Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 AM

752 posts, read 2,086,640 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if any women here have more serious side effects with the Depo shot than they do with "the pill" ? For me, the Depo really inflates the weight gain. I have also had a "blah" feeling that I have not been able to shake even though I take anti-depressants. I remember being on the shot a year or two ago and having the same "blah" feelings. I took the pill for awhile and didn't have so much weight gain or depression. What do other women who have taken these methods think about the side effects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
i was on the pill for most of 20 years and never had a single problem.....

i was on the depo shots for a year and was MISERABLE.... turned into a psycho biotch on wheels... paranoid, angry, irritable, you name it .... it was AWFUL for me......

Old 06-18-2010, 04:08 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
I've been on Depo for years and haven't had a problem. The only thing it did was stop my period, which is the only reason I'm on it.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
When I was using birth control, I had a very bad experience with Depo. It made me extremely moody and psychotic. It is also very likely to cause weight gain. Couldn't remember to take a pill everyday. Used ortho evra patch for like 5 years before stopping b.c. completely. Thank god.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
An ex of mine was on Depo for a couple years. It really messed her up. This was 10-12 years ago when it was still fairly new. She'd gone to several doctors -- university hospital etc. trying to figure out what was wrong with her -- shakes, etc. Nobody seemed to have a clue. Then she heard about someone else who had similar problems while on Depo. She quit it and was "apparently" okay after awhile. (I say apparently, because I when I broke up with her she was still having major problems.)

Old 06-19-2010, 03:54 PM

532 posts, read 1,177,062 times
I'm on Depo, and have been for 1.5 years. I don't have any weight gain side effects. I actually lost weight not even trying. (not trying to brag). I stay on it because it's one of the few BCs that are estrogen free, and I cannot have estrogen in my BC because the stroke risk is increased because I have aura migraines. Plus I like no period.

I probably will go off it when I'm ready to have children. Heard it can take a long time to get out of your system, but I guess that means I'll just be extra ready for kids!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:09 AM

31 posts, read 171,300 times
I got my first injection march 8. I have been having "shakes" or feelin jittery sometimes. I had a little spotting the first week and now I have been bleeding for like a week now a bright red regular flow and Ive lost all libido. I do not intend on continuing this form of bc because for one I never liked the idea of a bc shot anyway and after you take it for so long it takes a long time to leave your system and theres nothing that you can do but wait.
I was on the pill also. Right after i gave birth to my son last year they put me on seasonique. That pill made me a crazy psycho emotional wrek! With no sex drive(thats probably why its so effective). my hair was falling out no joke. im used to seeing hair in the shower but it started to be overwhelming amounts. It could have been because i stopped breastfeeding but hair loss was a side effect of that pill. Ive been on one other type of pill too because I HAD to get off that stuff.
I am going to try the pill again but I dont know which one to try. I dont know what to look for or whats best for my body.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,996 times
Hi Daydai,
I was on the depo shot for years. It made me crazy, shaky and irritable, so I stopped it on my own. Now I'm currently on Errin Oral which is a pill form of the depo shot. It stops your cycle completely. My doctor put me on it for medical reasons. It's a very low dose of .35 mg, and it is a less effective rate of BC. So be warned on that little "side effect" of possible pregnancy. LOL But so far, so good. I like it a lot. It agrees with me and doesn't make me crazy at all. Here's a link to WebMD information about it: Errin Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

I highly recommend this one, but you need to consult your doctor to see about a 2 or 3 month trial for you. That's what I did. The pill can be stopped at any time, but the shot you can't do anything about until it wears off. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM

31 posts, read 171,300 times
Thanks Pierce! I didnt know why I was so shaky until I read this thread and it all made sence. Ive also had a mild upset stomach (constant). And nausea when im hungry. And the bleeding started after the 1st time I had sex since the shot and i swear the sex the night before had something to do with me bleeding the next morning.
But thank you for the advice when I get to my desktop Im going to do some research. I go back to the doc next month for my second shot but instead ill ask about the pill form and other bc. i dont like the "permanentness" of the shot. I mean I do want more children and when im ready i dont want to wait!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Have you considered an IUD? I was looking into that for birth control but then my husband decided on a vasectomy (thankfully!).

I used NuvaRing and really liked the convenience of that BC but it made me have panic attacks. I switched over to Ortho Tricyclen lo and I didn't have any side effects to it.

I'm actually considering going back on it to control my heavy cycles. I just had a D&C and polyp removal, but if the polyps come back the plan is another polypectomy and then back on ortho tricyclene lo or POP's for prevention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness