Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
How do they know what strain of flu will be circulating? That has always bothered me that they know what will be out there so far ahead of time. I am 59 and have never had the flu shot. Although they say that the virus cannot be contracted from the flu shot, why does it start to really take off in an area when the ads appear on the billboards and in the newspaper for everyone to drive through for their shots? I can tell you that if you are in an area with an aging population, the flu flourishes as they get their shots. And, they get the flu anyway and give it to everyone else. Oh, but, they don't call it the flu because they got the shot to prevent it which adds to the spread. Seriously, quoting the CDC is a joke because they are not on our side. People need to think for themselves and use reasoning skills. The flu shots are money makers but surely no drug companies would be slipping anyone any money in order to get their products out there and in demand.
The WHO, CDC and other organizations report in what they are seeing, and they make an educated guess. I've seen years where they were wrong, and another flu strain circulated widely. Even if the immunization is off, sometimes it can impart partial immunity of the strains had similarities, you might still get sick, but not AS sick as you would have.

Influenza has a season when it circulates more widely, which is also when they start advertising for flu shots. It's not a coincidence, it's based upon knowledge.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,531,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Gueillene Barr (sp) which affects 1 in 100,000 people, at a slight increase over those without flu shots. Ironically, there is about the same increase of getting Epstein Barr among those that have had the flu.
More on that:

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Questions and Answers - Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)

And this:

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=htt...an-flu-vaccine

Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 PM

37,133 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Gueillene Barr (sp) which affects 1 in 100,000 people, at a slight increase over those without flu shots. Ironically, there is about the same increase of getting Epstein Barr among those that have had the flu.

I'm still not getting the connection between Epstein Barr virus and influenza. Epstein Barr is the virus that causes infectious mononucleosis - mono.

However, Epstein Barr virus can also trigger Guillain Barre. Is that what you mean?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,531,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I'm still not getting the connection between Epstein Barr virus and influenza. Epstein Barr is the virus that causes infectious mononucleosis - mono.

However, Epstein Barr virus can also trigger Guillain Barre. Is that what you mean?
Think he is making a point that there are also risks associated with the influenza virus itself, not just the flu shot. Also wanted to restate that the risk of having GB is significantly greater in a person who acquires the influenza virus versus the flu shot.

Only relevant things I read about EBV and influenza link:

1. Influenza (and other viruses) can reactivate a stronger production of EBV antibodies (ie. EBV reactivation, which generally only causes symptoms to appear in the immunosuppressed). Theoretically, the flu shot could also reactivate EBV.
2. Influenza virus "efficiently infects Epstein-Barr virus-immortalized B cells" (ie. EBV remains latent in B cells). This would apply to most adults, since by age 40, 95% of all adults have been infected with EBV and likely still make antibodies to it.
3. Co-infection with both viruses is worse than if either were acquired alone (more applicable to the young), and can exacerbate/reactivate some autoimmune diseases (ex. MS).

http://vir.sgmjournals.org/content/85/8/2347.full.pdf

Last edited by west seattle gal; 10-08-2013 at 11:09 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 10:53 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

It's probably me not you.

I have heard nothing linking Epstein Barr and influenza or the associated vaccine. The Guillene Barre (sp!) being loosely tied into influenza is all I have heard about.

Beside my initially confusing the two. /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,232,959 times
Just saw this, which confirms what I suspected about the flu shot - possibly the reason there is SO much anecdotal evidence out there of people getting sick much more or more severely than usual the only year they got the shot - and I know a lot of people who it has happened to, which doesn't seem like a coincidence.

Increased risk of non-influenza respiratory virus infections associated with receipt of inactivated influenza vaccine

So it's not that people get the flu from the vaccine; it's that they become more vulnerable to all the other viruses out there - and though it wasn't mentioned, I would assume it could include the strains of the flu that weren't in the vaccine.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:29 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,239,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Just saw this, which confirms what I suspected about the flu shot - possibly the reason there is SO much anecdotal evidence out there of people getting sick much more or more severely than usual the only year they got the shot - and I know a lot of people who it has happened to, which doesn't seem like a coincidence.

Increased risk of non-influenza respiratory virus infections associated with receipt of inactivated influenza vaccine

So it's not that people get the flu from the vaccine; it's that they become more vulnerable to all the other viruses out there - and though it wasn't mentioned, I would assume it could include the strains of the flu that weren't in the vaccine.
Confirms nothing....as for your anecdotal "evidence", I know many, many more people who get the vaccine every year and don't get sick guess that isn't a coincidence either so that disproves your anecdotal evidence...

Here is another study which states there is NO correlation between vaccine status and risk of non influenza respiratory infections

Influenza Vaccination is Not Associated with... [Clin Infect Dis. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,232,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Confirms nothing....as for your anecdotal "evidence", I know many, many more people who get the vaccine every year and don't get sick guess that isn't a coincidence either so that disproves your anecdotal evidence...

Here is another study which states there is NO correlation between vaccine status and risk of non influenza respiratory infections

Influenza Vaccination is Not Associated with... [Clin Infect Dis. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI
Well there are plenty of people who don't get the shot and never get the flu...but what I am talking about is people who have only gotten the shot one year and were sicker that year than ever before - not from the vaccine itself but in general. I have a friend that this happened to: never had the shot before, never was really sick, decided to get it one year - and that was the year she was sick constantly, with really bad infections, even ending up with pneumonia for the first time in her life. Never had the shot since, and was never that sick again either. Coincidence - yes, possibly, but I have personally heard way too many stories like that to completely disregard this. I believe in some people the shot does affect the immune system in some way that perhaps makes them more vulnerable. I could be wrong. But imo, if you're one of those generally healthy people that rarely gets the flu and don't have medical issues, I'd skip it.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 AM

37,133 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post

Interesting article, but some things to consider:

1. It was small, only 138 children.

2. Since it was done in children, the results may or may not be applicable to adults.

3. The additional illnesses were colds. Even if the postulated effect is confirmed in other studies, the trade off for protection against the more dangerous influenza infection may be worth it.

4. It was a telephone survey. Although they tried to keep in touch with the families, data collection might not be complete.

5. They did test for influenza A and B.

6. They did not get virus tests from all episodes of the respiratory illnesses. Some tests were obtained more than 3 days into the illnesses

So this is more of a teaser than a definitive study.

So what happens next? You need to look at a larger group of people:

Influenza Vaccination Is Not Associated With Detection of Noninfluenza Respiratory Viruses in Seasonal Studies of Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness

This one used 2010 children and 1738 adults. So it was much bigger. Unfortunately the full study requires payment. The conclusion was

"Influenza vaccination was not associated with detection of noninfluenza respiratory viruses."

Keep in mind that when you remark on people who got sick the year they took the vaccine you cannot ignore the people who stayed completely well. It may be that many of your acquaintances took the vaccine and because they did not get sick you never knew they had taken it.

So I remain unconvinced that taking flu vaccine makes people sick.

Edited to add: Bluedevilz beat me to it! I was reading the full article, though.

We did arrive at the same conclusion, though, you notice. You have to know how many people do not get sick when you discuss vaccines.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,025,385 times
It's a personal choice. No one can decide except you. Obviously it is a tough decision if you read all the pros and cons. That's the thing I hate about this world - everything and I mean everything is polarized. Sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness