Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 AM

154 posts, read 423,520 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to FL. I need health insurance and cannot depend on my company to have it for me when I get a job. I need low cost individual ins. Does anyone in FL have low cost health ins? What companies should I be looking at? Experiences ?? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,132,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
I am thinking about moving to FL. I need health insurance and cannot depend on my company to have it for me when I get a job. I need low cost individual ins. Does anyone in FL have low cost health ins? What companies should I be looking at? Experiences ?? Thank you

Good luck. You won't find low cost health insurance down here. Expect to pay several hundred (3-4) dollars a month for crappy coverage.

I noticed you said 'when' you get a job..don't move here unless you have a job already.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 AM

154 posts, read 423,520 times

Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,643,698 times
Move to an area with a better economy. That is NOT Florida.

Consider VA, Delaware, Maryland or other states on this list with low UE rates:

Unemployment Rates for States

Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 PM

23,666 posts, read 70,767,428 times
fuggedaboudit. Health insurance in south Florida grew to just about unaffordable, which is yet another reason we moved away.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:41 PM

15,104 posts, read 12,295,899 times
This has not been our experience. We purchased an individual Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida policy for our daughter when she was dumped off our plan at age 22- she was still in college at the time and we couldn't see her going without insurance. The coverage was good and our costs were approximately $200/month for a female non-smoker with no health issues at the time. Fast forward a couple years, she developed a serious cardiac condition that required numerous hospital stays, ER visits, cardiac procedures, doctors' visits, medication, and even a pacemaker, all of which were covered very well by her insurance company. The insurance company paid claims with no questions or problems, has provided superior customer service, and raised the rates moderately when they were raising rates anyway, not because of the number or cost of her claims. In fact, they lowered her premiums significantly when we moved from the southeast to the southwest Florida coast. After the last surgery (open heart) which apparently took care of her problem, she's much better. Her plans are to maintain that policy even when she gets a job that offers health insurance, since it seems to offer much more than many of the employers around here do.

I shudder to think what would have happened had she not had health insurance when her cardiac problems reared their ugly heads- considering those medical bills ( $120,000 billed to the insurance for one cardiac procedure and hospital stay in the CCU multiplied by????)

There are decent medical plans with fair costs around, you just have to look. Additionally,Florida has some laws on the books regarding raising of rates, and canceling coverage for individual subscribers that protect the subscribers.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 AM

550 posts, read 370,427 times
You can take a look for yourself at Compare Health Plans | FloridaHealthFinder.gov
and get an idea of costs.

Also, beginning in 2014 there should be federal insurance pools open to you due to Obamacare. I have no idea on how expensive or inexpensive they will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance