Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 08:41 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

I'll drink a couple sodas a year, and I don't miss or crave them.

The one thing I always notice, if I DO drink one, I immediately start craving them for the next few hours. That's can't be good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 08:41 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
If you must, go with the cane sugar coke from Mexico in the glass bottle, avoid high fructose corn syrup.
This is true. Fructose hits the liver pretty much just like alcohol. At least cane sugar has a bit less fructose.

Quote:
Best to do it around work out routines so you burn off the excess sugar.
I burn calories at the rate of 10 calories per minute at 150bpm. A 12-ounce can of Coke would take me an additional 14 minutes of cardio exercise just to break even. Much better to skip the Coke.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:19 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I used to buy an occasional can when I had to drive a lengthy distance. But the neat thing about your body is that if you feed it less sugar, or salt, or fat eventually it adjusts and the old levels begin to taste disagreeable. Now I grab a bottle of tea.

When I'm vacationing in Mexico I notice a lot of the blue-collar workers carry enormous bottles of cola to work with them and rinse their teeth in that sugary concoction all day long. Of course it does more damage than that. And from my perception it isn't even thirst-quenching in a warm climate. American-style marketing has been unfortunate for other parts of the world.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:39 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I used to buy an occasional can when I had to drive a lengthy distance. But the neat thing about your body is that if you feed it less sugar, or salt, or fat eventually it adjusts and the old levels begin to taste disagreeable. Now I grab a bottle of tea.

When I'm vacationing in Mexico I notice a lot of the blue-collar workers carry enormous bottles of cola to work with them and rinse their teeth in that sugary concoction all day long. Of course it does more damage than that. And from my perception it isn't even thirst-quenching in a warm climate. American-style marketing has been unfortunate for other parts of the world.
Absolutely. I had severe gallstones, so NO fat for the 3 months before surgery. Sometime after surgery I ate a piece of buttered toast and spit it out in disgust, all that oil in my mouth...

I'm the same with sugar now for medical reasons again, I am so used to not eating sugar that I cannot eat most store bought cookies, cakes, candies and such. Even sugar free is still made SO sweet, that I can't. It just tastes gross.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-25-2022, 12:30 PM

761 posts, read 447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
NEW YORK (AP) — Coca-Cola is working with fitness and nutrition experts who suggest its soda as a treat at a time when the world's biggest beverage maker is being blamed for helping to fuel obesity rates.

Coke as a sensible snack? Coca-Cola works with dietitians who suggest cola as snack - 3/16/2015 1:32:17 PM | Newser
Coca-Cola is working with fitness, nutrition experts and dietitians? One thing I've learned over the many years of paying attention to this sort of thing is this: "Experts" and dietitians who become employed by food or beverage companies, or who are otherwise compensated in other ways, will say anything you want them to say.

I once went to a lecture given by a dietitian who was employed by a supermarket chain. And her main point was, "There's no such thing as bad food". At the end of the lecture I asked her about soda and she said there's nothing wrong with drinking soda as long as you only drink one serving. And she said the serving size will be on the container. And she said the same goes for any food item you can think of.

There were at least 4 or more dietitians who were employed by the supermarket chain, and their job was to go around offering free weight-loss lectures to the public.

I have never been overweight but I went because I knew who their employer was and I wanted to see what they would say.

There are also dietitians who may have weekly columns in newspapers. They are usually hired by industry to promote their product or products and the columns are distributed to various newspapers around the country for free. That's something newspapers can't resist - free columns. And sometimes it may be a free full page layout.

Old 05-26-2022, 10:21 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Since when is a drink a "snack"?

Old 05-27-2022, 05:51 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Since when is a drink a "snack"?
Since when they carry a hundred or more calories of sugar.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:46 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
If you find yourself inclined to believe this, read up on diabetes and pre-diabetes. Hitting your body with a jolt of sugar is a TERRIBLE thing to do. It throws the whole mechanism of insulin and glucose regulation off whack. Repeated over and over it can be a direct contributor to developing diabetes. A paramount consideration in maintaining good health is minimizing blood sugar fluctuations.

Old 05-28-2022, 12:39 PM

110 posts, read 83,660 times
I wouldn't trust any "dietician" recommending coke as a healthy snack. Sounds like the company is getting a little desperate now that many people in the general pop. these days are becoming aware of how bad sugar is when consumed in excess

Old 05-28-2022, 12:59 PM

1,137 posts, read 614,378 times
Growing up as a skinny kid with a hyped up metabolism, I would drink a can of pop everyday after school. Didn't really affect me much because my parents only supplied home cooked whole foods and we never went out to eat junk like McD's etc.

But as I got older and the abuse accumulated (multiple sins of junk food, smoking, excess drinking, stress, many other assorted sins), I find that ****ty food including pop really made me feel ****ty afterwards.

I have zero problems drinking a can of Coke with my Big Mac meal. But I probably have that 2 - 3 times a year max.

We have to realize that junk food is okay if infrequent. The bulk of your diet has to be whole foods and actually contain nutrition.

BTW Coke is definitely addictive. I crave it whenever I eat a hamburger lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness