Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM

45 posts, read 102,625 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know for sure if childless adults below 133% FPL will be eligible for health insurance through Oregon medicaid program effective 2014?

The state website isn't clear about this. From what I can tell, Oregon is planning on the expansion. However, I can't find anything official from the state website. For California, it's very clear and it's on the state Human Services website.

I tried calling Oregon Dept of Human Services and they were not able to tell me exactly on who will be eligible for Medicaid effective 2014. When I called California, they were able to confirm right away.

Does anyone have more information regarding Medicaid expansion and eligibility criteria effective 2014 for Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 AM

25,604 posts, read 56,653,892 times
Don't think it is finalized, as yet. Per Kaiser, your state supports expansion, legislature still working on it.

Status of State Action on the Medicaid Expansion Decision, as of July 1, 2013 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Given your political climate, it would be surprising if your Medicaid expansion did not include childless adults. Your state is accepting government money for this, is it not?

In WI, our crappy governor is NOT accepting Medicaid money and requiring people be even poorer to qualify for Medicaid - lowering income limit to $11,400 instead of $15,218, iirc. He wants these people to buy insurance on the exchanges. Even if they bought insurance, they couldn't afford the copays and deductibles.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:01 PM

45 posts, read 102,625 times
I'm looking to move to Oregon or CA so I'm interested to know for sure regarding these two states. Thanks for the link Ariadne22, this helps confirm the current status.

Yes, MN is super good. Even before this health reform - low income childless adults do get medical assistance as part of the state Medicaid program.

I hope this gap in the law will change somehow. It doesn't make sense to have health care reform where states opt out but yet the poorest group of people don't even qualify to purchase health insurance through the federal exchanges. In order to participate in HIX, you have to be making at least 133% of FPL...so with this new law, there is such as thing as "too poor to qualify for assistance" which doesn't make any sense.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:50 PM

I was talking about political climate in Oregon, not Minnesota. Didn't know you were now in MN and thinking of moving. Saw the screen name but couldn't make an assumption based on that.

It would be very surprising if Oregon excluded childless adults for its Medicaid expansion. Very surprising. Now, if this was TX, NC, GA, one of those states, one could expect their legislation to be very draconian. They don't like the poor. Period.

My understanding of the 133% FPL, is that if anyone is below that, they are eligible for Medicaid - except, of course, in the states which are enacting even lower income limits for Medicaid eligibility. Don't know what will happen to those people, here - unless our stuuupid governor's (state law) idea will override the 133FPL for the HIX.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
you have to realize that starting in 2017 the federal subsidy for increased Medicaid spending will go w away. that means it will fall on taxpayer to fill that gap; except for Nebraska which got a exemption in the bill be cause Nelsen (D) said it would bankrupt his state. Recent supreme court decision said that states can not be cut because they refuse to change the funding of Medicaid which many states will be do to certain extent likely. There is even talk about the feds lowering the income level of people required to buy in pools since the funding for pre existing condition subsidy ran out so quickly last year. The bill is basically failing on the funding end which doesn't surprise a lot of people really.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
you have to realize that starting in 2017 the federal subsidy for increased Medicaid spending will go w away. that means it will fall on taxpayer to fill that gap; except for Nebraska which got a exemption in the bill be cause Nelsen (D) said it would bankrupt his state.
WRONG!!!!! As usual.

I don't have to realize anything. YOU need to get your facts straight.

The Cornhusker Exemption was repealed in reconciliation. So, it NO LONGER EXISTS. As I told YOU, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/30049185-post30.html

Which, of course you never read because you only read the most recent post on a thread and respond to that, and never return.

Therefore, it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a dialogue with you on the issues in question.

It is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING to see your posts, many of which are completely wrong, continually repeated all over C-D because you NEVER BOTHER to come back to a thread.

Plus, you've disabled the ability for anyone here to send you a DM (wonder why), so the ONLY way anyone can communicate with you - fruitlessly - is on a thread on which you posted to which you NEVER RETURN.

In one day alone, a few weeks back, I counted 27 different threads on which you'd posted with nary a repeat, one on the Unemployment Forum which, once again, was completely WRONG, which I corrected and which, of course, you never returned to read.

The only reason I don't have YOU on IGNORE is because you spread misinformation on too many forums, which should not be allowed to stand as fact.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-19-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance