Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM

84 posts, read 216,100 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am 30 year olds. And since the day I born till now I never got chicken pox.

I heard that MOST people get chicken pox one time in their life, and immune to it and never get it again.
I also heard that the older you get, the worst your chicken pox will be once you get them, also worser complication due to older age.

Um, so should I be worried? Has anyone here never get it before, or already have it, can you share your story? And if you get chicken pox, it is fatal?

I have check my immunization records, and I don't think I have chicken pox vaccine. I do have vaccine for all other stuff.
I'm worried if I go get chicken pox vaccine now, I might end up with the chickned pox, LOL!

And here quote I find from some article online
http://www.drgreene.com/qa-articles/chickenpox-vaccine/
Adults who get chicken pox usually have a much more severe, prolonged case than children. The rate of hospitalization for chickenpox is almost 900% higher in adults than in children. Adults are more than 20 times more likely to die from this disease. === Wao, this is no joke!

Last edited by CA84; 02-26-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 PM

30,256 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA84 View Post
Hello, I am 30 year olds. And since the day I born till now I never got chicken pox.

I heard that MOST people get chicken pox one time in their life, and immune to it and never get it again.
I also heard that the older you get, the worst your chicken pox will be once you get them, also worser complication due to older age.

Um, so should I be worried? Has anyone here never get it before, or already have it, can you share your story? And if you get chicken pox, it is fatal?

I have check my immunization records, and I don't think I have chicken pox vaccine. I do have vaccine for all other stuff.
I'm worried if I go get chicken pox vaccine now, I might end up with the chickned pox, LOL!

And here quote I find from some article online
Chickenpox Vaccine
Adults who get chicken pox usually have a much more severe, prolonged case than children. The rate of hospitalization for chickenpox is almost 900% higher in adults than in children. Adults are more than 20 times more likely to die from this disease. === Wao, this is no joke!
Never had it as a kid, but some siblings did. Guess my immune system was strong enough to ward it off. I figured if I didn't get it, but was exposed to it, with more than one sibling, I'm not even going to worry about getting it.

If I do, and I die...oh well. What are you going to do. We all have to go some time.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Most adults who are too old to have been vaccinated for chickenpox have had it. They may not remember it or they may have had a very mild case.

It is possible to have a blood test for antibodies to the chickenpox virus to confirm immunity. If you are not immune, consider being vaccinated.

The vaccine was introduced in the US in 1995.

Older adults should consider the shingles version of the vaccine, whether they know they have had chickenpox or not. It is FDA approved for age 50 and above, the CDC suggests age 60 and above, though insurance coverage may have different age limits.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,447,826 times
I didn't have chicken pox, even when the kids came down with it. Natural immunity I guess.

Chickenpox can become shingles, and wife has the vaccine, as she has fought a light version of it for decades.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:09 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,245 times
The good news is now that there's a vaccine, chicken pox are rare. Therefore you're not extremely likely to catch it from anyone because no one really has it, or if they do, they are quarantined at home or in the hospital. Still a good idea to see your doctor, listen to their recommendations, perhaps consider shingles or chicken pox vaccines.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
You may have had it and never have known. You can get tested to see if you have the antibody. I did this before I was pregnant, never had the chicken pox (or such a mild case I didn't know) and had the anti body.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:20 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,485,615 times
I have 3 sons that one at a time got chicken pox. The oldest one got a moderate amount of pox all over him, my middle son got a really bad case. He had pox from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet, including in his mouth, ears, scalp, and private areas. The last one to get it was my youngest son. He got such a light case (like 5 tiny pox) that I would not even know he had it if his brothers hadn't and so I was expecting that.

It would be good to get the blood test to see if you are immune or not. That way you can decide if you want to be immunized.

Another thing to consider if that you do not want to get Shingles, which is in the same family as the chicken pox. It is very painful and can last awhile and can return.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
I had it for three weeks as a child in the Forties, in old age I began getting the occasional spot of herpes on my trunk - which I presume is from the pox.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
Yup but I was born in 1950. Everyone had it as a child.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:21 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
I was born in 1958 and didn't get chicken pox as far as anybody knows. (Did get both measles and mumps as a kid, though.)
Never been tested for the antibody but I've never had shingles or herpes or anything like that so far, knock on wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.