Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,848,110 times

Advertisements

Now that I am in my 40's I am finding it hard to find my 'groove' for lack of a better word. I am exercising, eating healthy but my youthful (sniff) glow is gone, my nails are brittle, hair is falling out, and I am getting fat!!!

For those women who have hit this mark, has anything helped you regain your 'stride' and confidence? I know I am not going to look 20 again, but I feel like I just don't look good. I feel tired, old and haggard....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 03:34 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,168,339 times
Go your GYN and have them test your FSH level...I'll bet you're in perimenopause.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Go your GYN and have them test your FSH level...I'll bet you're in perimenopause.
I am sure I am. My visit isn't due until September. So I'll have to wait until then. Just curious of beauty tips, vitamins, whatever!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,974,901 times
How old are you?

I am a "young" retiree, but have aged at least ten years in the last couple of years due to family stress.

If you can do anything in your life, eliminate stress, eat organic fresh food, and exercise . . . can't wait to hear other beauty remedies . . .

Old 07-06-2012, 05:25 PM

21,032 posts, read 28,663,480 times
I wake up every morning and after my shower I get dressed and put on my makeup even if I am staying home. I style my hair and get ready for the day what ever it may be. (I am off for the summer because I work in a school cafeteria) It makes me feel better. My mom has taught me this. I am 41. even if I feel blah I do the make up and hair thing. Maybe you could try a new haircut and buy some new makeup. I have to get at least 8 hours of sleep at night or else I am a zombie the next day. If I go to bed say 10:30 pm I can get up at 6:30 am not problem. I feel more energized since loosing 52 lbs also. My mom never leaves the house without doing her hair and make up and she says it makes her feel good even when her life is stressful. I also think you might be peri menopuase. You say your nails are brittle and you hair is falling out? You could try this clear nail polish that helps brittle nails I think sally Hansen makes it. Do you take vitamins? What Causes Brittle Fingernails? | LIVESTRONG.COM I hope this link helps you

Old 07-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Lubby thanks, just bought Sally Hansen. I have been taking Biotin for a year.

Congrats on the weight loss!!!

Getting older just bites. I am trying everything I know of, so figured it cannot hurt to ask!

@imcurious, I am sure stress has a lot to do with it. I had so much stress in my life last year I couldn't cope. I am slowly recovering from it and trying to de-stress....

Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 PM

Maybe get your thyroid checked.

Take good care of yourself - get massages, mani/pedi's . . .whatever you need to restore and rejuvenate . . . it is an investment in your health!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 PM

If your FSH is out of whack, consider going on the pill.

I was like you this time last year, I was miserable! Went to see my doc because of cycle issues and we did the whole head to toe run down...good news, total cholesterol is 146, blood pressure is so normal it's scary and thryroid is good bad news, FSH is droppng.

After just 3 days on the pill I felt like a million bucks....I was actually looking forward to getting out of bed and facing the world. It was wonderful...it's still wonderful! I did have to try two brands til I found the one that works best with my body, but it was sooooo worth it. I'm 43, never been on the pill and he thinks 3 yrs is the longest Ill be on the pill..so whatever 'risks' there are, they aren't worrying me one bit.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 PM

oh! for the nails...get a mani with shellac...it will help your brittles nails and they will great and wont' break so easily.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 PM

Brittle nails are not a beauty problem, they are a health problem. You have to find out what is causing your nails to be brittle and address that - also having your hair fall out is not normal - hair and nail problems are related. Do some research on the internet and go to the doctor and have everything checked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness