Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times

Advertisements

I had my advantage plan double in cost for 2010, too.
I can get a cheaper plan with them, but I'll have to pay co-pays.
So it's back to research. I noticed that there seem to be a lot fewer plans for next year.
Blue Cross/Blue Shield is looking good, so far, in terms of cost and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 04:30 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I did a comparison of the 2 Blue Advantage plans and really didn't see a anything for difference in price versus what they paid out. BC/BS told me that it was because it cost them more for the 'preferred plan' than they anticipated. The biggest difference I saw was the co-pay for nursing home.

I am going to go with the $41.00 a month unless something better comes along. I have checked a few other plans and they cost more and pay less. If anyone has any suggestions maybe we could do a cost comparison

Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I did a comparison of the 2 Blue Advantage plans and really didn't see a anything for difference in price versus what they paid out. BC/BS told me that it was because it cost them more for the 'preferred plan' than they anticipated. The biggest difference I saw was the co-pay for nursing home.

I am going to go with the $41.00 a month unless something better comes along. I have checked a few other plans and they cost more and pay less. If anyone has any suggestions maybe we could do a cost comparison
Check it very carefully. I've noticed that in some of the cheaper ones they now "Balance Bill" -- the doctor can bill you for more than the insurance company/Medicare pays.

This is the note under Blue Cross/Blue Shields Blue Advantage Gold:
Premium and Other Important Information2 General
$81.00 monthly plan premium in addition to your monthly Medicare Part B premium.
This plan does not allow providers to balance bill (charging more than your cost share amount). $3,400 out-of-pocket limit. This limit includes only Medicare-covered services.

This is the note under Cigna Medicare Access
"$20.00 monthly plan premium in addition to your monthly Medicare Part B premium.
Balance billing means that a provider may charge and bill you more than the plan's payment amount for services.
There is a limit on what providers may charge for Medicare-covered services.
Providers may balance bill 0 % to 15 % of the plan payment amount for the following services:"

These notes are from the Official Medicare.gov site. It's in the fine print under the ratings for each plan. Something else to watch out for.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Check it very carefully. I've noticed that in some of the cheaper ones they now "Balance Bill" -- the doctor can bill you for more than the insurance company/Medicare pays.

This is the note under Blue Cross/Blue Shields Blue Advantage Gold:
$81.00 monthly plan premium in addition to your monthly Medicare Part B premium.
This plan does not allow providers to balance bill (charging more than your cost share amount). $3,400 out-of-pocket limit. This limit includes only Medicare-covered services.

This is the note under Cigna Medicare Access
"$20.00 monthly plan premium in addition to your monthly Medicare Part B premium.
Balance billing means that a provider may charge and bill you more than the plan's payment amount for services.
There is a limit on what providers may charge for Medicare-covered services.
Providers may balance bill 0 % to 15 % of the plan payment amount for the following services:"

These notes are from the Official Medicare.gov site. It's in the fine print under the ratings for each plan. Something else to watch out for.
tT hat is because many hospitlas use providers the advanatge plan has no contract with sothey can bill at ful cost.Thsi can be a problem with even private plan that are PPO or HMO. That is one advantage pay for service medicare doesn't have because all their proividers at any hospital I am familar are checked to take medicare patients by the hospitals. Not so with the advantage palns and private insurnace networks.When you are in a approve hospital yopu can control what labs they use labs and other providers they use nder the hosptials contracts that your paln does not cover;so check this with your plan. Msot plans listed the different outside providers used by hospiatks and if they are in the network. Thsi further limits chocie in hospitals to many.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:10 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by San View Post
The government is trying to coax people onto these "Medicare Advantage Plans" Sooner or later they are trying to phase out the actual Medicare. In reality, the government subsidizes these private plans with far more than they do Medicare. When Medicare is no more and it's up to private insurance, the private insurance is going to get tough and there may be places that won't accept people. Also they can get very dictaorial about what you can and cannot do. I am serously ill and after discussing it with our doctor, we are just sticking with straight medicare.
All of the MedAdvantage plans are highly regulated by the governing body of Medicare..CMS. The MedAdvantage plans don't replace or supplement Medicare but are Medicare Part C. Part C is equal to Parts A, B, and D.. in one plan where the claims are paid by an insurance company. With original medicare you are responsible for an unlimited amount of out of pocket costs. With original medicare and a medicare supplement you are paying an insurance company to help with those unlimited amount of out of pocket costs. With MedAdvantage plans you are required to pay some cost sharing that is usually capped by a maximum out of pocket limit so that there may be less of a financial burden. If you are seriously ill and you have a medicare supplement it is often best to stay on the supplement because if you leave it by not paying the premiums or switching to a MedAdvantage plan you have to qualify by answering health questions.

I would seek out a local independent agent as they are obligated to discuss how medicare works and what would be best for you in your situation. They cannot charge for this service nor can they pressure you to do anything, if they do they will lose their medicare certification and possibly their license.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post

I know some people distrust insurance agents and I am one (I am an agent and also distrust them, especially car insurance agents LOL).. but when it comes to medicare.. the agents have to go through, gosh, if I added up all the testing and training I had to go through this year.. it would be close to 8 hours per company I represent (and I represent 14 different companies). Yikes! but that means that they know what they are talking about. I am not saying you should ask me.. since I am not in your area and besides I am not trying to solicit business.. however, I do know that they cannot charge you and cannot pressure you or they can lose their license. So it may be a good idea to call a local independent agency who represents several companies. They can walk you through the medicare.gov website and help you choose the appropriate plan.

Now there are always bad apples in the bunch... but hopefully those agents get caught and lose their medicare certification because they give us all a bad name!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:08 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
...switching to a MedAdvantage plan you have to qualify by answering health questions...
Please explain this statement??? Perhaps you know something I do not know. You can easily switch from any type of medicare plans and there is no medical questionnaire. You cannot be refused by medical qualifications. There is only one question if you are suffering from end stage renal failure which have specific provisions, among which would may you disqualified for a Medicare Advantage Plan. However, there are other Special Need Plans available.

Thank You.

Livecontent

Old 11-13-2009, 05:20 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Please explain this statement??? Perhaps you know something I do not know. You can easily switch from any type of medicare plans and there is no medical questionnaire. You cannot be refused by medical qualifications. There is only one question if you are suffering from end stage renal failure which have specific provisions, among which would may you disqualified for a Medicare Advantage Plan. However, there are other Special Need Plans available.

Thank You.

Livecontent
I agree.. I was told they can not refuse you health insurance other than end stage renal failure and the special need plans.

Isn't it weird that the same company has different name for plans and different cost? BC/BS has blue advantaged in AL with the most costly being preferred at $142 a month.

Last edited by Keeper; 11-13-2009 at 05:29 PM..

Old 11-13-2009, 07:37 PM

Another change I'm seeing on 2010 plans is that the co-pay or charge for "other radiological diagnosis tests" have changed. Things like CT scans, MRIs, etc. The really expensive stuff.
I've gotten these in the past with no co-pay. The plan has changed it to $75 per test and I'm seeing 20% of cost on some of the other plans I'm looking at. These can cost quite a bit. Double-check what your plan will cover in the future.
The company I've had an Advantage plan with, Windsor, finally got all their plans up on their website. I may stick with them, but drop to a lower coverage level. It would save me half of what I'm paying a month now and not change out-of-pocket that much.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

Thank You.

Livecontent
I believe I was talking about switching from a supplement to a MedAdvantage plan. If you wait more than a year and want to go back to a supplement you must go through medical underwriting. Sorry about the confusion. This doesn't apply to MedAdvantage plans.. only Medicare supplements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance