Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 10:12 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,262,987 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had this? Bitter taste after eating for days – caused by pine nuts? | *Roger Hyam

Who knew?

I just figured it out for myself, and the weird part is that it starts a few days after eating the pine nuts and lasts for a while. It's worse when I eat, almost ruining the taste of the food I'm eating (however it hasn't stopped me ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 07:59 AM

14,420 posts, read 11,877,600 times
Yes, I had that happen to me, but only once. (I would call the taste metallic rather than bitter). Slightly worrisome until I figured out it by googling. The isolated incident has not stopped me from regularly eating pine nuts!

Old 02-07-2015, 05:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,877,839 times
just a suggestion, but I would cease eating pine nuts if I were you. They are known to cause metallic taste in mouth and you've been lucky it hasn't been permanent so far. I developed metallic taste almost a year ago and still have it (it's about 60% better but depends on what I eat). I wouldn't risk it if I were you...giving up pine nuts is a small price to pay, IMO.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:54 PM

15,177 posts, read 27,943,640 times
I stopped buying them after there were big issues w/those from China - and of course, that's where they all seem to be from. I can live w/o them.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,262,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
just a suggestion, but I would cease eating pine nuts if I were you. They are known to cause metallic taste in mouth and you've been lucky it hasn't been permanent so far. I developed metallic taste almost a year ago and still have it (it's about 60% better but depends on what I eat). I wouldn't risk it if I were you...giving up pine nuts is a small price to pay, IMO.
I will stop eating them...I didn't know if could be permanent and the restaurant where I have them often (on my favorite Caesar salad) is all organic if I'm not mistaken - I will ask them at my next visit.

Here I thought it was a sinus problem and post nasal drip causing that bad taste (for me it is bitter when I eat something else).

Old 02-07-2015, 07:35 PM

14,420 posts, read 11,877,600 times
I buy them from Trader Joe's...and they don't come from China. Even if they were, the issue is not where the nuts are from but how individuals react to pine nut oil. I've found no research stating that the bitter taste could be permanent (not saying it couldn't be...just that permanent after-effects are apparently not at all the norm).

As I mentioned, I eat pine nuts all the time and have for years, and have only had the reaction once. But by all means, give them up if it is a big worry of yours! No one cares if you eat pine nuts or not.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:29 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,543,390 times
Most pine nuts come from Europe and are over a year old when you eat them. This is ok for some nuts but the pine nuts have become RANCID.

New Mexico pinon nuts don't have this problem - they grow from pinus Edulis but are hard shelled. They are the best. Next comes the Pinus M from Nevada Colorado - not quite as tasty nor as nutritious but they have the softer shell.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:40 AM

37,289 posts, read 41,533,342 times
The problem does not appear to be with the nuts themselves but an idiosyncratic reaction to them. I would not be surprised to find a gene associated with it, such as the gene that makes cilantro taste soapy to some people or the one that makes people dislike broccoli and similar veggies.

"Pine Mouth" and Consumption of Pine Nuts

Old 04-24-2016, 04:20 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,360,239 times
A metallic taste in your mouth is usually a sign that something is quite wrong. Anything you eat that causes that should be eliminated.

I don't like broccoli because it tastes bad! Same w/ brussel sprouts. These two greens have a long list of people who just dislike their taste. As a vegetarian, it's been a non issue, as I can still eat broccoli raw in salads (cooking seems to bring out all the "flavor"), and seldom encounter brussel sprouts, thank goodness.

People used to throw small cabbages from the floats in New Orleans on St Paddy's day when I lived there, but they stopped that because too many people got beaned w/ them (the coconut effect from the Krewe of Zulu). When they switched to brussel sprouts as a safety measure, they found that most people threw them back. I'd bet that broccoli would get the same response.

I suffered from that sinus drip and seasonal allergies for decades. After eliminating wheat and switching to a much more alkaline diet (most meats, all dairy, and many other foods are very acidic and mucus causing) it completely went away within 2 days. I feel like an idiot for suffering for so long, but this information was not easy to discover. Simply taking 400mg of inexpensive guaifenesin tablets twice a day should help w/ the symptoms, but won't address the problem. There are no side effects w/ this OTC medication.

Last edited by smarino; 04-24-2016 at 04:37 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 11:48 AM

37,289 posts, read 41,533,342 times
The kidneys and lungs closely regulate the acidity of the body, no matter what you eat. "Alkalinizing" one's body is physiologically impossible. If the system gets either too acidic or too alkaline, the lungs and kidneys will correct the problem in a healthy person. Anything you eat, whether the food is acidic or alkaline, is going into your stomach, where the digestive juices are far more acidic than anything you could tolerate eating.

https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpre...ed-hypothesis/

Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense

This is the first of a series of videos on acid base balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frtxifC_J-Q

Allergies have nothing to do with "acid" in your diet. They are a response of the immune system to antigens from such things as pollen in the environment or in food you eat. Those antigens are proteins, and a runny nose can be a reaction to such antigens if you inhale them. Antigens in foods may cause hives. Severe reactions can cause anaphylaxis, which can be fatal.

If you change your diet and your allergic symptoms get better, it is because you eliminated whatever antigen (protein) you were allergic to. It has nothing to do with "acid".

The metallic taste from pine nuts does not mean you are sick.

Some people are genetically predisposed to dislike broccoli and brussels sprouts. They can taste certain chemicals in them that others cannot. That makes the vegetables taste bitter.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...el-sprout-gene

Compound Interest - The Chemistry of Brussels Sprouts: Bitterness & Genetics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness