Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 PM

32 posts, read 109,884 times

Advertisements

Hi I have bee reading the pro's and cons of moving. I am a Ultrasound tech and am considering the area of Kona. Dose anybody know what it is like to work for the Hawaii Health Systems. I am in my 50's and can't believe I am thinking of moving. We love Hawaii and as we are getting close to reirement I have a few concerns. I do'nt want to move and feel like I am taking someone's job. I want to respect the Hawaiian culture and feel that jobs should be theirs first if qualified. I am to old to be out thereconstantly looking for a job. I just want to move relax and enjoy my life. Any thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,047 times
It's the United States.

If you would move from Illinois to Missouri, or Nebraska to South Dakota, and "take someones job," then you can move to Hawaii just as well.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:42 PM

59 posts, read 311,986 times
What is your definition of "Hawaiian " ?

There are approx. 400,000 true Hawaiians in the U.S. They have either full or part Hawaiian bloodlines. Approx. 200 thousand are in Hawaii, 200 thousand are scattered about the mainland.

The majority of "locals" are rather "mixed plate" = a mix of Hawaiian, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, Caucasian so on and so forth.

In any event, while I live on the Hilo side of The Big Island, I would recommend Kona to you. Less expensive than Oahu , nice weather, more "progressive" and "mainland" than Hilo side, but still rather country.

I would *suspect* you could pick up a medical job as the healthcare field is always advertising for employees.

Greg

Old 10-08-2007, 10:51 PM

32 posts, read 109,884 times
Thanks for the information, I think with all the threads out there I am going to be fine. I am applying for a job tonight.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 PM

59 posts, read 311,986 times
Good for You !!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 PM

68 posts, read 245,200 times
Aloha Kaiser. Let me know how your search goes. Im trying to talk my wife into moving out to Hawaii on a part time basis in a couple years when we retire. Shes a filipina RN and I work for the state here. She has family back here and doesnt want to move away full time. We will both have pensions but will look for part time jobs there, both for the money and the chance to meet people. Im feeling the same way as you about hoping my getting a job wouldnt be taking it away from a local. I liked Kona too but also like growing things so I was leaning towards the Hilo side (Honokaa is really a cool little town there). But my wife likes Kauai so if Im going to talk her in to anything we might end up there. Good luck! Malama pono

Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
kawika52: Please note the dates (and year) of the posts...

Old 10-04-2009, 02:55 PM

28 posts, read 75,597 times
The concern the people of Hawaii have is that over hundreds of the local people graduate from colloge every year with degrees in the healthcare field. No one hires them because they have no experience. So, as an RN, I work with people from the mainland. Even when offering jobs, the non-union places offer insulting hourly wage in an attempt to drive down wage. As a union RN I make $24 an hour less then my mainland counterparts. When I was 18 yeas old on the island of Kauai the population was less then 5 thousand people (that's including tourists). Today the people population is over 68 thousand people. The islands cannot expand to tolerate the ever increasing wishful population of people flying in and staying. There are serious racial issues abounding due to overcrowding. If you talk with anyone who knows what I'm talking about you will re-consider a move here. I offer this advise to you because people who want to move to Hawaii need to realize that the local people are moving to the mainland because there is no place left to live and no jobs. I am attempting to put the white elephant in the room out there that no one wants to addresses.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinty View Post
The concern the people of Hawaii have is that over hundreds of the local people graduate from colloge every year with degrees in the healthcare field. No one hires them because they have no experience. So, as an RN, I work with people from the mainland. Even when offering jobs, the non-union places offer insulting hourly wage in an attempt to drive down wage. As a union RN I make $24 an hour less then my mainland counterparts. When I was 18 yeas old on the island of Kauai the population was less then 5 thousand people (that's including tourists). Today the people population is over 68 thousand people. The islands cannot expand to tolerate the ever increasing wishful population of people flying in and staying. There are serious racial issues abounding due to overcrowding. If you talk with anyone who knows what I'm talking about you will re-consider a move here. I offer this advise to you because people who want to move to Hawaii need to realize that the local people are moving to the mainland because there is no place left to live and no jobs. I am attempting to put the white elephant in the room out there that no one wants to addresses.
The entire world's population is increasing. Any attempts to limit growth will result in higher housing prices. Wages are low because people are willing to accept those lower wages.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:12 PM

28 posts, read 75,597 times
The growth is the problem. There is no more land. It is the foreigners, whom are accepting the low wages (foreigners=anyone not from Hawaii) that are driving down the wages. The entire world's population is increasing but there IS land to expand. Not so in Hawaii. Higher housing prices are a joke and the local people aren't amused. I know too many people that don't have a job because a person that just moved here will do it for less. There was a time when proposals were put forward to limit the amount of people moving here, but Hawaii is part of the USA, therefore it was deemed unconstitutional. People need to realize that their 'Flights of Fancy' and 'The Baby Boomer's' delusion of moving to Hawaii is not condusive to - amount of people, amount of land. Is it too much to put things into perspective? I know my responses to people moving to Hawaii are recieved with negativaty but I feel the responsibilty to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii