Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 AM

42 posts, read 88,941 times

Advertisements

So hello everyone, I have been going through the hiring process with a large company in Hawaii. I originally was hoping for Big Island or Maui but because I was just so excited I initially put in for everything. Based on how difficult everyone makes it sound to get a job in Hawaii from the mainland, I wanted to increase my odds.

Well, I have never been to Kauai. I have been to BI, Maui and Oahu and loved them all. I can appreciate a small town feel and I want to feel safe so it's not that Kauai is out of the question, it's just that I have never been there and it seems crazy to take such a big leap of faith.

So help, would I be a moron to turn down this opportunity? (Not that I have gotten the job offer yet, it's just what they moved forward with)

Anyways, please let me know what you folks think. I hate the rain, that is why I am trying to leave Seattle. Word on the street is that Kauai rains a lot, so thats annoying. I look forward to hearing your guys' opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 AM

9,336 posts, read 16,722,000 times
Kauai is a beautiful, peaceful, lush island. The heavy rain tends to be on the north side of the island (Hanelei, Princeville). Of course the weather on any of the islands is always interesting i.e. can be raining on one side and nice and sunny on the other.

I would take Kauai over BI anyday. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 PM

198 posts, read 388,307 times
I love Kauai more than any other island and that is why I bought my retirment home there. I would jump at the chance and never look back. Will there be difficulties? Yes, but the rewards will dwarf them.

Let us know how you end up.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,019,342 times
While I love Kauai - a big adjustment for a 20-something female is dating - if the very small pool of potential dates isn't a big deal give it a shot.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:03 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,825,173 times
I have lived on most every island, or at least spent extended periods of time on them. I can live an any island I want (due to work, wages, planning, etc.) I chose the Big Island, Kona side.

BUT others have different preferences. You see, each person has certain things that they want in their environment, different priorities, different needs. Additionally for that person, what is a good "fit" this year or decade might be totally different 10 years from now.

Perhaps you should write out your priorities, and then ask specific questions we can help you with.

But I will toss in now that if you need to relocate to a certain island, and you are unsure if you will like it there, it would be worth the cost of the plane fare to check it out before you move. You can get from Seattle to Kauai, including rental car and cheap hotel, for probably under $1000. Well worth it if it keeps you from making a costly mistake.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM

42 posts, read 88,941 times
I'm about to do my phone interview, I have decided if the job offer comes, I would be an idiot to not take it. It's a big company that has opportunities on every island. Plus, cost of living in kauai seems to be much cheaper based on my 5 minutes of research on craigs list. I am trying to convince my boyfriend if 8 years to go with me but he simply won't. So that also makes this decision hard. This is just my dream job in an amazing location, I would regret it if I didn't for it.

Wish me luck guys, I will totally keep you all posted!! You are all so polite and helpful whenever I have questions!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:15 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,063,520 times
Best wishes to you no matter what; I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:44 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,466,841 times
While it can be rainy on Kauai, its not really rainy here like it is in Seattle.

I would prefer Kauai over BI b/c I feel like Kauai is more accessible. It is easy to go from Waimea to Koloa to Lihue to Kapaa. BI seems so much bigger.

Kauai is very small town and can be very isolating, but I love it. If you have specific questions, let me know!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,546,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstoner View Post
I'm about to do my phone interview, I have decided if the job offer comes, I would be an idiot to not take it. It's a big company that has opportunities on every island. Plus, cost of living in kauai seems to be much cheaper based on my 5 minutes of research on craigs list. I am trying to convince my boyfriend if 8 years to go with me but he simply won't. So that also makes this decision hard. This is just my dream job in an amazing location, I would regret it if I didn't for it.

Wish me luck guys, I will totally keep you all posted!! You are all so polite and helpful whenever I have questions!
Cost of living on Kauai is NOT cheaper than the other islands! Not even close.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 AM

9,336 posts, read 16,722,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstoner View Post

Live your dream! I would think your BF of 8 years would want what makes you happy and the best for you. If you don't do it, you will always think, "coulda, shoulda, woulda." Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii