Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing a lot of personal health problems posted on FB today. Seems to me this sort of thing should be kept personal, yes? Or am I being old fashioned in some way?

In the last month I have read about 2-3 hospitalizations of parents/grandparents, that is this month alone.

Today I just read a status update which said, to paraphrase, Dear facebook, there is some type of mass in my uterus. The doctor just sliced off a bit for a biopsy. I'm not happy with this.

Isn't that a bit much to put out there? Or is it just me, and I need to get with the program.

Is this the new world order???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM

And I should admit, I'm a bit paranoid about Facebook. I am there, refuse to list any real info, refuse to click the "like" button on anything other than friend's photos. I am pretty sure a database is being built on everyone, and today's 20 year old is going to be marketed to in ways we can't imagine when s/he is 30. So with the health thing, I view it as 1 part TMI, and 1 part something you don't need to have tracked.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:01 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,608 times
I view it as TMI, but others view it as a way to broadcast an announcement of a health concern to many people at once.

The problem is that I have friends of varying degrees on FB. Some are very close and would more than likely know of my problem. Others are coworkers I'd want to keep that private from.

I recently had to explain different social medias to my mom who is 64. She was asking if she wanted to send a broadcast message, if it would be easier via email or FB. I had to explain to her that via email, you can choose the recipients where on FB you post it for all your friends to see. She still didn't quite get it.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I view it as TMI, but others view it as a way to broadcast an announcement of a health concern to many people at once.

The problem is that I have friends of varying degrees on FB. Some are very close and would more than likely know of my problem. Others are coworkers I'd want to keep that private from.

I recently had to explain different social medias to my mom who is 64. She was asking if she wanted to send a broadcast message, if it would be easier via email or FB. I had to explain to her that via email, you can choose the recipients where on FB you post it for all your friends to see. She still didn't quite get it.
I guess I can see it if people use the FB lists and allow the "Grandpa's health scare" messages to be viewed by family only. Or close friends, etc. But it seems nobody does, and instead posts it to all FB "friends." Maybe they don't know how to use the lists?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I guess I can see it if people use the FB lists and allow the "Grandpa's health scare" messages to be viewed by family only. Or close friends, etc. But it seems nobody does, and instead posts it to all FB "friends." Maybe they don't know how to use the lists?
Honestly, I don't know how to use the lists either. If I want health or other personal info about me or family to be sent out, I do it via email or even better, a phone call. Maybe this particular person thought you should be on her list of those privileged to hear the news.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
As long as it doesn't get into the area of TMI or TOO personal, I have no problem with people sharing their health concerns/crises/issues on Facebook. ( However, I, on the other hand, am not real nervous about info on Facebook.)

I'll put it this way...if the conversation would be acceptable and not too personal to share with your friends (mixed company) at work, it's not too personal for Facebook. I really only object to stuff that is... well, "gross." ( To me details of peoples' children's potty training/habits while not exactly "medical" gets a little gross for example.)

In short, your example about the biopsy seems too specific and personal, but simply sharing that someone was hospitalized doesn't seem to me too personal at all.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
It is however, a good way for a burglar to 'case" someone's house if they know they are hospitalized.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It is however, a good way for a burglar to 'case" someone's house if they know they are hospitalized.
That all depends on how much info you put out there about yourself. I have close to 600 friends on Facebook and a good 90% of them are strangers that play the same games that I do. Those stranger friends are not privy to my personal info i.e., phone, address and email. They do however see the town that I live in. Big deal! If you have a common name like Kathy how many Kathy's live in your town. Not too identifying in my mind.

Anything you put on Facebook can be locked from specific people. If you don't know how to do that you really should learn.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Oh I see people post, "Taking the family on vacation" quite often. I'm surprised I haven't heard of more robberies!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
LOL!!! I just posted of my upcoming surgery and last week a good friend posted about his wifes double masectomy. The only friends I have on FB I know personally. They are close friends, family, close friends from church, etc. I don't have any "friends" on FB that I do not personally know. I know many that do. It is a good way to let others know how things are going when these medical crisis come up and they can pray about it and such.

As a matter of fact I have my FB connection on my iPhone and plan on my daughter posting the update of when I'm out of surgery so that my friends know all is well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness