Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 AM

703 posts, read 2,944,249 times

Advertisements

I will be flying from Maui to Kauai via Honolulu in January on Hawaiian Airline. My concern is how big is the inter-island terminal? Based on the purchased itinerary, we leave OGG at 9:18am and arrive in HNL at 9:52am. THEN we leave HNL at 10:25am to arrive at LIH at 11:02am. Is 30 minutes between landing and take-off enough to get on the flight AND have our luggage loaded onto the LIH flight?!?!? I know how incredibly tight this schedule is (I had an attention lapse when I was booking), but has anyone done it before?

I T I N E R A R Y :
DEPART: Maui - Kahului (OGG) 09:18 AM
ARRIVE: Oahu - Honolulu (HNL) 09:52 AM
CLASS/ROUTE: Coach/Nonstop
FLIGHT: HA133

DEPART: Oahu - Honolulu (HNL) 10:25 AM
ARRIVE: Kauai - Lihue (LIH) 11:02 AM
CLASS/ROUTE: Coach/Nonstop
FLIGHT: HA139

If not, I have no idea why the airline made this reservation available to begin with. What happens if either the passengers or their luggages miss the connection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,899,252 times
Call Hawaiian (800-367-5320) to be sure, but it's possibly the same plane, just with a stop in HNL. That's what we did the last time we flew from OGG to LIH. A lot of neighbor-island flights go through HNL to consolidate there.

Also, I think Hawaiian flies into the regular domestic terminal at HNL. The inter-island terminal serves Go!, IslandAir, and others that fly smaller craft.

Others may know specifics, but I think you'll be fine.

Last edited by whynot?; 08-04-2008 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 PM

47 posts, read 170,925 times
I've done connections like that before at HNL and it usually works ok. Hawaiian does operate its inter-island flights out of the inter-island terminal and that walk is very easy between gates. Its also entirely possible that its the same plane. My experience is that that their turnaround times are quick.

As far as baggage goes, that shouldnt be an issue either. In fact, more often than not, if I check in at OGG early enough, they put my bags on the next flight out. in March with I went to LIH from HNL, my bags were already waiting for me at baggage claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii