Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times

Advertisements

Do any of you 65 and older and on Medicare not purchase Part D Prescription Drug coverage? If you do not purchase it, what is your philosophy or point of view on it, and do you worry at all about not having the coverage it provides?

The drugs I take for high blood pressure and high cholesterol are all available for only $4 per month (or $10 for 3 months) at walmart.com without insurance. I will keep purchasing these thru walmart.com with or without Part D insurance, as nothing is cheaper than $4 per month.

So purchasing Part D Prescription Drug coverage would benefit people like myself only if they happen to need a specialized drug for a disease or condition sometime in the future - which I realize is the nature of insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Yes, I have considered this, as my drugs are similar to yours, all generics, and not expensive. But, if I should have something unusual come up, like cancer, parkinsons, multiple sclerosis, etc etc , and need one of those $5000 drugs, what would I do? Not a risk taker here. So I continue to pay for the Part D drugs, even though I don't need anything right now, but who knows what the future might bring???

Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Are you aware that there is, with limited exceptions, a penalty for not starting a Part D plan when first eligible ?
See pages 88 -89 of "Medicare & You"
http://www.medicare.gov/pubs/pdf/10050.pdf

Old 11-06-2012, 09:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
My husband and I were enrolled in Part D year before last and decided we came out even at best with the drug costs so decided not to enroll this year. The penality (at least currently) is small for each year you skip enrollment. However, now one of my husband's periodic meds, for gout has gone from very reasonable to $400/mo due to changes made by the drug company. Now we'll enroll again in Part D for 2013, under one of the cheapest plans with a zero deductible.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
My husband and I were enrolled in Part D year before last and decided we came out even at best with the drug costs so decided not to enroll this year. The penality (at least currently) is small for each year you skip enrollment. However, now one of my husband's periodic meds, for gout has gone from very reasonable to $400/mo due to changes made by the drug company. Now we'll enroll again in Part D for 2013, under one of the cheapest plans with a zero deductible.
Colcrys? Check the plan you buy carefully. Some don't cover Colcrys at all. Mine does - but it's a $40/month deductible (Tier 3 drug). Robyn

Old 11-07-2012, 06:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Townandcountrygal,

Where is there a "cheap plan with a zero deductible"? All the Part D plans with a zero deductible do not seem cheap to me. Maybe you mean $42 per month instead of $54 per month or something similar?

Because all the Part D plans I've seen which are inexpensive have a $320 per year deductible.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Colcrys? Check the plan you buy carefully. Some don't cover Colcrys at all. Mine does - but it's a $40/month deductible (Tier 3 drug). Robyn

Pretty sure I asked all plans if they cover Colcrys but it's good to double check before signing up--thank you.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Townandcountrygal,

Where is there a "cheap plan with a zero deductible"? All the Part D plans with a zero deductible do not seem cheap to me. Maybe you mean $42 per month instead of $54 per month or something similar?

Because all the Part D plans I've seen which are inexpensive have a $320 per year deductible.

None are truly cheap, are they. But I was looking at the plans ranging from $22. to $40. /mo with zero deductible (in NM).

Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
So purchasing Part D Prescription Drug coverage would benefit people like myself only if they happen to need a specialized drug for a disease or condition sometime in the future - which I realize is the nature of insurance.
Unfortunately, it's also the nature of advancing age to result in the need for other medications as the body begins to wear out. With the non-purchase penalty, you could end up more out-of-pocket by putting off Part D enrollment. Just something to think about!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,366 times
Something else you want to remember. For the most part, once the AEP timeline passes (after 12/7), you are LOCKED OUT of getting prescription coverage until January 1, 2014! So what happens if your health changes down the road in 2013 and you have expensive medications you have to take? You would be in a world of hurt! And yes there is the rx penalty assessed by Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance