Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A deputy died in the line of duty from giving a baby mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, the Orange County Sheriff's Office told WFTV Wednesday. After 11 years on the job, 40-year-old Deputy Sebastian Diana died last weekend in the line of duty.

Deputy Dies After Giving Baby Mouth-To-Mouth - News Story - WFTV Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 PM

419 posts, read 868,479 times
Wow, what an unlucky break for that deputy. He died a hero, though.

The other day I read in Reader's Digest that we don't have to do breaths anymore with CPR. Compressions alone are sufficient. The article went on to say that forgoing the breaths actually is better because compressions are the most important part and there's enough oxygen in a person's blood to sustain them.

Didn't find the magazine article, but here's a link to an article from the Red Cross about it. This was back in 2008. My last CPR training was in 2010 and we still did breaths with compressions.
http://www.njredcross.org/redCrossPositiononCompressiononlyCPR.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-21-2011, 05:49 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
That is really random and sad. I hope it does not dissuade people from performing CPR to save lives. Many people who are CPR certified, carry around a mouth guard...although I know I wouldn't worry about using a mouth guard if I were providing CPR to a baby.

Those who are trained to do CPR are still required and trained to do the breaths, as stated in the link jaida provided, and I also know this because I am also required to be CPR certified (by Red Cross standards) because of where I work.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:36 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
That is really random and sad. I hope it does not dissuade people from performing CPR to save lives. Many people who are CPR certified, carry around a mouth guard...although I know I wouldn't worry about using a mouth guard if I were providing CPR to a baby.

Those who are trained to do CPR are still required and trained to do the breaths, as stated in the link jaida provided, and I also know this because I am also required to be CPR certified (by Red Cross standards) because of where I work.
The AHA standard is chest compressions ONLY for CPR for the layperson...

One never needs to perform rescue breathing outside of the hospital, only chest compression at a rate of about 100/min.

I have had to perform out of hospital CPR and I did chest compressions only. Without a mouthguard or ambu bag I would not do rescue breathing on a random stranger.

On the other hand, I agree that if it were an infant I would have done the breathing. In infants it is more likely to be respiratory distress anyway and the breathing is more critical.

It is very likely that the standard will change very soon for Red Cross and AHA and chest compressions ONLY will become the standard of care for all first responders until an airway can be established.

The research is pretty dramatic that chest compressions alone is vastly superior to chest compressions plus rescue breathing.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,329 times
I'm also CPR/First Aid certified and for a baby, I'd likely do mouth to mouth even without a mouthguard, because who would think that the baby would have something like this?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,472 times
i guess compressions only are okay up to a certain point because there is oxygen reserve in the blood, but after the oxygen is depleted it's about as good as doing nothing. I'd give a couple of breaths if nobody arrives after oh... 3-5 minutes... and I'd do it through some sort of cloth as a filter.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
i guess compressions only are okay up to a certain point because there is oxygen reserve in the blood, but after the oxygen is depleted it's about as good as doing nothing. I'd give a couple of breaths if nobody arrives after oh... 3-5 minutes... and I'd do it through some sort of cloth as a filter.
The cloth would do nothing....and trust me, until you have been in the situation you really don't know what you would do.

The compression only technique is good enough until medics arrive. If an AED isn't on the scene within a matter of minutes its all moot anyway

Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,953 times
Omg

Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Apparently the officer was "sick on and off for the last few years"...I'm sorry he died so young...but don't personally believe he died as a result of giving mouth to mouth to the baby.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
There is somethin screwy with this story. I followed up on several articles of this story, all are unsatisfactory. They don't disclose the supposed bacterial infection, they suggest it affected his heart, and some say the baby died and one says he was a hero for saving the baby. He died 3 years later! This one even says he wore a protective mask. There is zero link from the baby to this deputy's death, that I can see.
This story is meaningless, more questions than answers.
Deputy Dies From Infection Caught While Saving Infant - PoliceLink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness