Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,761,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's not accurate. As the article said "There are currently only a limited number of openly transgender elected officials serving in the US and around the world. "

IOW, she was a first for the state, not for the country.
So what is limited number mean? 2-5? Still impressive because there are 50 states. But mahalo for pointing out my error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:46 PM

Look at how many posts we have with firsts in the country, new ideals etc etc. Remember Hawaii is one of the youngest states. We have more firsts and etc then most old states. So can we say Hawai'i is unique in this way too? Hmmm sometimes i think we overlook the beut of the forest because of the ugliness of a few trees. Anyway aloha.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 PM

438 posts, read 660,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's not accurate. As the article said "There are currently only a limited number of openly transgender elected officials serving in the US and around the world. "

IOW, she was a first for the state, not for the country.
I must have remembered wrong. I didn't look it up before posting. Sorry.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing traveler View Post
I must have remembered wrong. I didn't look it up before posting. Sorry.
Np no biggie laughing traveler. Its not about looking good, i can be wrong(i am often wrong about things once in awhile)

Oh and Mahalo for your post and contribution. I should have read it completely b4 posting it, it was my fault for being lazy.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:47 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Look at how many posts we have with firsts in the country, new ideals etc etc. Remember Hawaii is one of the youngest states.
We don't have that many firsts. We have many firsts on the island but not a lot of firsts in the US as proved by the recent "firsts" that aren't firsts.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:59 AM

119 posts, read 207,277 times
According to a Hawaiian friend of mine, Hawaii has had universal healthcare for everyone since Queen Emma's day. We have argued over that fact. I worked part time in Waikiki years ago, and had none. He insists I was wrong, and I cold have gone to a doctor for free at any time.

So please so I can tell Kalani, is he right or wrong? Thinking about returning to Hawaii to live out the last of my years. I would like to know what I would be getting myself into. Looking at Pahoa, Big Island. Retired, Gay Man.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
According to a Hawaiian friend of mine, Hawaii has had universal healthcare for everyone since Queen Emma's day. We have argued over that fact. I worked part time in Waikiki years ago, and had none. He insists I was wrong, and I cold have gone to a doctor for free at any time.

So please so I can tell Kalani, is he right or wrong? Thinking about returning to Hawaii to live out the last of my years. I would like to know what I would be getting myself into. Looking at Pahoa, Big Island. Retired, Gay Man.
No, Hawaii does not Universal Healthcare for everyone - employers are required to offer people who work 20 hours per week healthcare - and for individuals, there are maximums the employers may charge.

And, if you have healthcare - you are subject to copays when you go to the doctor.

Starting around October - more healthcare options will be available to uninsured due to Obamacare via the Hawaii Health Connector - which is meant to be a state exchange where plans compete for your business and you get federal credits to help pay for the cost - but in Hawaii, it remains to be seen how effective that will be as only 2 insurers signed up - so that isn't much competition. Regardless, it won't be free.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Here is another first that Hawai'i has done that no one else in the country has done. And in my opinion is great. Further, lol im sure if im wrong about this that my brahs will tell me Mahalo.

Daily Kos: Hawaii is first in the nation

Old 08-23-2013, 01:46 AM

Aloha did you know that Hawai'i is the fist and only state in the nation to have this:

The Supreme Court Decision

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 AM

Did you know Hawai'i is the first and only state in the country the consists of entirely of islands.

Feel free to posts your Hawai'i is the first to do, have, etc in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii