Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 125,967 times

Advertisements

Hello people! I recently just started donating plasma, great money. I have encountered a problem though, my pulse rate has been too high to give. It goes like this, they test your pulse with the band on your arm, and it needs to be below 100 to give, if not they have you wait either 5 or 10 minutes in a sitting room and try again.

The first time I went in to donate my pulse was 91 so that's good. Second time, it was 103. I waited 5 minutes and it went down to 89. So I could donate both those times. The week after that (this week) I tried to donate again, but my pulse was 112, I waited for 10 minutes and it went down to 106. I went home pretty bummed I couldn't donate. I tried again the next day (today). For fear of it happening again, I took it easy, ate bananas, drank water, and rested for an hour before giving. I get to the place and my pulse is 111, I wait 10 minutes, and when I try again it is 112. Went home really bummed...

So I'm wondering what I can do to lower my pulse? I'm not sure if the last two times were just psychological and too high because I focused so hard on not having a high pulse, or if it is just how I am. I take medication for ADHD and that is a stimulant, so it may raise my heart rate. But it wasn't a problem the first two times I donated. I am 18 years old, healthy, and I don't smoke.

What do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Do a search on your meds and look at possible side effects.Might also speak with prescribing doctor and inform him. of high heart rates.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Do you use illegal drugs?

Old 06-19-2014, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 125,967 times
I talked with my doc, said it's probably anxiety or the finger prick they do before. He said I should ask them to take the pulse before they prick my finger.

Me drugs? Psh.

Thanks guys!

Old 05-16-2016, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 58,979 times
I asked them to do my pulse before pricking my finger and they said no. Someone told me to read something. reading naturally slows down your heart rate. I read the awareness poster. Works for me everytime

Old 05-20-2016, 10:46 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Dehydration can cause a higher pulse. Make sure you are drinking enough water. It will make donation go faster too.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 35,021 times
Take your last dose as early as you can the day before. Make your appointment the next day as late as you can w/o it causing harm before you take your first dose. That should do the trick. Also, don’t drink any caffeinated drinks.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:58 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Explain the process of Plasma Donation. I know it's a large bore needle (not sure I'd like that) But I don't know anything else about the process

I was thinking about picking up a few bucks if I'm not too old (73)

Also, I just don't like the looks of the people going in and out of the plasma center. Lot's ow what we used to call low lifes

Old 10-01-2019, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 31,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Explain the process of Plasma Donation. I know it's a large bore needle (not sure I'd like that) But I don't know anything else about the process

Also, I just don't like the looks of the people going in and out of the plasma center. Lot's ow what we used to call low lifes
A large bore needle is not used, perhaps you are thinking of bone marrows? The needle/catheters used are similar to ones used for donating blood.

Also, nice of you to judge others by the ways they look. People do what they can to make some money. (just like you expressed) Yikes.

You can check to see if you qualify on your local donation sites website.
They also have videos and step by step on the actual procedure and what to expect.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 21,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Wow.. you would think in 73 years that you would have learned not to judge a book by its cover. YOU are part of what's wrong in the world today. ****ing pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness