Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 PM

51 posts, read 255,454 times

Advertisements

I think I may be constipated, but idk.

The last few days I feel like I have to poop but when I go to the toliet I just pass gas and sometimes a mucus like substance will come out. I do poop regaluar in the AM but after that I have this senerio.

Does this sound like I'm constipated?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 01:32 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,298 times
Yup, drinking enough water? Eating enough leafy greens? Try some flax seeds. Prunes. Figs.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:15 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Prune, juice and apple juice works for my husband. Drink alot of water, eat salad. last resort would be a laxative or enema.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I think that at this point a laxative would be a good thing, but use a magnesium based one. While you're waiting for the show to start, follow the above advice. BTW, salad makes me worse.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,981 times
Most the above posts are on target, lots of liquid, prune juice, milk of magnesia can work too. When I am constipated which is to often, I sometimes drink prune juice,,, & when I drink that I want to be home & close by the bathroom, sometimes the urge is sudden.. Eating salads makes me worse too.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:02 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,968 times
Don't know how you could be constipated if you go every AM?

However, a tablespoon of Paraffin oil will lubricate the bowel so you can pass a motion easier, it won't necessarily soften it but will provide oily film in bowel to enable the motion to move.

*If* Paraffin oil is still available that is.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
You can buy a waxy bowel suppository to grease the way; it is OTC. My doctor recommended that when I was having trouble due to a med and not drinking enough water. They do help "stuff" ease on out. TMI but I was trying to pas a boulder and it just could not get out until I used those things. Took a few to get parts out and then the whole thing finally passed.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-31-2012 at 11:40 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
If I eat alot of salad It makes me go right away and so does drinking coffee. But I don't take any meds and I know some meds and painkillers can make you constipated. Stay away from bananas. Eating bran cereal helps too.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Go to the health food store and ask someone in the nutrition department to show you the different natural products to help with the health of the bowels.
I do not think a laxative, natural or otherwise, is the best approach but rather you want to improve the health of your bowels ... not just force the body to go. Also, you are eliminating to a degree.
I think that the best approach is a psyllium based powder to be mixed with water or juice.
I use a product called "Fiber Harmony". It contains psyllium, aloe vera and inulin and it's very effective and gentle as well.
Avoid over the counter pharmaceuticals and senna, though it's natural, is imo best to avoid as well.
Another suggestion ... when you're at the health food store get a pro-biotic (friendly bacteria) supplement. It won't be expensive and it's a good way to balance the flora in your intestines.
If you're a big sugar eater, cut it out.
Do drink plenty of good water every day. If your tap water is not good (chances are it's not) an economical solution is a Brita water pitcher which will filter your tap water.
Eat plenty of whole foods and ideally it's best, imo, to avoid cheese and other dairy products or at least keep them to a bare minimum.
If you're a meat eater you may want to consider cutting way back on it.
We should be having at least one full and "satisfying" bowel movement a day.
I imagine that you're not completely emptying your bowels in the morning.
We all know (i should hope) what a really good bowel movement is like. That should be the norm but because of poor diet and other quite addressable factors people are not, generally speaking, pooping good like they could.
Good bowel function is important (essential actually) for optimal health.
Do get regular / daily exercise. Just walking is a great way to keep things moving.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:32 AM

156 posts, read 694,684 times
Eat fiber. Or take a a couple fiber pills. Wait about 24 hours. If no stool passes, try Colace (softens stools). Once stool has passed, see how it is over the next week. If you're still having problems, go see your doctor.

Are you taking any medication? Some side effects of common medication include constipation, the most frequent being opioids, e.g. Norco, Oxycodone, and Vicodin (those are the names you'll hear most likely).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness