Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM

49 posts, read 152,333 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Each time I have a blood test done I'm told that my RBC count is low. It is not anemia, as my iron level is normal. My kidney and liver readings are also normal.

Doctors suggest it is some kinda genetic blood disease, Thalassemia in particular, which is common among those of Mediterranean origin. However, neither of my parents have it, and I know for a fact that you can't have it unless parents are affected or carrying the gene.

My mom says that when I was born, doctors told her that I have G6PD, which is also a genetic blood disease. Affected individuals are often intolerant to fava-beans. I don't have such a thing.

I know there are specific tests for thalassemia and such, but I'm just wondering if anyone have knowledge about what can be the cause of the low reading given the info I provided for my case?

Please note that I have no specific symptoms, other than depression and low energy levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil kitty View Post
Hello.

Each time I have a blood test done I'm told that my RBC count is low. It is not anemia, as my iron level is normal. My kidney and liver readings are also normal.

Doctors suggest it is some kinda genetic blood disease, Thalassemia in particular, which is common among those of Mediterranean origin. However, neither of my parents have it, and I know for a fact that you can't have it unless parents are affected or carrying the gene.

My mom says that when I was born, doctors told her that I have G6PD, which is also a genetic blood disease. Affected individuals are often intolerant to fava-beans. I don't have such a thing.

I know there are specific tests for thalassemia and such, but I'm just wondering if anyone have knowledge about what can be the cause of the low reading given the info I provided for my case?

Please note that I have no specific symptoms, other than depression and low energy levels.

RBC being low is fairly common especially in women. There are a number of reasons that this can happen so no one here can say for sure that your cause is thalassemia. Is it a little low or very low?

It's fairly easy to find out if you have thalassemia or not. I'm not sure why the doctor would just "suggest" it rather than send a sample out to have it tested. The first indication of a problem (or a suggestion of thalassemia) would be the examination of a blood smear after your CBC seems off. There are characteristics that many people with thalassemia have that are visible in blood smears.

I'm guessing you mean you have a G6PD deficiency. G6PD is not a disease. G6PD is an enzyme. The deficiency and the severity of it is very easy to test for---again, all your doctor needs to do is send a lavender tube.

Since we cannot diagnose you, I would suggest you return to your doctor and to actually ask him/her to confirm your suspicions. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil kitty View Post
Hello.

Anemia...by definition is a low number of blood cells. If your rbc count is low you are anemic.

Iron deficiency is one cause of anemia, not the only cause. Having normal iron levels does not mean you aren't anemic.

Thalassemia is autosomal recessive so unless your parents have been tested for thalassemia and found to be negative they could very well carry the trait and you could manifest the disease state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness