Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:15 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Oahu in a couple of months. Being from the Rocky Mountains, I'm really looking forward to some quality beach time. My wife, however, is afraid of sharks. Specifically, we saw a news story last night about a woman who was bitten while snorkeling. I really want to go snorkeling, actually. But my wife is dead set against it now.

So, realistically, how serious is the problem. How can one mitigate the risks. Where are the best beaches. And yes I realize, millions of people swim in the waters every year with only a couple of incidents. But I need to allay her fears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
A common (but apparently statistically true) saw over here is that "you are more likely to be killed by a falling coconut than bitten by a shark." Now, before you laugh, I have read stories in the paper about people being killed when hit on the head by falling coconuts. Especially golf course employees.

Obviously the shark attacks get more news coverage. I'm on Maui, and we probably average 1-3 shark attacks per year. Deaths from shark attacks are rare, many are serious cuts, some mere scratches. But not to minimize, they ARE in the water, wherever they care to be.

Our beach patrols do an excellent job of tracking them -- once they've been reported. A beach on the north shore of Kauai was closed much of last weekend owing to shark sightings in addition to the woman who was bitten on Oahu. I've never seen a shark, but I have seen the beach patrol searching with helicopters and watercraft after a sighting was called in.

Most tourist snorkel areas are "safe" with shallower waters. We snorkel all the time. I probably wouldn't snorkel alone or at dawn or dusk (no light anyway). Other than Hanauma Bay on Oahu and Molokini (lava tube) near Maui, snorkel sites are not that crowded, so there's no need to seek out some remote place in order to see amazing things -- especially if you're a novice. Stick to the known snorkel locations and avoid any place where you see (or smell) dead fish.

Or go on an organized snorkel trip that has a lifeguard in the water. There's usually a nice half-day on a boat with snacks and a good marine biology orientation and in addition to the added security of having experienced people watching out for you.

Last edited by whynot?; 07-27-2008 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 PM

7,913 posts, read 933,126 times
Shark attacks are very rare, do not go in the water if you are bleeding and do not pee in the water because sharks are attaracted to that. Go to a beach with a lifegraud because they will report faster if there is a shark sighting.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:39 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
1,000 people in the world drown for every shark attack or shark related death.

Believe it or not (by scientists studies) for every 60 bites from a shark there are 25% of New Yorkers that bite each other!

WikiAnswers - How many people have been killed in shark attacks

Old 07-28-2008, 12:41 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
More people are killed by dog attacks, or New Yorkers looking for a "bite", than are killed in shark attacks. Well, the dog part is true, the rest is Hank (joke)......All my years of paddling here on Maui, and it's been a lot, I've never even seen a shark. But, if there is something out there that "wants" to kill you, it more than likely will, be it a shark, kaku, (barracuda), stickfish, or some idiot in a speed boat too close to shore. As was stated, don't go out before sunrise or after sunset, and definitely don't go out if the water is murky, which happens after a storm from rain runoff and the resulting mud, debris etc.. And, if you are free diving, get plenty of air into your lungs when you resurface, to avoid carbon dioxide poisoning, it happens..........

Aloha and enjoy your stay

Old 07-28-2008, 06:41 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
Same advice as everyone else. Avoid stormy, murky, churned up water not because you can't see the shark, but because it can't see you. Most sharks don't really want to eat humans, we aren't tasty enough. So many bites are mistakes.

I don't swim near where people are fishing. Not only don't I want a hook in my skin, I don't think the thrashing fish nearby is a good idea for my safety.

If you don't see locals in the water, it's a good idea not to go in yourself. Not just because of the sharks.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to the trip!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:11 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
By the way Cool Cats, don't tell her all of this. You just guide where you go and when you jump in the water. If you see it murky, don't tell her that is dangerous. Just tell her you want to go shopping or back to the pool.

By the way, Myth Busters proved that urine does not attract sharks.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 AM

156 posts, read 805,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
By the way, Myth Busters proved that urine does not attract sharks.
Good! I like to be properly hydrated when I surf.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 PM

66 posts, read 233,331 times
Do you ever go into the forest where you live? Are rattlesnakes and others kinds in there? Yes...... But you go anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii