Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,952 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow gimps!

I have a fun story about breaking my leg. It was Christmas Eve 2007 and I was on my last load of laundry. I was going for a towel that was hanging on the window (in the basement...to keep the cold air out of the house during the ice storm) and I slipped on a piece of Hot Wheels track and twisted and fell just right to break my fibula and tibia. I knew instantly it was broken and my 15 month old son was in the room with me when I started freaking out and yelling. I quickly realized I needed to get myself together for his sake, so I did. I collected my thoughts and hollered for my 7 year old son and my 4 year old daughter to help me because I didn't want to move my leg. I had to rely on them because my husband went to the store and didn't take his mobile phone and I had no idea when he would be back. So, I sent my 7 year old, Mason to get me a telephone so I could call my parents to help me since I had three children with me. I got my dad who said he would be there right away to help. I knew I had to gather up a few things before going to the hospital. Mason then went to get my purse so I would have my insurance card. I sent my daughter after my bra because there was no way I was going out in public without that. Then, I sent her after a piece of paper and a crayon...I knew she wouldn't be able to find a pen in our house as they seem to be non-existent. The whole time I was having Mason and Brooke run around for me, my 15 month old was coming by intermitently to give my hugs and kisses. What a sweet baby! Anyway, my husband got home right before my dad showed up, so my dad and mom stayed with our children and my husband and I went to the ER...for 5 hours of complete and total fun. They sent me home and told me to contact the orthopedic doctor the day after Christmas. By the way, my leg never did hurt too much. Only when I moved it around and that was more gross than painful. Is that normal? Okay, back to the story: I had surgery the day I saw the doctor and now I have a plate and seven screws. They gave me the goofy walking boot which I actually don't mind too much simply because I can shower without a trash bag on my leg. But, I have some concerns regarding healing. I don't know if I'm some sort of weenie or what, but it hurts really bad to walk. I'm not supossed to put my full weight on it yet (not until this Friday, February 8). What I need to understand is why my ankle hurts. I didn't break my ankle. I broke my leg, but it's my ankle that hurts...a lot and it swells a lot too. Is it stiff? Is it sprained? Is it weak? What's up with the ankle pain? I'm also just frustrated to no end because I can't carry anything (I'm still on crutches). And everything is 5 times harder to do around the house and at the office and everywhere in between. I guess I'm just fed up with this whole broken leg thing and I want to know how long before I'm "normal" again. Thanks for listening to my whining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,941,394 times
I'm sorry you are still in pain, but it will get better! I had a "mini trampoline accident" goofing around with my son (oops) and twisted my ankle very badly, tearing all the ligaments. They did not heal, so I ended up having reconstructive surgery on my left ankle. I had 6 weeks of nonweightbearing just like you have had.

The tibia and fibula are your lower leg bones and they "connect" with your ankle at the ankle joint. My guess from your post is that you broke the distal (far end) tibia and fibula down near the ankle and that is why your pain is there. It is going to take awhile for everything to heal up. Your ankle absorbs so much weight with each and every step. Hopefully the docs send you for some great physical therapy once you are cleared for weight bearing. The whirlpool treatments to help with swelling were wonderful for me. I still use the Therabands to stretch and work with my ankle to this day (I'm an organist and need as much range of motion as possible from it even though the surgery reduced this to some extent). Another good exercise is to pick up marbles or small rubber balls using your toes to grip. Another thing that helped me for exercise was an AirCast brace that had little "freezie packs" in the side that you could chill - the cold felt great and helped keep the swelling down when I exercised.

Good luck - and beware the Hot Wheels track (and Legos and trampolines, LOL)

Old 02-05-2008, 10:21 AM

Default Thank you!

Thank you so much for your reply! I am ever-so-grateful because I am a person of detail and when I ask my doctor questions like, "Why does my ankle hurt if I broke my leg bones?", he looks at me like I'm crazy. I guess most of his patients don't care about things like that???? Anyway, your information was very helpful to me. I haven't heard anything from my doctor about physical therapy so I just sort-of assumed that my injury was too mild to qualify for that. Glad to know it's probably going to be suggested this Friday. Also, thank you for the exercise tips. I'll start doing those things immediately.

I hope you are doing better and good luck to you also!

Hadley

Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,753 times
Hadley,
Your story had me laughing and wincing at the same time! I could just see you, on the floor with a broken leg, kids running back and forth for you, and the baby toddling over to give you hugs and kisses.

I wish you a very speedy recovery, and yes, those exercises mentioned above are very good. Stick to your routine and don't get lazy about it. They will pay off.

I had knee surgery after tearing my ACL while playing soccer. I had very limited Physical Therapy, and my gait still suffers because of it. (My injury was in 2001). My shoes wear really wierd (the soles) and when I can save some money, I want to start over with PT in the hopes of bringing a proper walking gait back. I think that muscles that you switch to using when you are hurt need training to then 'disengage' from extra use when the leg is healed. I don't think mine have been trained to back off quite yet.

Much love to you and your family - Again, I wish you a smooth, rapid recovery, and many more hugs and kisses from the kids

Old 02-20-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Thanks, jbird22...

And, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I didn't realize you had posted a message. I am glad that I was able to entertain you! I wish you well with your knee too. If I had enough money, I would send it to you to for your physical therapy! Good luck with everything and thank you!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:15 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,350,831 times
Entertaining story. I was imagining all this as I was reading it. Are you a writer? If not, you should be.
Do you have the cast off yet? Hope your leg is doing a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness