read that Neurostimulation helps with lower back and leg pain but have not heard or read anything about hip pain.

I read on one sight that you could break a toe and not even know it. This obviously concerns me in that I am afraid he could be hurting himself worse and not even know it. Has anyone heard anything like that? Also, if you can not feel the pain, can you feel anything at all? If he gets a burn on his leg or something like that, will he feel it? I realize it may seem like a silly question, but I just want to be sure he has all the facts.

I also heard there may be brands which work better than others. Has anyone heard anything like that? Any suggestions.

Thanks for your help.
I hava a medtronic scs. Just implanted a few days ago. boston makes one but only medtronic lets you have a brain mri if needed. also i have a 9 year battery compared to boston's 5 year battery. I think a trial is what's needed. It show's you what may help ease the soul aching pain. I hope i helped a little

Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 PM

I just had my medtronic scs implated few days ago. this was my last resort from my intense pain in my leg. so far medtronics has been quick to help if needed. the only thing that sucks is that i can never have a mri. just the brain . or they can't defib me if i'm having a heartattack on a plane ect. that is the down side . otherwise so far doing ok.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 PM

Your are right on when describing "the bully" beaning you with the dodge ball . I had a perm scs done week a go. Incredible pain at the battery incision site. Can't hardly place the flat pad on it so i can adjust the stim. you made me laugh for the first time since my scs was done ! thanks for such a funny description on your pain at the site.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:50 AM

4 posts, read 12,203 times
Default neurotransmitter journey

Hi. I'm scheduled to have a neurotransmitter trial placed in two weeks. I was wonder if you could share what your POST operative course was like. I'm a little hesitant having the trial put in before Christmas so I'm hoping your input with help in my decision making. Look forward to hearing from you. Christy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbuns View Post
I have suffered with back pain for over 20 years; I've herniated disks over and over; have endured every type of treatment; physical therapy, acupuncture, epidurals, narcotics, muscle relaxants, patches, and finally spinal fusion. I now have severe pain in my left foot...neuropathy from the fusion; I have severe pain in my lower back, hip area, down buttocks and into legs; I have now herniated a disk above the fusion and have severe spasms in my mid torso and left and right lower back when performing activities such as lifting, bending. After a year with pain management and multiple epidurals, constant pain medication and less and less relief, my doctor had me try a spinal stimulator. It helped all the pain...not 100 %, but gave me about 50% improvement. At first I felt that I had to have the stimulator turned up so high that I could bearly walk. But after practice, I was able to adjust to walking with a high setting. I felt it was good enough to go ahead with a permanent implantation. I'm having it done this week...3/29/10. Aetna is covering it completely. We had this confirmed by the pain doctor, the surgeon, and my husband. I'm hoping it will be worth it. I'm wondering what the recovery is. I've talked to a few people and was told it can be two weeks to a month, while any write ups claim it's only a few days ...and is done in a doctor's office. I'm having it done in the operating room by a top neurosurgeon and will remain in the hospital over night...so am wondering if anyone has had my experience and would like to know if anyone has had success with the stimulator. Mine is by Metronomics ( not sure of the spelling, but it's made by Boston Scientific; is called PrecisionPlus;same company that makes the cochlear implant)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness