Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 PM

371 posts, read 886,542 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Regretably, I read the thread on centipedes. I was thinking about either getting a hotel or renting a villa. Now, I'm concerned that if I rent a villa I will run into 6-12 inch centipedes. I'm terrified of them. I'm horrified that if I get a villa that I will wake up to one on or over me.

Now...Should I be concerned about the centipede and bug population there? Will I run into them?

Thank you for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 PM

227 posts, read 917,921 times
I have been living in Kauai for over a year now and have not seen a centipede yet. Roaches....yes.....centipedes.....no. I know they exist here but was told they are usually under stones and rocks in the yard and not in the house.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:06 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times
I've been living in Maui for a couple of weeks now, haven't seen one yet... I'm more worried about the cannibals myself,, I hear they're everywhere!!!!! And, where ever you are on the mainland now, you can pretty much rest assured that your bug problem over there is far worse than the one here... or so I've heard.....................

Aloha and,,,, uuuurrrrpppp, scuze me, okolemaluna

Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,613 times
Love you always as Jongohann...

really if you are so worried about a bug you will more than acutally see , your more than not in a resort get over your fear or forget about going to Hawaii. I was gonna saw more but it isn't worth it Be afraid stay away..

Old 10-14-2009, 02:49 AM

263 posts, read 867,456 times
I've never seen a centipede in a home in all the years I've lived on Oahu and I've been here for over 2 decades. I really think you're overthinking this.

As Jongohann mentioned, it's the cannibals you have to watch out for. They're everywhere.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:16 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Love you always as Jongohann...
I agree. Your posts put a little humor in my day. It's too bad your name is so uncommon, it's hard to write right. Jungjohann.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:00 AM

432 posts, read 1,202,408 times
We would usually see 2-3 a week, most often in the garage in the mornings but when it had rained extensively we'd find them in the house too.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,455 times
Now that I think about it, we've seen very few in our house -- maybe 4 in 8 years. I think all but one were dead by the time we found them. MUCH less common -- and less embarrassing -- than the r-words. We get a lot of gekkos indoors, though, and are always relocating them to where they belong. For good luck, of course.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
If you are concerned about centipedes while you are sleeping, make sure the covers don't touch the floor so they won't be able to climb up. Centipedes don't intentionally attack people, it is more of an accident than anything else. Their sting, for me at least - YMMV, is similar to a bad wasp sting that stays tender for several days.

I don't think a centipede over you would be something to worry about. I've never seen one on a ceiling. They prefer being under rocks and things where they hunt for bugs to eat. Now if we could just get them to eat coqui frogs....

Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 PM

292 posts, read 948,548 times
I am pretty OK with bugs, even large spiders don't phase me.
But that centipede on the street in Pahoa in August was unreal. Something about something that big, having that many legs all moving at once..
I think I would have to watch a movie of them over and over to get desensitized..

But they wouldn't prevent me from moving!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii