Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,299 times

Advertisements

I am unable to ever move to Hawai'i but I have visited Maui twice.

I do love it there and embarassed to admit to the locals that I did the typical touristy things. We went to 2 luau's and saw the history of hawaiian dancing, etc.

I personally loved it, and found it amazing that I was in the United States but got to experience this completely different culture... although I realize it was watered down and Americanized, which makes me a little sad for the native Hawaiians. I also have seen documentaries how it was basically taken over through hostile control by the US govt, so I know there are some deep undercurrents between natives and americans.

So my question is this, are hula dancers that perform at resorts resentful of having to perform their same act night after night? Do they feel like they have been reduced to a side show at a luau and think Americans are bigger pigs than the kalua pig they are roasting? Or do they take pride in all the fascination surrounding them and enjoy sharing their unique culture with the rest of the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 07:05 PM

292 posts, read 948,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I am unable to ever move to Hawai'i but I have visited Maui twice.

I do love it there and embarassed to admit to the locals that I did the typical touristy things. We went to 2 luau's and saw the history of hawaiian dancing, etc.

I personally loved it, and found it amazing that I was in the United States but got to experience this completely different culture... although I realize it was watered down and Americanized, which makes me a little sad for the native Hawaiians. I also have seen documentaries how it was basically taken over through hostile control by the US govt, so I know there are some deep undercurrents between natives and americans.

So my question is this, are hula dancers that perform at resorts resentful of having to perform their same act night after night? Do they feel like they have been reduced to a side show at a luau and think Americans are bigger pigs than the kalua pig they are roasting? Or do they take pride in all the fascination surrounding them and enjoy sharing their unique culture with the rest of the world?
I'm not really sure but "native" Hawaiians ARE Americans...

Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
I'm not really sure but "native" Hawaiians ARE Americans...
Yes, indeed they are now. But there was a time they existed independent of the US. Their original polynesian monarchy was overthrown and at some point they were basically adopted as Americans.

This gets really off the point, but if I'm thinking wrong about that, please let me know.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:18 PM

292 posts, read 948,548 times
I understand your point and I know the history. I am saying only that if you asked the dancers et al about how they feel about "Americans" they will likely be insulted.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
...So my question is this, are hula dancers that perform at resorts resentful of having to perform their same act night after night? Do they feel like they have been reduced to a side show at a luau and think Americans are bigger pigs than the kalua pig they are roasting? Or do they take pride in all the fascination surrounding them and enjoy sharing their unique culture with the rest of the world?
They are not forced to do this. They do it out of pride and honor for their heritage.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:42 PM

45 posts, read 157,820 times
Performing any act night after night would be rather repetitious and boring and I would only do it to pay the bills.
Do the Navajos in Arizona doing their shows for the tourists feel exploited?
How about the calypso bands down in Jamaica?
It's all business and money and the performers are just like everyone else and chat on cellphones and shop at 7/11's.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:06 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24kgold View Post
Performing any act night after night would be rather repetitious and boring and I would only do it to pay the bills.
Do the Navajos in Arizona doing their shows for the tourists feel exploited?
How about the calypso bands down in Jamaica?
It's all business and money and the performers are just like everyone else and chat on cellphones and shop at 7/11's.
Hula (and Hawaii heritage) is different. People (men and women) learn hula because they want to. It is a part of their heritage. The good ones then turn that ability in a career. Most don't do this night after night. The good ones at the best shows do it 1-2 days per week and probably earn more than you think.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:07 PM

263 posts, read 867,456 times
Luaus put on by hotels are watered down and Americanized. I'm glad you recognize that fact. I hope no one attending a luau really thinks that's Native Hawaiian food. Luaus put on for tourists are entertainment. It's so they can go back and have something to share with the folks back home. It's giving tourists what they want to see. It's a business interpretation of what was once authentic. It's not some great cultural lesson. The problem is when people who attend these luaus believe that what they are seeing is authentic.

People work at luaus do it because it's a job. It's a way for them to make ends meet. There isn't some great and noble purpose in working at a luau. I asked my husband who is part-Hawaiian what he thought of commercial luaus. He thinks the commercial luaus are ripping people off by making them think they've had some genuine encounter with Native Hawaiian culture when in fact they haven't. Coconut shell bras, teriyaki chicken, silly antics by the host..that's not a real luau. Some of the dances you see at the luaus aren't even Hawaiian. Most of the commercial luaus have Tahitian dances and the audience members who don't know any better thinks it's the hula.

If I go to a luau these days I go to those put on by a family for a baby's first birthday or college graduation or some other momentous occasion.

If you want something more authentic go to something like the Merrie Monarch Festival in Hilo or watch it on local tv when it comes on. At least the hulas at the Merrie Monarch are choreographed by a kumu hula. I highly doubt the so called hula dances you see at hotel luaus are created by kumu hula.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:30 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishwithabike View Post
...He thinks the commercial luaus are ripping people off by making them think they've had some genuine encounter with Native Hawaiian culture when in fact they haven't.
Exactly.

And such -- and the other carefully manufactured aspects of the "Hawai`i Tourist Experience" -- is often part of the reason that folks who come for a visit get starstruck, want to move to Hawai`i, and discover the reality (for good and ill) of actually living in the actual local culture.

Quote:
If I go to a luau these days I go to those put on by a family for a baby's first birthday or college graduation or some other momentous occasion. If you want something more authentic go to something like the Merrie Monarch Festival in Hilo or watch it on local tv when it comes on. At least the hulas at the Merrie Monarch are choreographed by a kumu hula. I highly doubt the so called hula dances you see at hotel luaus are created by kumu hula.
Well put on all counts. We had a halau dance at one of our church services not long ago. It was very moving and completely unlike the commercial tourist industry version of hula.

Often on Friday afternoons at the Hilo airport, a local halau or singing group will spend several hours playing in the main lobby area. It's quite lovely and quite "local" rather than touristy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
They are not forced to do this. They do it out of pride and honor for their heritage.
Those less malihini know that this is a generalization badly in need of nuance.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:32 PM

Right, to address a few posts in one reply:

1st, I was never seeking to isolate native hawaiians as not american. I had only brought that up because I had seen some hawaiian material recounting history through THEIR eyes. It made me contemplate how they feel about performing for an audience that they also feel has ruined the culture they are putting on display.

I live in AZ, so I do ask the same questions about the Navajo dancers. Since I live here I can tell you that they are very quiet and deep. They arent vocal complainers especially to a white person, but when you see them outside of these pow-wow's serving you fast food at arby's you just know they hate you. And maybe I would too if I were them.

Mostly I have a lot of respect for all different cultures and get tired of feeling like the greedy american pig that goes about gawking at other cultures since our own country has so little of it. Was curious if any insiders over there could shed a little light on what its like from the other side of the fence... but I realize, probably not many hula dancers are out there reading the forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii