Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 11:45 AM

12 posts, read 45,096 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I am just starting to research a relocation to Hawaii.

My son, now almost 14, will be moving into his own life in 4 years. We will be 40 and 45 when this happens. We will have been in Alaska for 18 years at that time and are planning a change. We love it here and will always return for a stint in the summer, but the slower, warmer island life is calling us...

We love the outdoors and are considering maybe doing some type of eco style camp on one of the islands. We have visited Oahu several times, but have not yet visited other islands. We plan to visit many islands in the next few years. So many islands, so little time to get to all of them!

I have 2 questions that will help me decide how to move forward. One, I keep hearing that it is very hard to fit in as a local if you are not "from" Hawaii and that locals do not like outsiders opening businesses. I find it hard to believe because I have always been treated with kindness and respect while in Hawaii. Can someone help me with that question? It really stresses me out to think we would have to deal with any weirdness like that...

Second, can someone help me understand the leased land thing? I hear lots of land is leased for long periods of time, not out right purchased. Is there a benefit to that?

Remember, this is the beginning of a 4 year plan...

Thanks, Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 PM

850 posts, read 4,367,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellywilliams View Post
I have 2 questions that will help me decide how to move forward. One, I keep hearing that it is very hard to fit in as a local if you are not "from" Hawaii and that locals do not like outsiders opening businesses. I find it hard to believe because I have always been treated with kindness and respect while in Hawaii. Can someone help me with that question? It really stresses me out to think we would have to deal with any weirdness like that...

Second, can someone help me understand the leased land thing? I hear lots of land is leased for long periods of time, not out right purchased. Is there a benefit to that?

Remember, this is the beginning of a 4 year plan...

Thanks, Kelly
aloha, kelly!

what kind of business were you thinking of opening? IMO, most people say that it's difficult to do business in hawai'i rather than we don't like outsiders opening businesses. for me, i didn't have any any difficulties (food businesss/restaurant) except that the lease rent kept rising which finally led to the closing of our restaurant. that was a blessing in disguise.

here in kailua, o'ahu, there's a sad situation going on whereby, "a rental housing project was converted to a cooperative housing corporation with buyers of individual units receiving ownership shares in the cooperative. the building is connected to an old cesspool system that the federal environmental protection agency required to be clsoed by the end of last year." apparently, a lawsuit has been filed citing that the, "landowner, castle family llc, did not meet a legal obligation to offer shareholders in the co-op project the right of first refusal to buy the land under the building."

i mentioned another situation whereby my brother-in-law is trying to sell his leasehold condo on maui. while the sale is under contract, the purchaser is aware that a special assessment of app. $40k/owner will be charged for new roofing. he pays app. $1000/mth for maintenance and cannot rent the unit without taking a loss.

so, my advice to you, would be to work with a realtor.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM

12 posts, read 45,096 times
Thank you for the heads up Kani-Lehua! The lease hold thing is something I have never heard of. It's very interesting. Nothing like that here in Alaska.

The business I am thinking of would be an eco-camp. By this I mean a camp that would offer long term (2-3 weeks) camping to visitors. The idea is to have a sort of half stucture, with some canvas and screen and have it fully equipt so that families could camp on the island with out having to bring all the gear. We camped in the Virgin Islands at a two camps that work this way. It was cheap (by Virgin Island standards), we met tons of like minded people and the camps were designed around the natural beauty of the area so you could enjoy the islands the way they were ment to be. It's a huge undertaking, but I just turned 40 and I'm ready to make the jump! No regrets yet, but if I stay at my desk job till I'm 60....I think I'll regret it!!!

I've been seaching Hawaii, cant find anything like it. I was in Oahu in November and I asked several locals about such a place. No one knew of one.

The cost of land will determine if it is viable.

I've looked up some info on line and found that Hawaii is trying to expand ecotourism to slow down some of the big hotels, is that your feeling there?

I tried to make it to Kailua when I was there last, but it was a huge wind storm! We stayed put!

Thanks for the help.
Kelly

Old 01-08-2008, 02:51 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,308,859 times
starbulletin.com | Business | /2007/12/17/

The article above deals with some of the current issues related to leashold properties.

Since you mention an "eco-" type property, I would venture to guess that you will be drawn an island other than Oahu. If that turns out to be the case, it becomes a fairly remote possibility that a property that you would find that would meet your needs would be a leasehold property.

Your best plan is definitely to spend as much time on different islands as you can over the next four years--there is nothing like first-hand experience here to guide you to the right place for you and your family!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 57,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellywilliams View Post
....One, I keep hearing that it is very hard to fit in as a local if you are not "from" Hawaii and that locals do not like outsiders opening businesses. I find it hard to believe because I have always been treated with kindness and respect while in Hawaii. Can someone help me with that question? It really stresses me out to think we would have to deal with any weirdness like that...
Hi Kelly,
I lived with my wife on Kauai for 4 years 90-94. Absolute paradise if you are outdoors person !
We lived on the east side in Wailua Homesteads.

In some ways you have to have thick skin if you are a haole.
Don't get me wrong, I met a lot of great locals through work and around town but occasionally you would get stink-eye or "$%^# haole" comments. It seemed to bother my wife more than me.

I am in the same boat as you. Our only son is almost 15 and we are thinking of moving back once he is on his own.
I have missed Kauai a lot over the past 13 years.

Good luck to you and aloha,
Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii