Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 02:18 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,071,330 times

Advertisements

Recently, I slept with the ceiling fan and forgot to turn it off. Since then my right ear feels like things are muffled or something like that. I have held my nose and blew to pop it, but no results. It has popped on its own, but still feels muffled. Pharmacy told me to try a OTC drop, but none of what they had seem like it would of solved the issues. Has anyone else experienced this~? I was somewhere this am and people were introducing themselves, and I couldn't hear all of what they were saying. If it doesn't get better this week, I'll see an ear Doc. Just wanting to know your opinions and if anyone has experienced what I an going thru now. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 12:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,349,749 times
I hope it's not hurting you...I think filling up the ear canals with olive oil once in awhile takes care of a lot of minor problems..have you ever tried it?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,545,849 times
You shouldn't hold your nose and try to blow out your ear, it can cause permanent damage. I had a friend that did that all the time and ended up having a few ear surgeries and is now practically deaf in one ear.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:05 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,948,273 times
Do you Qtip your ears a lot by inserting the end of the Qtip into your ear canal? If so, you may have impacted ear wax which can be very difficult to remove. You may have to see the ENT.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,703,728 times
You need to see an ENT because it could be several things. Your eustacian tube may very well be clogged up, you could have packed wax, you could have excessive fluid behind the ear drum, etc. They really need to get in there and check it out. Don't put it off, it's not worth it. Had I reacted quicker to my ear issues, I more than likely would have prevented the cholesteatoma's that developed that cost me most of my hearing.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. I've been reading them, but haven't had the time to post till now. I have an appointment tomorrow. It got bad enough for me to schedule an appointment with an ENT. It got to hurting on Tuesday with the loud noise that seems to vibrate. Then I lost my balance a bit. That is when I decided I couldn't wait any longer. Then yesterday I think, my other ear popped. I do clean my ears with q-tips, but not much wax is found on them when I have. Also, I don't blow that hard when I hold my nose cause I don't get anywhere when I do. Nope, not going to try olive oil. I barely put a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide as a neighbor told me about, and it went straight thru and I had to tip my head the opposite way to get out since that even bothered me.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Thanks for all of your replies. I've been reading them, but haven't had the time to post till now. I have an appointment tomorrow. It got bad enough for me to schedule an appointment with an ENT. It got to hurting on Tuesday with the loud noise that seems to vibrate. Then I lost my balance a bit. That is when I decided I couldn't wait any longer. Then yesterday I think, my other ear popped. I do clean my ears with q-tips, but not much wax is found on them when I have. Also, I don't blow that hard when I hold my nose cause I don't get anywhere when I do. Nope, not going to try olive oil. I barely put a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide as a neighbor told me about, and it went straight thru and I had to tip my head the opposite way to get out since that even bothered me.
It can't go straight through, the eardrum stops it. You let it go down and fill it to the opening in your ear. It will bubble and pop and after about 20 min. you turn your head to the other side and let it drain out.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:40 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,349,749 times
Where I live, if your ear plugs up and you go to the doc he/she tells you to put oil in your ears for a few days first, before they'll clean them out or try anything else.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:56 PM

I went to see the Doc on Thursday and all he did was prescribe some steroid drops. My ear is killing me and I called them and they told me to take some Advil that day, but today I'm having shooting pains in my right ear.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 AM

44,712 posts, read 61,932,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I went to see the Doc on Thursday and all he did was prescribe some steroid drops. My ear is killing me and I called them and they told me to take some Advil that day, but today I'm having shooting pains in my right ear.
Maybe a second opinion is in order. Sounds like he/she didn't do a complete exam.
My ENT did a thorough job and explained everything then pulled some stuff out and put in some drops and everything was fine afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness